Pre-Combine Mock 2020

Madmike90

36 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think they will be more aggressive at TE and possibly RG. They are not going into the draft with Burton and Shaheen penciled in at TE.

ILB is hardly the issue that those spots are.

The Raiders Pick is also a 7 not a 5, the conditions were apparently not met in full.

I am struggling to see the mid tier TE who makes any kind of impact...that's why I double dipped in the draft...

Blythe would be an excellent pick up at RG but money wise he would probably cost too much.

37 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

If Matt Moore has to start a long stretch of games then people could get fired.

Can you imagine if they have to sit Mitch down after 4 games and we get to watch Matt Moore for 12 games?

I would trust Moore more than Daniel that's for sure.

• Like 1

I can’t see the team doing a half measure move - either they replace him as QB1 or sign a clear QB2. Any QB1a and the noise to replace Mitch every time we punt are gonna be so loud they’ll wish they had just replaced him from the start. I think the only way they don’t pour everything into Mitch succeeding is if that decision is made in March. I’d be 100% on board with that for Bridgewater but probably only Bridgewater. Pace is far too invested IMO in Mitch to keep him as QB1 but to then undermine his last shot to succeed by putting someone behind him capable enough of being an immediate fan favorite. The more I think about it I really think it needs to be all or nothing at QB. 

13 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I can’t see the team doing a half measure move - either they replace him as QB1 or sign a clear QB2. Any QB1a and the noise to replace Mitch every time we punt are gonna be so loud they’ll wish they had just replaced him from the start. I think the only way they don’t pour everything into Mitch succeeding is if that decision is made in March. I’d be 100% on board with that for Bridgewater but probably only Bridgewater. Pace is far too invested IMO in Mitch to keep him as QB1 but to then undermine his last shot to succeed by putting someone behind him capable enough of being an immediate fan favorite. The more I think about it I really think it needs to be all or nothing at QB. 

It will not be.

They need someone they can turn to for a long stretch of games if 2019 Mitch shows up.

The only way this thing jumps the shark is if they have to continue to play a terrible Mitch or turn to a terrible backup. That is when the 15k no shows will start and every media outlet will be crushing them to death. That is where the narrative, optics, and fan revolt could cost Pace his job.

14 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I am struggling to see the mid tier TE who makes any kind of impact...that's why I double dipped in the draft...

Blythe would be an excellent pick up at RG but money wise he would probably cost too much.

The problem with the plan is the TE position is important to the offense, it crippled them in 2019 and in your plan they are relying on a 3rd round Division II rookie and a rookie who converted from WR and had 10 catches last season.

They can afford higher quality players.

14 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I would trust Moore more than Daniel that's for sure.

I choose the gun over 12 games of either.

This is the problem. Mitch was so bad in 2019 that you cannot start him for the entirety of 2020 at that level again. The city will literally burn. I personally think he will be better, but I would not stake my job on that.

16 hours ago, WindyCity said:

If Matt Moore has to start a long stretch of games then people could get fired.

Can you imagine if they have to sit Mitch down after 4 games and we get to watch Matt Moore for 12 games?

This is why we have to draft a developmental QB in the 3rd -6th round. Anthony Gordon would be a solid choice to take a chance on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

It will not be.

They need someone they can turn to for a long stretch of games if 2019 Mitch shows up.

The only way this thing jumps the shark is if they have to continue to play a terrible Mitch or turn to a terrible backup. That is when the 15k no shows will start and every media outlet will be crushing them to death. That is where the narrative, optics, and fan revolt could cost Pace his job.

Unless they move on from Mitch entirely as a starter during the offseason with a clear upgrade from day 1 every other situation other than Mitch flipping the switch is going to leave fans booing and angry at him and Pace early and often. Bears fans expect perfection to a fault. We already hyper scrutinize every throw, every mannerism, every press conference answer, etc. If Mitch is here in any capacity that finds him on the field fans are going to KILL him regardless unless he’s great. I personally think that’s dumb, but it is what it is. 

If we have a realistic starter at backup then every game he’s not starting it’s going to build more and more unless Mitch is excelling. If we have a bum backup it’s going to build more and more unless Mitch is excelling. That’s just reality. I think a viable starting option at backup only makes that more intense, and if the best case scenario Pace is pushing for in 2020 is Mitch finally figuring it out that’s putting him in an even more difficult spot from the nearly no win one he’s already in. 

To me it needs to be all in or all out on Mitch. Either he’s going to thrive or we’re going to confirm he’s not the guy and best set ourselves up to be able to hopefully get the guy next offseason. To me the hedge option is only going to make mediocrity a more sure thing beyond 2020, and mediocrity is the outcome I personally find to be the most unacceptable. 

The last thing you touched on may be most relevant though. Pace should need to be fighting to keep his job with the team’s 2020 performance. He should already have that heat on him. If he’s not feeling that heat and he expects to get another shot at QB in 2021 then IMO he’s not going to be nearly as inclined to be as definitive on what to do with Mitch as I think he needs to be right now. He’s going to see taking the middle path as a real option, and I really don’t think it should be.

8 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Unless they move on from Mitch entirely as a starter during the offseason with a clear upgrade from day 1 every other situation other than Mitch flipping the switch is going to leave fans booing and angry at him and Pace early and often. Bears fans expect perfection to a fault. We already hyper scrutinize every throw, every mannerism, every press conference answer, etc. If Mitch is here in any capacity that finds him on the field fans are going to KILL him regardless unless he’s great. I personally think that’s dumb, but it is what it is. 

If we have a realistic starter at backup then every game he’s not starting it’s going to build more and more unless Mitch is excelling. If we have a bum backup it’s going to build more and more unless Mitch is excelling. That’s just reality. I think a viable starting option at backup only makes that more intense, and if the best case scenario Pace is pushing for in 2020 is Mitch finally figuring it out that’s putting him in an even more difficult spot from the nearly no win one he’s already in. 

To me it needs to be all in or all out on Mitch. Either he’s going to thrive or we’re going to confirm he’s not the guy and best set ourselves up to be able to hopefully get the guy next offseason. To me the hedge option is only going to make mediocrity a more sure thing beyond 2020, and mediocrity is the outcome I personally find to be the most unacceptable. 

The last thing you touched on may be most relevant though. Pace should need to be fighting to keep his job with the team’s 2020 performance. He should already have that heat on him. If he’s not feeling that heat and he expects to get another shot at QB in 2021 then IMO he’s not going to be nearly as inclined to be as definitive on what to do with Mitch as I think he needs to be right now. He’s going to see taking the middle path as a real option, and I really don’t think it should be.

If he cannot thrive with pressure and competition he is not going to be successful.

The fans already hate him.

As you said, Mitch will either thrive and there will be no need to call for the backup, or he will struggle and be replaced. We are the point now where if he struggles he will not get more time. 2019 was when he was given his time to figure it out.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

If he cannot thrive with pressure and competition he is not going to be successful.

The fans already hate him.

As you said, Mitch will either thrive and there will be no need to call for the backup, or he will struggle and be replaced. We are the point now where if he struggles he will not get more time. 2019 was when he was given his time to figure it out.

The pressure on Mitch is immense no matter what Pace does. My point is that if he ultimately fails the team is going to be better overall long run bottoming out in 2020 than being .500ish with a replacement who has no future as a starter. Only alternative to that would be a 2nd round QB and I don’t think Pace getting maybe 1 more shot at a QB to develop wants that to be the 5th or 6th best prospect in this class. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

The pressure on Mitch is immense no matter what Pace does. My point is that if he ultimately fails the team is going to be better overall long run bottoming out in 2020 than being .500ish with a replacement who has no future as a starter. Only alternative to that would be a 2nd round QB and I don’t think Pace getting maybe 1 more shot at a QB to develop wants that to be the 5th or 6th best prospect in this class. 

If they bottom out people could lose jobs. It Trubisky torpedoes another season Nagy could lose the locker room.

They are going to buy insurance. Everyone does.

If Mitch continues to suck they will have a veteran who can come in and keep them somewhat competitive.

15 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

If they bottom out people could lose jobs. It Trubisky torpedoes another season Nagy could lose the locker room.

They are going to buy insurance. Everyone does.

If Mitch continues to suck they will have a veteran who can come in and keep them somewhat competitive.

I’m not saying they won’t get an “insurance QB”. I’m saying for the long term viability of the franchise (read: NOT about 2020) it’d be better IMO if they didn’t. If Mitch fails to actualize at least a decent portion of his potential in 2020 (which would mean we again miss the playoffs) then Pace should lose his job whether he gets a competent backup QB or not despite him being average overall in terms of roster management, and Nagy should at minimum be pushed into a Tomlin-like role where he’s the HC but neither calls the offense or the defense (which IMO is where he’s best suited anyway). 

Re: the locker room I think you’re overlooking one key difference between the Mitch Bears and the Cutler Bears: Mitch is LOVED by this locker room. Offensive and defensive players alike stump for him constantly. Watch how Eddie Jackson runs to celebrate with him after the long rushing TD against Dallas, or listen to Kyle Long, now 100% removed from the locker room, still talks about him. These guys all want to not only win but win with Mitch. I don’t think we should just dismiss that in this process. 

17 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m not saying they won’t get an “insurance QB”. I’m saying for the long term viability of the franchise (read: NOT about 2020) it’d be better IMO if they didn’t. If Mitch fails to actualize at least a decent portion of his potential in 2020 (which would mean we again miss the playoffs) then Pace should lose his job whether he gets a competent backup QB or not despite him being average overall in terms of roster management, and Nagy should at minimum be pushed into a Tomlin-like role where he’s the HC but neither calls the offense or the defense (which IMO is where he’s best suited anyway). 

Re: the locker room I think you’re overlooking one key difference between the Mitch Bears and the Cutler Bears: Mitch is LOVED by this locker room. Offensive and defensive players alike stump for him constantly. Watch how Eddie Jackson runs to celebrate with him after the long rushing TD against Dallas, or listen to Kyle Long, now 100% removed from the locker room, still talks about him. These guys all want to not only win but win with Mitch. I don’t think we should just dismiss that in this process. 

Losing will crack that.

This is the first offseason where we are going to see guys on defense lose their job or not be brought back because Mitch sucked in 2019. 

Daniel-done because of Mitch

Gabriel-done because Mitch cannot hit him downfield

Prince-probably done to support Mitch

HHCD-not coming back because the money is needed to upgrade offensive talent.