MLB mulling over absurd playoff changes

N4L

Baseball, more than almost any game, is about the team that's the hottest/can work a rotation in over a 5/7 game series. Imagine, an 84-78 team that gets hot/healthy and then goes on a run in September and knocks off a 105 win Dodger squad (not that I'd cry about it). The grumpy old man inside of me was mad enough at the WC when they rolled that out.

IMO if you have a 162 game regular season you cheapen it with more teams.

Now, had they implemented a cap/floor back in the day, this issue of parity would have helped to resolve itself, but since Selig failed at that when he had the chance, here we are.

18 minutes ago, Leader said:

Is that less preferable to tanking / selling off?

The idea that most of the league is intentionally being bad is a facile myth perpetuated by idiots online. The reality isn't teams are trying to be bad, the reality is that there is only so much top level talent that makes you an 81+ win team. The Marlins under Loria are the exception not the rule, because Loria had no money and used the team like his own personal loan asset, and teams like the Cubs and the Astros and Royals didn't intentionally play badly and lose to accrue talent, they simply had no talent because they HAD to gut the teams of years of terrible contracts and bloat that emptied out their coffers, the reality is that there was no options other than what they did to remain viable. But a team like the Giants isn't trying to lose, they just don't have enough young talent and all the old talent is old.

You solve this issue by getting rid of cheap owners who treat owning a sports team like a piggy bank that they can cash in on in 20 years to someone who actually cares. Not by utterly destroying the game by removing any and all incentive to give younger players opportunity and completely kneecapping player leverage.

Edited by Thelonebillsfan

4 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

The idea that most of the league is intentionally being bad is a facile myth perpetuated by idiots online. The reality isn't teams are trying to be bad, the reality is that there is only so much top level talent that makes you an 81+ win team. The Marlins under Loria and teams like the Cubs and the Astros and Royals didn't intentionally play badly and lose to accrue talent, they simply had no talent because they HAD to gut the teams of years of terrible contracts and bloat that emptied out their coffers, the reality is that there was no options other than what they did to remain viable. But a team like the Giants isn't trying to lose, they just don't have enough young talent and all the old talent is old.

You solve this issue by getting rid of cheap owners who treat owning a sports team like a piggy bank that they can cash in on in 20 years to someone who actually cares. Not by utterly destroying the game by removing any and all incentive to give younger players opportunity and completely kneecapping player leverage.

You're response is broader than what was being commented about....i.e.....the proposed playoff system "killing off" the trade deadline - and commentary about teams "selling off" is far broader than "idiots" on social media.

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

IMO if you have a 162 game regular season you cheapen it with more teams.

I agree 100%. The NBA regular season for example is basically meaningless 

I think they would be better off making 4 divisions or something rather than 4 wildcard teams. The problem is that there are 15 teams in each league so that wouldn't work out mathematically. 5, 3 team divisions just looks dumb

Also, with so many wildcards, you would need to make the regular season more evenly scheduled. Every team should play all teams x amount of times regardless of divisions then, otherwise there is too big of disparity for certain teams. that's unfair to everyone.

Manfraud is the goofiest Commissioner I've ever seen in my life. Just add everyone to the playoffs while you're at it. And that picking your opponent just took the cake on stupidity. Bauer said everything correctly while getting in his a-- about these goofy changes. Manfraud is such a clown. Should've been torched after the whole immunity debacle.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 3:36 PM, animaltested said:

Well someone tweeted the Mariners would have had 7 playoff appearances since 2002 under this format, so I love this idea.  This format prevents the inevitable annual Oakland CockroAch's miracle run blocking Seattle from making the playoffs.    

If the Oakland A’s are consistently blocking you from the playoffs I think you’ve gotta look in the mirror tbh

• Like 4

If you're gonna do this then you need to A) add at least two more expansion teams and make 4 divisions of 4, B) trim the regular season by at least 20-30 games (which would dilute things more), C) enforce meaningful pace of play changes not just gimmicks like the batter rule or mound visit limitations. 

The playoffs are an affirmation of the regular season, that's why the regular season is so meaningful in baseball despite being meaningless in the NHL and NBA. This is just a ploy by a bunch of owners who are willing to dilute the levels of the play because the mouse and Turner asked for more playoff games.