perrynoid

Vikings Add Dom Capers to 2020 Coaching Staff

Don't worry Vikes fans, you should be fine as long as he's not calling the plays.

9 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

Don't worry Vikes fans, you should be fine as long as he's not calling the plays.

Seems like Capers will mostly be there to help with the DBs. Zimmer calls plays and most of the scheming, it’s his defense at the end of the day.

12 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Seems like Capers will mostly be there to help with the DBs. Zimmer calls plays and most of the scheming, it’s his defense at the end of the day.

Ah yes, the shining part of the Packers defense during his tenure

15 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Capers has been Mr Expansion Team, working with Houston, Carolina, JAX and now Minny.
Currently he's persona non grata in Packer Nation, but he did deliver a top rated defense and another Trophy in Titletown

And his toupee is epic

Image result for lego man hair dom capers

FWIW I don't think it's a toupee. most would be glad to hair that amount of hair in their 70s.

He'll be there as a pressure package consultant like he was in Jacksonville. His role is essentially "old guy who's seen a bunch of stuff in his day to bounce ideas off of"

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Zim's just loading up on bodies he can jettison after another failed season. It's straight out of the Job Security playbook.
When the people call for red meat.....you gotta throw them some :)

19 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Capers has been Mr Expansion Team, working with Houston, Carolina, JAX and now Minny.
Currently he's persona non grata in Packer Nation, but he did deliver a top rated defense and another Trophy in Titletown

And his toupee is epic

Almost as bad as trumps. xD

3 hours ago, Cheesehawk said:

Ah yes, the shining part of the Packers defense during his tenure

(RE: coaching DBs)

Note: The Packers kicked *** on the INT side early in his tenure, ranking number 1 in opponent INTs for 3 years running.
Capers defense had similar success in opponent passer rating, another area he focused on
And he helped take a malcontent DB from OAK and turn him into the DPOY in 2009, that's no small feat
I know Packer fans love to dump a steaming load on the guy and that's fine. But let's at least acknowledge both sides of the ledger

Capers certainly needed to go, but to mis-represent his contributions to a Title run seems off base to me.
During the 2010 SB run, Tramon sealed the deal vs Philly with an INT, he did the same thing vs ATL in the divisional round with 2 clutch INTs.
Against Chicago in the NFCCG, it was Raji's zone drop INT that helped seal that victory and the final drive from the bears ended on an INT from Shields
In the SB win over Pitt, Nick Collins pick 6 was a critical play in determining the outcome and even Jarrett Bush got on into the box score with an INT

The Packers won a Super Bowl starting two UDFAs at corner...but Capers sucks at coaching DB's ?

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Zim's just loading up on bodies he can jettison after another failed season. It's straight out of the Job Security playbook.
When the people call for red meat.....you gotta throw them some :)

Are you capable of making a non-trolling post about a NFCN rival? I think you're the "leader" when it comes to these posts. 🙄🙄

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Are you capable of making a non-trolling post about a NFCN rival? I think you're the "leader" when it comes to these posts. 🙄🙄

Trolling? You consider that trolling? Not even close. 

10 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

(RE: coaching DBs)

Note: The Packers kicked *** on the INT side early in his tenure, ranking number 1 in opponent INTs for 3 years running.
Capers defense had similar success in opponent passer rating, another area he focused on
And he helped take a malcontent DB from OAK and turn him into the DPOY in 2009, that's no small feat
I know Packer fans love to dump a steaming load on the guy and that's fine. But let's at least acknowledge both sides of the ledger

Capers certainly needed to go, but to mis-represent his contributions to a Title run seems off base to me.
During the 2010 SB run, Tramon sealed the deal vs Philly with an INT, he did the same thing vs ATL in the divisional round with 2 clutch INTs.
Against Chicago in the NFCCG, it was Raji's zone drop INT that helped seal that victory and the final drive from the bears ended on an INT from Shields
In the SB win over Pitt, Nick Collins pick 6 was a critical play in determining the outcome and even Jarrett Bush got on into the box score with an INT

The Packers won a Super Bowl starting two UDFAs at corner...but Capers sucks at coaching DB's ?

And all of that was nearly a decade ago.

I can just as easily point to Micah Hyde, Casey Hayward, Damarious Randall, and the numerous failed draft picks in the secondary that all occurred within the past 5 years.

Dom Capers was fantastic for us at the beginning of his tenure. That faded quickly and resulted in years and years of defenses that ranked in the bottom 1/4 of the league in defending the pass.

I can't imagine why they wanted him or what function he will serve in our organization, but I take comfort in the fact that it will not be calling the defense.

1 hour ago, Cheesehawk said:

And all of that was nearly a decade ago.

I can just as easily point to Micah Hyde, Casey Hayward, Damarious Randall, and the numerous failed draft picks in the secondary that all occurred within the past 5 years.

Dom Capers was fantastic for us at the beginning of his tenure. That faded quickly and resulted in years and years of defenses that ranked in the bottom 1/4 of the league in defending the pass.

Ted's atrocious drafting on the defensive side of the ball didn't do you any favors, although you are right, Capers was horrible in his own right.

8 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Ted's atrocious drafting on the defensive side of the ball didn't do you any favors, although you are right, Capers was horrible in his own right.

Yes, for all of the picks we wasted on marginal at best defensive players in Ted's later years really hampered our playoff chances while AR was in his prime.  

9 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Who do you think was in TT's ear regarding those players that were drafted for his defense?  It wasn't just TT.  It wasn't just Capers.  It was the combo.

I'm not dancing on the grave concerning Capers, but he was horrible for his last 3-4 years in GB.  And outstanding in his first few.  You do need to balance the ledger, but I think a strong case can be made that his "genius" was 8-25 years ago.  Not recent.