Is there any chance the Redskins take Tua at #2?

SmittyBacall

I’m not going to lie, I saw this being discussed on another website and thought it was an interesting subject of discussion. Could this be the second year in a row we see a team double-down on first round QB after taking a QB the previous year?

At this time last year Nick Bosa, like Chase Young (albeit not the same caliber of prospect, hype-wise), was the consensus #1 non-QB pick. Josh Rosen was traded up for in 2018, and it was almost inconceivable the Cardinals would pass on Bosa, and scrap Rosen so soon for another (superior) QB after investing so much in him just a year before. But sure enough, a new coaching regime was brought in, and as the draft process progressed they eventually made the decision to go with Kinsbury’s guy.

Fast forward to now, and there are certainly similarities between the two situations. Haskins, like Rosen, was drafted in the top half of the first and looked relatively disappointing his rookie year, and the regime that drafted Haskins is now gone. A new coaching staff and new front office personnel comes in, and a superior prospect is now made available at #2. Without Burrow, Tua would be the consensus first overall pick for Cincinnati, even with the injury. He’s the superior prospect to Haskins.

Now, there are important caveats to consider when comparing the two situations. Firstly, by all accounts Haskins was a Dan Snyder pick, and he’s obviously still with the Redskins and could want to see the pick through. Second, the Cards going with Murray was specially backed by a rare situation with Kingsbury, who had personal ties to him in college. Perhaps in an alternate universe a coach without ties to Murray sticks with Rosen. Also, Young is considered to be a better prospect than Bosa, so it’s a tougher pass for the Redskins. It’s also worth noting at this time last year, Cardinals FO and coaching staff were backing Rosen as their guy, much like the Redskins are doing with Haskins right now.

I don’t necessarily think this is going to happen, nor do I think there’s a strong possibility. But I think it’s something that at least should be mentioned. 

What do you guys think?

I highly doubt it. Kyle Smith and Dan Snyder are still here and Haskins really started to show a lot his last couple games. I believe we’re firm at two and I also believe the trade up value simply won’t be there from other teams to budge off the pick.

Even if Tua throws well at his pro day, which he will, teams are still going to be apprehensive due to the injury being major. I wouldn’t be shocked at all if the Dolphins simply pass on Tua for Herbert or Andrew Thomas. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

No

10 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I highly doubt it. Kyle Smith and Dan Snyder are still here and Haskins really started to show a lot his last couple games. I believe we’re firm at two and I also believe the trade up value simply won’t be there from other teams to budge off the pick.

Even if Tua throws well at his pro day, which he will, teams are still going to be apprehensive due to the injury being major. I wouldn’t be shocked at all if the Dolphins simply pass on Tua for Herbert or Andrew Thomas. 

Okay, let me ask this then. What if the Redskins had the first pick, and could take Burrow? Would that change things?

3 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Okay, let me ask this then. What if the Redskins had the first pick, and could take Burrow? Would that change things?

I'd say yes because Burrow is one of the best prospects we've seen in years. Now they may still keep Haskins if they are all on him and trade it but I think they'd prefer Burrow. Heck you could keep both with the hopes one of them hits long. Spend two first round picks to find a franchise QB is not the steepest cost even if this way is unconventional (like Arizona last year).

7 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

No. The light came on at the end of the year for Haskins. You have to continue going with him. Rosen didn’t show that. Tua is better than Burrow anyway if his medicals check out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I'd say there is a greater likelihood of them trading #2 for a king's ransom.

I would agree with this. Tua is a good prospect, but I doubt that those in charge have lost faith in Haskins yet, and would be more likely to move down and still get Young or one of the other guys they like with a team that wants Tua. I could see getting a lot.

6 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Yes, it makes it more likely, but I still wouldn’t bet on it.

2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I think it would still be Chase Young. Haskins and Burrow both had one great year in college. Burrow is still a major risk given he wasn’t a highly regarded recruit and got beat out for the OSU job twice if I recall that correctly. He then had a subpar year for LSU before going crazy this past season.

For what the Redskins need, Chase Young is that fit. We’re moving to a 4-3 and have a 32-year old DE with one year left on his deal coming off an injury plagued season. Sweat and Young can completely change our fortunes on defense. Creating an unnecessary mess by drafting a QB when we can just sit at two and take the best player in the draft simply doesn’t make sense for a franchise trying to get things right now. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

he wasn’t a highly regarded recruit

There’s reasons to doubt Burrow, but this isn’t one of them. He was a 4-star recruit. Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, Mayfield, Rodgers, Ryan, Prescott, and Wilson were all 3-star recruits. A prospects recruiting rating is pretty much irrelevant when it comes to NFL success. 

44 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

and got beat out for the OSU job twice if I recall that correctly.

Nah. As a freshman, he wasn’t going to supplant Barrett. Then as a sophomore he was competing to back him up, but broke his hand in practice, giving Haskins the back up job. When Barrett got injured in the game versus Michigan the same year, Haskins came in and played really well, and used that momentum to earn the starting role the next year. That’s when Joe split for LSU. So technically, he only “lost” one job in which Haskins had the leg up on.

Burrow’s career arc at Ohio State changed trajectory during his redshirt sophomore year. Meyer told Yahoo that Burrow was “on pace” to win the backup quarterback job over Dwayne Haskins. But late in summer camp, he broke his hand in a freak accident during practice. Haskins assumed the backup job and got the call when Barrett got hurt at Michigan. Haskins led two touchdown drives in a comeback victory, helping cement him ahead of Burrow. They battled for the job in the spring, but Burrow couldn’t unseat Haskins. “It was razor thin [at that point],” Meyer said. “I don’t ever remember spending that much time on any position battle. Everything was charted. We owed it to Joe.”

Having said that, I get why you would want to stick with Haskins and take Young. 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/ca.sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/the-legend-of-joe-burrow-from-being-mocked-at-ohio-state-to-heisman-frontrunner-at-lsu-234857735.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Counselor said:

No. The light came on at the end of the year for Haskins. You have to continue going with him. Rosen didn’t show that. Tua is better than Burrow anyway if his medicals check out. 

Is Tua a better prospect than Haskins was? Who do you think becomes the better player?