Vikings Add Dom Capers to 2020 Coaching Staff

perrynoid

giphy.gif

Why would they bring Capers in here when he was just a waste of space in Green Bay for the better part of a decade?  I know you probably aren't going to need to do much when you're on Mike Zimmer's defensive coaching staff, but surely they could have found someone who had more to offer than this stiff. 

I'm becoming more and more convinced that 2020 will be the last year of the Mike Zimmer era in Minnesota.

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, swede700 said:

As I sort of posted in the other thread, while helping Andre and Adam out may be the initial thought, he could also have been hired to help out the new DB coach, considering that's Capers' specialty.

I'm coming back and re-affirming my initial thought...even moreso now this seems to make the most sense.  @vegas492 indicated that Capers is not good for young corners, but that was when he was the full DC, not just a senior assistant coach.  Capers made his bones as a DB coach, most notably as Jim Mora's DBs coach with the Saints.  So, I imagine he'll spend most of his time with them, and maybe dabbling a little in helping Andre and Adam.  It's certainly interesting, if not truly odd, but we'll have to see if it works.  You never know.  

11 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

giphy.gif

Why would they bring Capers in here when he was just a waste of space in Green Bay for the better part of a decade?  I know you probably aren't going to need to do much when you're on Mike Zimmer's defensive coaching staff, but surely they could have found someone who had more to offer than this stiff. 

I'm becoming more and more convinced that 2020 will be the last year of the Mike Zimmer era in Minnesota.

I'm sure he has a ton of football knowledge.  He may not be a good defensive coordinator at this point of his career, but that's not his job here.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

giphy.gif

Interesting note in the Gen forum that the Packers lead the league in INTs 3 years running early on in his tenure and since he isnt calling plays he can focus on the DBs making more plays perhaps?

I actually like it in this context, would hate it if he were calling plays.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, swede700 said:

I'm coming back and re-affirming my initial thought...even moreso now this seems to make the most sense.  @vegas492 indicated that Capers is not good for young corners, but that was when he was the full DC, not just a senior assistant coach.  Capers made his bones as a DB coach, most notably as Jim Mora's DBs coach with the Saints.  So, I imagine he'll spend most of his time with them, and maybe dabbling a little in helping Andre and Adam.  It's certainly interesting, if not truly odd, but we'll have to see if it works.  You never know.  

Dom's early teams feasted on turnovers.  We had Woodson, Collins, Prime Tramon...etc.  He did put those guys in a position to make plays.  I give him credit for that.

But...when they were washed, the young corners just couldn't grasp his system.  Led to wide open, long TD plays.  It was tough to stomach.  We haven't had those lapses since he left.

Jacksonville went from the 5'th best scoring defense in 2018 to 21'st in 2019 with him there.  I'm positive it wasn't all him, but he moved on really quickly.

Maybe he will be better as as Pseudo DB consultant.  But his past returns on the defense are not good.  

Just me speculating here, but this to me seems like Zimm doing a solid for someone that he respects.

As a fan...I think you need to hope that his ideas/schemes do not hit the defensive playbook.  Keep him big picture, bounce ideas off of him, but still let Zimm run everything.  And I think that is probably what will happen.

My $.02.  Or maybe it is $.04.

• Like 3