OL…Ted Larsen

NT…Nick Williams

DE…Roy Robertson-Harris

ILB…Kevin Pierre-Louis

OLB…Aaron Lynch

SS…Deon Bush

FS…Deandre Houston-Carson

LS…Patrick Scales

Holtz played well for us and I could see him as a #3 TE who could also play the H-Back role…Coward still has potential and is a good backup…Larsen isn’t a great player IMO but at least he offers versatility and a cheap backup inside…Williams is a really good nickle rusher who should have a decent market but we badly need to keep him as a we lack pass rush as it is…RRH is still a quality rotational guy who again is key to keep or we simply open another hole upfront…KPL has shown up with on special teams and seems solid as a nickel LB…Lynch is a solid OLB who brings some versatility…I would like to see him with his hand on the ground more in nickel…Bush is a solid player who with the cost cutting that will need to be done can come back and compete for the starting SS job…DHC is a solid backup and special teamer…Scales has always been solid.

Release…

QB…Chase Daniel

TE…Bradley Sowell

OT…Cornelius Lucas

OL…T.J Clemmings

DE…Brent Urban

ILB…Danny Trevathan

ILB…Nick Kwiatkoski

OLB…Isaiah Irving

CB…Sherrick McManis

SS…Haha Clinton-Dix

Daniel is just making too much money and for a guy who should be helping Trubisky more doesn’t seem worth it…bringing in another experienced back up would make more sense…Sowell couldn’t even stay on the roster this year let alone next…Lucas played well when called upon and more than likely we are outpriced for him…Clemmings is useless…Urban was okay but we could get younger and better…We have been going back and forward over who to keep with Danny T and Nick-K but truthfully both have pluses an negatives…let’s try and find someone who can do both their best bits…someone will sign Nick-K as a starter which might get us a conditional pick...Irving is just a guy…McManis has been passed up by Buster and Shelly…I suspect Haha will be looking for a payday that we can’t afford unless he desperately wants to play next too Eddie.

Cuts…

WR…Taylor Gabriel…save $4.5 million…$2.0 million dead

TE…Adam Shaheen…save $1.3 million…$0.6 million dead

CB…Prince Amukamara…save $8 million…$1 million dead

Gabriel has fallen off as the season went on and truthfully a 5-8” WR is not the guy we need for Trubisky…Amukamara has been good again this season but $9 million is just too much…time to get younger and cheaper…time to pull the plug on Shaheen as well.

Free Agency…

QB…Matt Moore…Chiefs…

Chase Daniels was brough here to be a clipboard holder and to be able to help develop Mitch Trubisk…we just haven’t seen much of that development and for $5 million a season I can’t see why we would reup him…Moore is a guy I have liked for a long time and he has hung around the league because of his moxy…coming from KC high off the success of a superbowl and having worked with some excellent QB guys he would seem the perfect backup at a cheaper price.

IOL…Stefan Wisniewski…Chiefs…

One of my favourite all time prospects and players Wisniewski is still a versatile and quality interior option…I have faith Wisniewski would present an upgrade to what we rolled out with this season at RG but if we can add him as a depth piece than we are set inside for the next couple of seasons.

DL…Vernon Butler…Panthers…

You can never have enough huge young physically talented DLs on your team…Butler has been a disappointment for the Panthers in their 4-3 scheme but that always felt like a miscast for me…Butler is a big space eater who has the ability to hold up against double teams and let the LBs behind him run…hopefully with the physical talents he also has a guy like Hicks can take him under his wing and show him how to disrupted the pocket as well…I see Pagano wanting to get bigger inside & Butler needing a change of scenery…who wouldn’t want to play on this D?

ILB…Patrick Onwuasor…Ravens…

There has been a lot of talk this offseason about who we should keep between Danny-T and Nick-K…Danny is a quality leader and better against the pass but has a big time injury history…Nick-K is young and a thumper inside but is limited in coverage which is a huge part of today’s game…so why not spend the money on a guy who brings the strength of both…Onwuasor is an elite athlete who covers a ton of ground in coverage but he is also an aggressive run defender who brings real intensity to his game…Onwuasor and Roquan would be an insanely athletic pairing inside who if we use the DL to keep people off them would be tackling machines.

CB…P.J Williams…Saints…

With cutting Amukamara we are going to have to find a replacement at CB as I don’t feel Toliver is ready to just be handed the job…no doubt we draft a rookie but having another young CB on the roster with experience starting both inside and out makes a ton of sense…Williams is a quality athlete who has probably been asked to play a little too much on an island in NO…here he would have a safety like Jackson playing over the top of him and a better pass rush so I think he could make it work…Toliver, Williams, Roberson & a rookie competing for the #2 CB role would be an excellent battle.

S…Curtis Riley…Raiders…

With Haha moving on for a bigger pay day we are going to have to look at the bargain basement safety options to compete with Bush for the starting SS job…Riley is an interesting case of a guy who had a down year in 2019 starting just 3 games for the Raiders…go back a year to his time in New York and it’s a different story…with the Giants in 2018 Riley had 75 tackles with 5 PBUs and 4 INTs…at just 27 years old he could be worth a flyer especially with Deshea Townsend here as a DB coach…I really like Juston Burris as SS as well.

Draft…

Round 2…  

C…Lloyd Cushenberry III…6-3” 315lbs…LSU…

The offensive line suffered massively last season from being asked to do something they simply weren’t suited to do…Leno, Daniels, Whitehair & Massie are all better suited to a zone scheme and with Castillo here we will see far more of that this season…another thing the line suffered from was trying to force Daniels into being a centre then having to revert back to LG and putting Whitehair back in there…both guys had offseason distractions with Daniels studying for his degree and Whitehair becoming a father for the first time but truthfully both are better suited to LG & RG respectively…drafting a true centre like Cushenberry III makes a ton of sense as Castillo has always valued quality at that position…look at Kelce in Philly…Cushenberry III has the size, strength and athletic ability to be a real impact in this scheme…his length is a massive asset when it comes to reach blocking and pass pro where he has shown he can handle one on ones as well as double teams.

Bears trade second 2d round pick for late 2nd & 3rd round pick.

Round 2… 

CB…Jeff Gladney…6-0” 190lbs…TCU…

I really like the signing of Roberson and feel he could be real depth at outside CB if not compete for the #2 CB…I also suspect we will bring in a cheaper veteran CB to compete for Amukamara’s spot however I think we need a draft pick to really lock in the competition…Gladney is raising quickly because of how quick and fluid he is when mirror receivers his ability to break quickly on routes make him dangerous when it comes to defending slants…his recovery speed is also impressive on deeper routes even when he is beat deep and his length is good enough to come underneath rounds…he isn’s elite against the run but it isn’t a massive weakness either as a solid tackler who will play the run…Gladney, Roberson & a veteran such as Williams would give us a great battle and excellent depth on the outside…that’s even before you throw in Toliver…in a pass first NFL that is exactly what you need on the outside.

Round 3…

TE…Adam Trautman…6-5” 250lbs…Dayton…

Time to start helping out Trubisky…some will say round 3 is too late for this but truthfully I think the TE class is going to really start playing out from mid 2nd to the bottom of the 3rd…I have 4 TEs off the board before this spot and think this is where need meets talent level…some may compare Trautman to Shaheen given the level of competition they are coming from but truthfully these guys are completely different on film…Trautman has much more fluidity and natural hands which is where Shaheen has struggled…Trautman has also shown the ability to line up at multiple spots all over the offence which is exactly what we need from a TE…I really think this guy has the skills to solve the “F” TE spot.

Round 4 (comp pick)…

WR…Antonio Gandy-Golden…6-3” 223lbs…Liberty…

More help for Trubisky this time on the outside…I think everyone would love a true burner on the outside but there aren’t many of those guys in this draft and they will be at a higher premium than late 4th…I also think we need to understand that Trubisky just can’t be trusted to his smaller targets…AGG reminds me a ton of Kenny Golladay as a tall and long guy who is also a deep threat…his ability after the catch is excellent and putting him on the outside across from Robinson would create far more balance than we seen last season and allows Miller to focus on the slot which is probably his best position in the pros.

Round 5 (via OAK)…

TE…Stephen Sullivan…6-5” 245lbs…LSU…

Time to double dip at the TE spot and steal a little from Baltimore…how do you help a QB who isn’t the most accurate? You get him quality TEs with size and length…Sullivan was underutilised at LSU for much of his time there in the passing attack but when he was running routes you can see he has the athletic ability to attach the middle of the field…his hands look solid enough and he has the size to be a match up issue for both LBs & Ss…where Sullican really excels though is his blocking…he is not the heaviest guy but his length, strength and hand usage really stand out…him inline and Trautman in the slot gives two big versatile TEs that make is so much easier on Trubisky.

Round 5 (Via Philly)…

OLB…Alex Highsmith…6-3” 245lbs…Charlotte…

More front seven depth and competition at the OLB spot…Highsmith had excellent productivity this season with 14 sacks & 21.5 TFL…those are eye popping numbers on a team with limited defensive talent where every offensive coordinator knows where the danger is coming from and to game plan it…I think we have to be looking for a Mark Anderson type of situational guy who is a pure pass rusher if we are going to keep Floyd as a more versatile OLB.

Round 6… 

RB…Elijah Mitchell…5-10" 218lbs…La.-Lafayette…

Nagy has a type at RB…5-10ish 220lbsish bowling balls with quick feet, good vision and hands…enter Mitchell who is exactly that…with size & power the knock on him will be he won’t blow anyone away with long speed but he is a very similar runner to Montgomery and the blocking schemes could remain the exact same no matter which on is in the backfield…coming of a highly productive season with 1147 yards at 5.8 YPC and 16 TDs there are some skills there…look back to 2018 and he also had 20 receptions for an average of 17.5 yards per catch so he is productive in that area too.

Round 7…

OT…Cameron Clark…6-5” 295lbs…Charlotte…

I was a huge fan of Nate Davis in last years draft and he has went on to be a quality blocker for Derrick Henry…Charlotte have another good one on their hands who is flying under the radar in Clark…a 2 time captain who was the offensive MVP back in 2017 he has a ton of starting experience at LT in a zone blocking scheme and graded out as C-USA’s best overall blocker in 2019…teams will probably be put off by his lightness but in an NFL strength programme guys have shown they can add good weight and strength…Clark would hopefully follow a Leno path as a 7th round pick who after a few years blossoms into a starter with the right kind of coaching and commitment…I also think both he and Highsmith have probably really helped each other along the way.

Round 7…

K…Dominik Eberle…6-2” 190lbs…Utah State…

I’m still not fully convinced that Eddy is the guy so competition is key…Eberle has a really good track record when it comes to accuracy and while he doesn’t have a cannon for a leg it’s the mental make up that interest me…dude appears to be very laid back in his approach and that type of mentality usually means a kicker won’t buckle under pressure.

Depth Chart…

QB…Mitch Trubisky…Matt More

RB…David Montgomery…Elijah Mitchell…Tarik Cohen

FB…Ben Braunecker

WR…Allen Robinson…Javon Wims

WR…Antonio Gandy-Golden…Riley Reid

Weapon…Cordarrelle Patterson…Anthony Miller

TE…Adam Trautman...Stephen Sullivan…Jesper Horsted…JP Holtz…(Burton IR)

LT…Charles Leno…Cameron Clark

LG…James Daniels

C…Lloyd Cushenberry III…Ted Larsen

RG…Cody Whitehair…Stefen Wisniewski

RT…Bobby Massie…Rashaad Coward                                

LE…Akiem Hicks…Roy Robertson-Harris

NT…Eddie Goldman…Nick Williams

RE…Bilal Nichols…Vernon Butler                      

LOLB…Khalil Mack…Alex Highsmith

ILB…Roquan Smith…Kevin-Pierre Louis

ILB…Patrick Onwuasor…Joel Iyiegbuniwe                             

ROLB…Leonard Floyd…Aaron Lynch

NB…Buster Skrine…Duke Shelley                

CB…Kyle Fuller…Tre Roberson

CB…Jeff Gladney…P.J Williams…Kevin Toliver                  

SS…Deon Bush…Curtis Riley                    

FS…Eddie Jackson…Deandre Houston-Carson                    

P…Pat O’Donnell

K… Eddy Piñeiro/Dominik Eberle

LS…Patrick Scales

• Like 2

My major concern with this mock, is running into the season with:

1. Trubisky 2. Matt Moore as the only two QBs on the roster.

I just can't see any scenario that EVERYONE doesn't get fired for that going into 2021.  If you get a completely non threatening vet backing Trubisky up,  I think the team NEEDS to draft a guy as well or otherwise hedge their bets with some kind of younger guy who they could sell hope with (whether that's realistic or not). Then again, I'm also already at the point of more or less completely writing Trubisky off as a bust until he proves otherwise.

Beyond that sticking point, I like the mock overall.

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

My major concern with this mock, is running into the season with:

1. Trubisky 2. Matt Moore as the only two QBs on the roster.

I just can't see any scenario that EVERYONE doesn't get fired for that going into 2021.  If you get a completely non threatening vet backing Trubisky up,  I think the team NEEDS to draft a guy as well or otherwise hedge their bets with some kind of younger guy who they could sell hope with (whether that's realistic or not). Then again, I'm also already at the point of more or less completely writing Trubisky off as a bust until he proves otherwise.

Beyond that sticking point, I like the mock overall.

I don't think we have the draft capital or the FA budget to get true competition at the QB spot so would much rather try and surround Trubisky with weapons and protection...he will then either sink or swim.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't think we have the draft capital or the FA budget to get true competition at the QB spot so would much rather try and surround Trubisky with weapons and protection...he will then either sink or swim.

I’m with you on that, MM. Moore to me is a slight upgrade over Daniel with more starting experience, but also a guy who won games last year for a SB team when called upon which alone makes him more of a threat to play than Daniel even if not truly a push for immediate QB1 status. He’s pretty Kyle Ortonish to me which is fine in a backup. If Mitch ain’t the guy beyond 2020 (I have every expectation he’s going to get the opportunity to be) then I have zero expectation that our 2020 QB2 will be the guy beyond 2020 either. It’s either gonna be Mitch or a big 2021 investment. 

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

The draft would be good.

Free Agency would be a disappointment. They do not have a big budget, but they have enough money to get a little more impact than that.

I think Onwuasor would be a pretty big get in FA...he is a player who is no doubt on the raise...the rest of FA would be competition guys but I would think we hold money back for extensions of our own guys because for as disappointing as last season was there is talent on this squad.

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think Onwuasor would be a pretty big get in FA...he is a player who is no doubt on the raise...the rest of FA would be competition guys but I would think we hold money back for extensions of our own guys because for as disappointing as last season was there is talent on this squad.

I think they will be more aggressive at TE and possibly RG. They are not going into the draft with Burton and Shaheen penciled in at TE.

ILB is hardly the issue that those spots are.

The Raiders Pick is also a 7 not a 5, the conditions were apparently not met in full.