Is there any chance the Redskins take Tua at #2?

SmittyBacall

3 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

There’s reasons to doubt Burrow, but this isn’t one of them. He was a 4-star recruit. Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, Mayfield, Rodgers, Ryan, Prescott, and Wilson were all 3-star recruits. A prospects recruiting rating is pretty much irrelevant when it comes to NFL success. 

Nah. As a freshman, he wasn’t going to supplant Barrett. Then as a sophomore he was competing to back him up, but broke his hand in practice, giving Haskins the back up job. When Barrett got injured in the game versus Michigan the same year, Haskins came in and played really well, and used that momentum to earn the starting role the next year. That’s when Joe split for LSU. So technically, he only “lost” one job in which Haskins had the leg up on.

Having said that, I get why you would want to stick with Haskins and take Young. 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/ca.sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/the-legend-of-joe-burrow-from-being-mocked-at-ohio-state-to-heisman-frontrunner-at-lsu-234857735.html

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2015/joe-burrow-8242

Rivals had Joe listed as a 3-star recruit so that's what I was going with.

To get Chase Young as the 2nd pick is an absolute steal, Chase Young is an amazing prospect.  And sure Haskins did not do great last year but he is not Josh Rosen as a person or as a football player so I think they give him some more time and take the super talented Chase Young and instantly improve the defense and potentially get a rookie who could be a Pro Bowler his rookie season.

No way they take Tua instead, that would be a little bit of a shock I would say,  Ron Rivera is a defensive guy so doubt they pass on Chase Young.

If they were smart they would do it. The league is not smart. The league is stuck in fear and conventional wisdom. It's like the front offices are terrified that they'll be laughed at for making a commitment one year and then changing course another year.

Meanwhile as you go through life one of the most valuable realities is that nobody gave a darn about your problems the entire time. They are too busy with their own issues.

I saw a redraft of 2017 the other day. The first 4 picks were offensive players. That will be true of virtually any draft and 2020 also, once we own proper perspective. Points dictate, given where the league has evolved. No matter what it looks like ahead of time it is simply far too difficult for that defensive player to justify an extremely early selection. Myles Garrett was #10 in that redraft. 

Obviously it's difficult to identity the names beforehand. But some of these offensive guys are going to boom and be the most influential players of this crop. For Chase Young to eventually be considered second best among this group it's going to require an extraordinary combination of only one (or zero) of these quarterbacks emerging as extra special, plus none (or only one) of the wide receivers, and so forth. 

The probability is not evaluated properly ahead of time. That's what I'm saying. Even if the quarterback is considerably more of a gamble it is worth it above a near-sure thing defensive end. Tua is not some upstart. It would be one thing if Haskins owned potential and also was a guy who can create his own shot like Mahomes or Wilson. Nah. He's going to stand back there and gradually you realize what you have isn't what you could have substituted for, if only you owned the clarity and boldness that will steadily become more the norm in this league.

• Like 2

I don't see Tua as a great prospect.  I saw a QB with a bunch of top-flight offensive talent around him (Jeudy, Ruggs, Smith, Waddle) and a strong OL to protect him.

I don't think he has elite arm talent, foot speed, size, or toughness.  I see a lot of comparisons to Russell Wilson; only time will tell.

2 hours ago, TDTimes said:

I don't see Tua as a great prospect.  I saw a QB with a bunch of top-flight offensive talent around him (Jeudy, Ruggs, Smith, Waddle) and a strong OL to protect him.

I don't think he has elite arm talent, foot speed, size, or toughness.  I see a lot of comparisons to Russell Wilson; only time will tell.

I agree. 

My comparison would be Mark Brunnell (old school I know). Mark was a very good QB but not HOF. Similarities: both lefty, smallish size, accurate passers, and lack elite arm talent. I think Mark was more fleet of foot though. 

21 hours ago, TDTimes said:

Can't that be said about LSUs skill players? He definitely isn't the Drew Brees that he is garnering comparisons too. However I don't think saying he is a product of the Alabama system is false. He is better than every Alabama QB Saban has had.

4 hours ago, Classic said:

Can't that be said about LSUs skill players? He definitely isn't the Drew Brees that he is garnering comparisons too. However I don't think saying he is a product of the Alabama system is false. He is better than every Alabama QB Saban has had.

Hard to argue with you on that.  Alabama has been a wasteland for QB talent since the Ken Stabler and Richard Todd days. 

Full disclosure, I also didn't see Lamar Jackson as a first round QB talent.  So far, I've been way off on that  

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

I don’t think it’s a question of whether Haskins has potential or not. The question is “Does Tua have more potential? If so, is that potential worth doubling-down at QB?”

No it’s not In my opinion. The Cardinals wouldn’t have Kyler Murray right now if Kingsbury didn’t get hired. That seems to be a totally one-off situation. Im also not a big believer in Tua so there’s that.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

No it’s not In my opinion. The Cardinals wouldn’t have Kyler Murray right now if Kingsbury didn’t get hired. That seems to be a totally one-off situation. Im also not a big believer in Tua so there’s that.

Interesting. Do you think the Cards made the right decision last year?