Is there any chance the Redskins take Tua at #2?

SmittyBacall

37 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Interesting. Do you think the Cards made the right decision last year?

For the fit, absolutely. I don’t think Rosen fit at all what Kingsbury wanted to do. I don’t think that’s the case with Scott Turner and Haskins. At least Turner doesn’t seem to be treating it that way. 

On 2/18/2020 at 7:56 AM, SmittyBacall said:

I don’t think it’s a question of whether Haskins has potential or not. The question is “Does Tua have more potential? If so, is that potential worth doubling-down at QB?”

I think the more pressing question should be "Is Tua a clear upgrade over Haskins?"  If the answer isn't yes, then this isn't even a question worth asking.  I'm not nearly as high on Tua as others are, and I don't see him as this franchise-altering player.  I think he's a really good prospect, and probably in that second tier of QB prospects but I don't see a guy who is going to be an elite player in the NFL.

IMO, the Redskins should really try and hard sell to the Lions (if they're serious about trading Stafford) that they LOVE Tua in hopes that they trade up one slot, overpay to move up, and they still get Chase Young, albeit at #3.

It's unlikely, but not out of the realm of possibility that this happens.

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

IMO, the Redskins should really try and hard sell to the Lions (if they're serious about trading Stafford) that they LOVE Tua in hopes that they trade up one slot, overpay to move up, and they still get Chase Young, albeit at #3.

It's unlikely, but not out of the realm of possibility that this happens.

And risk the Lions taking Chase Young at 2 instead?  Not going to happen.

Aside from it being unlikely, even if you miss out on Chase Young (again, unlikely they do this), you have potential leverage with the #3 pick if multiple teams love Tua, especially Miami/San Diego. You trade back 2-4 picks, still get an elite player, and you have major draft capital to go with it.

Again, UNLIKELY, but I've seen stranger things happen on draft day.

30 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

There's a better chance Washington passes on Young to take Okudah than passing on Young to take Tua, IMO.

If by better chance you mean 0.00001% vs 0.000001%, then yeah, I guess.  The bottom line is Young will be a Redskin.  When Snyder wants a player, he gets him.

Edited by HTTRDynasty

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

And risk the Lions taking Chase Young at 2 instead?  Not going to happen.

This scenario gets discussed on draft night quite often.  In this case DET calls WAS and asks if they’re willing to trade out of the #2 spot.  The first question WAS asks is, who are you looking to select?

The Lions GM has to be honest; they can’t say they’re looking to draft Tua, consummate a trade, then turn around and draft Chase Young under the Redskins nose.  That would get around immediately and other teams would refuse to do business with you in future 

It’s a small network of teams and GMs

16 hours ago, TDTimes said:

This scenario gets discussed on draft night quite often.  In this case DET calls WAS and asks if they’re willing to trade out of the #2 spot.  The first question WAS asks is, who are you looking to select?

The Lions GM has to be honest; they can’t say they’re looking to draft Tua, consummate a trade, then turn around and draft Chase Young under the Redskins nose.  That would get around immediately and other teams would refuse to do business with you in future 

It’s a small network of teams and GMs

Except Detroit doesn't have to tell Washington who they're selecting.  That's the problem.  And it's not that the Redskins can run to the commish and say that "Detroit promised not to take Chase Young".   That won't hold up.  Right now, Detroit realistically has two or three options.  If Chase Young falls, they're taking him.  If he doesn't fall, they either take a player here (i.e. Jeffery Odukah) or trade down for a mountain of picks from a QB needy team (i.e. LAC, CAR, MIA, etc.).  Washington likely wants Chase Young above all else.  This is a poor attempt at trying to get a bit more value AND getting the player you want.  It doesn't work that way.  Detroit doesn't even have the motivation to move up for Tua knowing Washington won't take him.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Except Detroit doesn't have to tell Washington who they're selecting.  That's the problem.  And it's not that the Redskins can run to the commish and say that "Detroit promised not to take Chase Young".   That won't hold up.  Right now, Detroit realistically has two or three options.  If Chase Young falls, they're taking him.  If he doesn't fall, they either take a player here (i.e. Jeffery Odukah) or trade down for a mountain of picks from a QB needy team (i.e. LAC, CAR, MIA, etc.).  Washington likely wants Chase Young above all else.  This is a poor attempt at trying to get a bit more value AND getting the player you want.  It doesn't work that way.  Detroit doesn't even have the motivation to move up for Tua knowing Washington won't take him.

To execute a trade into their draft slot?  Yes they do.  WAS never agrees to a trade if they don't, so it becomes a non-issue.

Your last sentence is exactly correct; that's what made the Bears' move to go from #3 to #2 to draft Trubisky a head-scratcher -- I can't imagine there was any other team trying to execute a trade-up to draft Trubisky #2, and SF wasn't going to take him.

2 minutes ago, TDTimes said:

To execute a trade into their draft slot?  Yes they do.  WAS never agrees to a trade if they don't, so it becomes a non-issue.

Your last sentence is exactly correct; that's what made the Bears' move to go from #3 to #2 to draft Trubisky a head-scratcher -- I can't imagine there was any other team trying to execute a trade-up to draft Trubisky #2, and SF wasn't going to take him.

Do you think every time that a team trades up they're going to tell the team who they're trading with who they're selecting?  I've got a bridge to sell you if that's the case.  I think the second part is the only thing that we can agree upon.  Washington isn't moving down from 2 to 3.  They're taking Chase Young.

Except for the fact that Chicago wasn't in the same situation that Detroit is.  Right now, the BPA (Chase Young) is exponentially better than the BPA that year whether it be Solomon Thomas or whoever you liked.  If Washington moves that #2 pick to a team who wants a QB, the Lions happily grab Chase Young.  If the Redskins take Chase Young as expected, the Lions either take a player for themselves or they move down for a bundle of picks.  Detroit doesn't have a ton of motivation to move up for Tua.  The only way that pressure is applied is if they sense Washington is willing to move further than 3.  Does Washington want to miss out on Chase Young?  No, ergo the pressure for Detroit to move up isn't there.

I think that it's more likely Detroit trades Stafford and then either:

A. Takes Tua at #2

or

B. Makes Miami trade a LOT of draft capital to move up, then Detroit grabs Herbert (a lot like the Stafford comparisons in arm strength, type of QB, etc.) and still has a lot of other pieces to build around.

I'm not sure either happens, as Patricia needs to win NOW and I don't know about you, but if I were on the hot seat, I'm not riding or dying with a rookie QB.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I think that it's more likely Detroit trades Stafford and then either:

A. Takes Tua at #2

or

B. Makes Miami trade a LOT of draft capital to move up, then Detroit grabs Herbert (a lot like the Stafford comparisons in arm strength, type of QB, etc.) and still has a lot of other pieces to build around.

I'm not sure either happens, as Patricia needs to win NOW and I don't know about you, but if I were on the hot seat, I'm not riding or dying with a rookie QB.

Ahhhh, to be the head coach of the Detroit Lions and get told you need to win now  lol

Where's Bobby Layne when you really need him?