Pre-Combine Mock 2020

Madmike90

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

FWIW Tannehill made just $2M in base pay last year. The rest was all performance incentives. If that’s the level player we’re signing that’s the contract we should be arguing for. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/ryan-tannehill-9818/

He made 7 million. The Dolphins paid 5 million of it to facilitate the trade.

The Bengals are going to end up releasing Dalton so we would have to pay the entire 7. I would rather keep our 4th round pick and pay the extra 5 million.

Edited by WindyCity
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He made 7 million. The Dolphins paid 5 million of it to facilitate the trade.

I’m talking his cost to the Titans (didn’t make that clear before), so if it’s Dalton then we’d expect the Bengals to do the same. We’re Tennessee in the 2020 Dalton version of this hypothetical, and money not coming from us is of no concern to me. 

Like you said though, Dalton has a lot of competition on the FA market. He doesn’t exactly have the leverage then to push for non-incentive based big backup money if we could just move on to Mariota or Keenum or whoever else instead (assuming all were UFA at the time). These are all guys hoping to find a potential starter spot when present day starter spots aren’t available. The opportunity to get what may be perceived as one of the best options for that itself should give us leverage for a more incentive-based deal. Dalton has already made $83M in the NFL and Mariota $45M and both arguably have potential for long future runs as starters due to their age (Dalton is 32 and Mariota just 26) - I would think sacrificing a little in 2020 guaranteed money to get a better option to potentially make a whole lot more as a future starter beyond 2020 is a very realistic option for guys in that spot. 

I don’t have any interest in trading anything more than nuisance draft capital to trade for Dalton knowing he’s going to get released UNLESS it comes at a huge discount rate. The difference in ability between he and those guys in that likely price range set to be UFA is negligible IMO. In all likelihood Dalton isn’t getting released until after they draft Burrow which means 6 weeks into FA. Pace knows this and so do all other GMs. Those other QB2 jobs where he’d have a potential chance to start (including ours) are getting filled long before then with this many QBs on the market, so if the Bengals hope to get anything for him they’re gonna have to chip in to get it done, and probably do so in the next few weeks. 

5 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m talking his cost to the Titans (didn’t make that clear before), so if it’s Dalton then we’d expect the Bengals to do the same. We’re Tennessee in the 2020 Dalton version of this hypothetical, and money not coming from us is of no concern to me. 

Like you said though, Dalton has a lot of competition on the FA market. He doesn’t exactly have the leverage then to push for non-incentive based big backup money if we could just move on to Mariota or Keenum or whoever else instead (assuming all were UFA at the time). These are all guys hoping to find a potential starter spot when present day starter spots aren’t available. The opportunity to get what may be perceived as one of the best options for that itself should give us leverage for a more incentive-based deal. Dalton has already made $83M in the NFL and Mariota $45M and both arguably have potential for long future runs as starters due to their age (Dalton is 32 and Mariota just 26) - I would think sacrificing a little in 2020 guaranteed money to get a better option to potentially make a whole lot more as a future starter beyond 2020 is a very realistic option for guys in that spot. 

I don’t have any interest in trading anything more than nuisance draft capital to trade for Dalton knowing he’s going to get released UNLESS it comes at a huge discount rate. The difference in ability between he and those guys in that likely price range set to be UFA is negligible IMO. In all likelihood Dalton isn’t getting released until after they draft Burrow which means 6 weeks into FA. Pace knows this and so do all other GMs. Those other QB2 jobs where he’d have a potential chance to start (including ours) are getting filled long before then with this many QBs on the market, so if the Bengals hope to get anything for him they’re gonna have to chip in to get it done, and probably do so in the next few weeks. 

I would be happy with Mariota, although that does not seem like it is happening.

I think Mariota, Keenum, and Dalton are all in the same tier. I would take whichever one wants to come here and is cheapest.

But we need a step up from the pure backups on the market. Those 3 are in the tier between the pure backups and the big money guys.

What I would offer each guy

Mariota-8 million he is young enough that there might be some future there.

Dalton-7 million

Keenum-5 million

I would put 250k/start bonus for each of them allowing them to make 4 million more if they take the starting job.

If all of them say NO, then I am going to the backup market.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I would be happy with Mariota, although that does not seem like it is happening.

I think Mariota, Keenum, and Dalton are all in the same tier. I would take whichever one wants to come here and is cheapest.

But we need a step up from the pure backups on the market. Those 3 are in the tier between the pure backups and the big money guys.

Mariota has by far the biggest upside of the three but also probably the lowest floor but if it’s one of those three he’s my preference because of the three he’s the only one I can see having a Tannehill-like jump that could himself turn into a real long term option. Biggest hiccup with Mariota though is that he and Mitch share the same agent and the agent may not want to have one of his clients pushing to replace the other since in the agent’s world the best case scenario is both getting starting gigs and big deals. 

7 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Mariota has by far the biggest upside of the three but also probably the lowest floor but if it’s one of those three he’s my preference because of the three he’s the only one I can see having a Tannehill-like jump that could himself turn into a real long term option. Biggest hiccup with Mariota though is that he and Mitch share the same agent and the agent may not want to have one of his clients pushing to replace the other since in the agent’s world the best case scenario is both getting starting gigs and big deals. 

My guess is that it becomes more than a hiccup.

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

My guess is that it becomes more than a hiccup.

I agree. Hiccup wasn’t meant to mean a minor impediment. But, Mariota’s market may not give them much leverage to be picky either. At least 4 and as many as 6 of the teams with now-or-soon starter needs at QB are drafting QBs in round 1 or 2 in April and at least 2 of those rookies (Burrow and Tua) are starting immediately which makes Mariota’s career revival options at those locations slim to none. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I agree. Hiccup wasn’t meant to mean a minor impediment. But, Mariota’s market may not give them much leverage to be picky either. At least 4 and as many as 6 of the teams with now-or-soon starter needs at QB are drafting QBs in round 1 or 2 in April and at least 2 of those rookies (Burrow and Tua) are starting immediately which makes Mariota’s career revival options at those locations slim to none. 

He would be my #1 target because as you said he has some upside.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Besides, Mitch is Pace's guy and this offense was built around him. So Pace/Nagy is going to ride or die with him and give him as many chances as they can. 

Mitch is Pace's guy, but the offense clearly wasn't built around him. He struggles mightily with certain aspects of the offense, and those aspects remain unchanged.