Is there any chance the Redskins take Tua at #2?

SmittyBacall

It won't happen but I'll say this: if the owner didn't love Dwayne Haskins so much, it would be a good idea to consider it. Being able to give up on a QB sooner rather than later and replacing him with another talented rookie QB has extended Keim's GM tenure by at least 2 years and may very well have saved the Cardinals franchise from being another 3-5 year sunken ship. I'm not saying Haskins is Rosen or Tua is Murray, but it's an analogous scenario that could work wonders for the Redskins if they have the balls to do it. 

A really juicy scenario would have been to draft Tua with the intent that he be a "medical redshirt" until around mid-season unless Haskins were to light it up and if he did, the 2021 trade scenarios would be wild. 

I believe that they are exploring all options and making a subtle last ditch effort to try and bait the Lions to trade up to #2 and draft Tua, thus getting them Chase Young at #3 instead of #2 and getting added picks out of it. 

While I'd be SHOCKED to see them trade back to #5 and not get Young, they'd almost be foolish to at least not consider it, as they're looking at a premier player and a nice cache of picks to boot.

IMO I'd rather have Isaiah Simmons, who is a tremendous talent as well/premier pick, and the following:

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

Pick #2 is worth 2600 and Pick #5 is worth 1700, so the likely outcome would be something like:

Redskins trade:

Pick #2

Redskins get:

Pick #5 (1700)

Pick #36 (700)

2021 3rd and 5th

18 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I believe that they are exploring all options and making a subtle last ditch effort to try and bait the Lions to trade up to #2 and draft Tua, thus getting them Chase Young at #3 instead of #2 and getting added picks out of it. 

While I'd be SHOCKED to see them trade back to #5 and not get Young, they'd almost be foolish to at least not consider it, as they're looking at a premier player and a nice cache of picks to boot.

IMO I'd rather have Isaiah Simmons, who is a tremendous talent as well/premier pick, and the following:

Pick #2 is worth 2600 and Pick #5 is worth 1700, so the likely outcome would be something like:

Redskins trade:

Pick #2

Redskins get:

Pick #5 (1700)

Pick #36 (700)

2021 3rd and 5th

I cannot see the Redskins moving back from 2 without gaining an extra 1st round pick. If it’s not 5 and 18, I just can’t see them making the deal. The Chargers could probably beat that offer and you can most likely take Simmons at 6 rather than 5. 

6 minutes ago, winitall said:

I cannot see the Redskins moving back from 2 without gaining an extra 1st round pick. If it’s not 5 and 18, I just can’t see them making the deal. The Chargers could probably beat that offer and you can most likely take Simmons at 6 rather than 5. 

I completely missed 18 somehow on the chart. Yeah, I could definitely see something like:

Trade:

Get:

2021 3rd

24 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Redskins trade:

Pick #2

Redskins get:

Pick #5 (1700)

Pick #36 (700)

2021 3rd and 5th

The Lions won't make that move for Tua. I'm not suggesting that they won't draft him, although I do think it's unlikely. They would be equally satisfied with taking Tua or Chase Young at #3 assuming that they would actually consider drafting TT and not trade down. Best case scenario - Tua is there for them at #3. Worst case scenario.. Chase Young is there for them at #3. They can't lose in either scenario. 

I still think they should trade down, get the extra picks and take a guy like Love or Eason if they're looking for that high end, developmental QB as a back up/Stafford's future replacement. 

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

The Lions won't make that move for Tua. I'm not suggesting that they won't draft him, although I do think it's unlikely. They would be equally satisfied with taking Tua or Chase Young at #3 assuming that they would actually consider drafting TT and not trade down. Best case scenario - Tua is there for them at #3. Worst case scenario.. Chase Young is there for them at #3. They can't lose in either scenario. 

Unless they want Tua bad enough to move up to #2 so that no one else will trade up and get him, correct.

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I still think they should trade down, get the extra picks and take a guy like Love or Eason if they're looking for that high end, developmental QB as a back up/Stafford's future replacement. 

Perhaps so, but in all honesty, I do not see the Lions trading up for a rookie QB when Patricia MUST win now.

JMHO

Just now, MWil23 said:

Unless they want Tua bad enough to move up to #2 so that no one else will trade up and get him, correct.

Perhaps so, but in all honesty, I do not see the Lions trading up for a rookie QB when Patricia MUST win now.

JMHO

They don't need him/want him bad enough to do that. It's just not going to happen. Could they do that for Chase Young? Maybe. That's the more realistic option when all is said and done. 

Tua could be the QBOTF but Stafford played at an MVP level before his injury and to your point, the Lions need to improve their record. They were a 7 - 9 win team with a healthy Stafford but nobody cares about what could or should have happened. They could still take a guy towards the end of round 1 or round 2 as the next guy but they will be sticking with Stafford for this year and hopefully further into the future. 

19 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

They don't need him/want him bad enough to do that. It's just not going to happen. Could they do that for Chase Young? Maybe. That's the more realistic option when all is said and done. 

Tua could be the QBOTF but Stafford played at an MVP level before his injury and to your point, the Lions need to improve their record. They were a 7 - 9 win team with a healthy Stafford but nobody cares about what could or should have happened. They could still take a guy towards the end of round 1 or round 2 as the next guy but they will be sticking with Stafford for this year and hopefully further into the future. 

Yeah, that's why I believe that the Redskins are more likely to trade back with Miami. More than anything, I think Patricia is coaching for his job and he won't go all in on a rookie QB IMO.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Yeah, that's why I believe that the Redskins are more likely to trade back with Miami. More than anything, I think Patricia is coaching for his job and he won't go all in on a rookie QB IMO.

I would love to see the Lions trade down and accumulate extra picks... or get Chase Young at #3. 

I could be totally off here but Carolina's commitment to Cam (coupled with Rhule's 7 year contract) tells me they aren't in the market for a QB this year. If they do take one it'll be because someone slipped to them at #7 that they like a lot. Which then places the emphasis on the Dolphins at #5 and the Chargers at #6. Detroit isn't going to want to move too far back since they'd lose out on a guy like Okudah or Brown, which are blue chip players at positions of need. 

I'm not dismissing that the Redskins could trade down and I'm not even dismissing the idea that Detroit could trade up with them. It's just not going to be for Tua. He'll be there for them at #3 if they want to take him there and if he isn't, Joe Burrow or Chase Young are nice consolation prizes. 

Just now, Karnage84 said:

I would love to see the Lions trade down and accumulate extra picks... or get Chase Young at #3. 

I could be totally off here but Carolina's commitment to Cam (coupled with Rhule's 7 year contract) tells me they aren't in the market for a QB this year. If they do take one it'll be because someone slipped to them at #7 that they like a lot. Which then places the emphasis on the Dolphins at #5 and the Chargers at #6. Detroit isn't going to want to move too far back since they'd lose out on a guy like Okudah or Brown, which are blue chip players at positions of need. 

I'm not dismissing that the Redskins could trade down and I'm not even dismissing the idea that Detroit could trade up with them. It's just not going to be for Tua. He'll be there for them at #3 if they want to take him there and if he isn't, Joe Burrow or Chase Young are nice consolation prizes. 

If I'm Detroit, my dream scenario is that Burrow goes #1 and Washington trades #2 to Miami, thus giving me Chase Young at #3. Even if something crazy were to happen and I traded back to #6 with the Chargers if they loved Herbert and thus passed on Young, then I'd still be guaranteed 1 of Okudah, Brown, or Simmons (Chase Young is going to be gone), all while capitalizing on major future assets.

They could weigh whether or not they could get Brown/a 2nd round EDGE/CB type

or

Okudah vs. a 2nd Round DT/EDGE type

or

Brown vs. a 2nd Round EDGE/CB type

...depending on the strength(s) of the draft class.

From a depth perspective, this WR and OL class I think has a lot of value in Rounds 2-4 (Maybe even later from a WR perspective), not to mention RB. However, the DL is a lot more slim overall IMO.

So, they could trade down, get a lot of ammunition, still get a dominant DL player in Brown, and then also get a top tier RB late in Round 1/early in Round 2, while also potentially adding some OL depth there as well, maybe even with future picks in 2021.

Having a healthy Stafford at QB with Jones/Galloway and someone like Swift/Dobbins to go with their oft injured albeit solid when healthy RB is a nice look offensively, and having a centerpiece DL in Brown would be a nice start.

16 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If I'm Detroit, my dream scenario is that Burrow goes #1 and Washington trades #2 to Miami, thus giving me Chase Young at #3. Even if something crazy were to happen and I traded back to #6 with the Chargers if they loved Herbert and thus passed on Young, then I'd still be guaranteed 1 of Okudah, Brown, or Simmons (Chase Young is going to be gone), all while capitalizing on major future assets.

They could weigh whether or not they could get Brown/a 2nd round EDGE/CB type

or

Okudah vs. a 2nd Round DT/EDGE type

or

Brown vs. a 2nd Round EDGE/CB type

...depending on the strength(s) of the draft class.

From a depth perspective, this WR and OL class I think has a lot of value in Rounds 2-4 (Maybe even later from a WR perspective), not to mention RB. However, the DL is a lot more slim overall IMO.

So, they could trade down, get a lot of ammunition, still get a dominant DL player in Brown, and then also get a top tier RB late in Round 1/early in Round 2, while also potentially adding some OL depth there as well, maybe even with future picks in 2021.

Having a healthy Stafford at QB with Jones/Galloway and someone like Swift/Dobbins to go with their oft injured albeit solid when healthy RB is a nice look offensively, and having a centerpiece DL in Brown would be a nice start.

I think it's either Young at #3 or Okudah/Brown/Simmons in a trade down. I was worried about Simmons as I had heard he could be around 225-230 but he weighed in at 238. The Lions generally are looking for guys to be 240 - 250, so he's not too far off and could add a couple lb's if they really wanted him there. 

There are some guys at CB that are options but Okudah just seems so much further ahead of the next guy at this point. I like Brown but I don't know if the Lions couldn't get similar production from a guy like Leki Fotu later on in the draft. Whether this is the right move or not, they're running their scheme from back to front as opposed to front to back. They're asking for their NT to handle their gaps and add pressure but not necessarily get sacks. 

The WR depth in this class is insane. They've invited 55 guys to the combine. Daniel Jeremiah mentioned he has a round 1-3 grade on 27 guys and traditionally 35 guys tend to get drafted. So we're looking at guys with round 4 grades that should be available in round 7 or as UDFA's. What I'm not convinced on yet is whether the draft is just very deep or if the top to middle guys are that much better than other guys in previous years. That will be interesting to see. 

16 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

New coach, new regime. He isn't married to Haskins and as a defensive guy, it's not like Rivera was brought in to be a QB whisperer to DH. I know guys like @HTTRDynasty are high on him and expect he should get better surrounding talent. Will be interesting to see if Haskins gets Rosen'd. 

It's due diligence.  Begin watching at 1:19:00 here.

http://stream.nbcsports.com/rsn/nfl-redskins-live-stream?utm_tags=nbcswash1348