Rivera and Williams Have Connected

HTTRDynasty

33 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Trust me I get it. But everyone is apoplectic at not having a Top 5 LT protecting Dwayne.

There are 32 teams in the league. I'm pretty sure quite a lot of the other 27 teams (not all though - some just didn't) have figured out a way to manage without a Top 5 LT. 

Keep Penn, draft an OT (or a couple). And then chip the end with a back coming out of the backfield or double him with a TE on some downs. It can be done.

I’m not saying it’s armageddon if he’s not back, but I would ask if we’re certain Trent is even a top 5 LT anymore. My thinking is he’s better than any free agent out there and better than anyone we can draft going into 2020. If possible I’d like to hold off the long term replacement until next offseason. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

I’m not saying it’s armageddon if he’s not back, but I would ask if we’re certain Trent is even a top 5 LT anymore. My thinking is he’s better than any free agent out there and better than anyone we can draft going into 2020. If possible I’d like to hold off the long term replacement until next offseason. 

We could do a list:

1. David Bakhtiari

2. Tyron Smith

3. Andrew Whitworth (might retire)

4. Tyron Armstead

5. Jason Peters

6. Duane Brown

7. Joe Staley

Those are the top LTs in the NFL from last season via PFF.

At worse, Trent is top 10. I think he’s top 5 but it’s debatable.

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

We could do a list:

1. David Bakhtiari

2. Tyron Smith

4. Tyron Armstead

5. Jason Peters

6. Duane Brown

7. Joe Staley

In my opinion looking at this list I would put Trent at top 3 maybe just maybe even top 2 but definitely top 3 in LT's in the league

• Like 1

Just now, Legend_Kenny4ever said:

In my opinion looking at this list I would put Trent at top 3 maybe just maybe even top 2 but definitely top 3 in LT's in the league

I would too, but every time I do it seems like someone wants to blast whoever said it bc they don’t think Trent is quite as good as he is or, they don’t realize that there aren’t that many great LTs in the NFL and we are lucky to have one under contract, at least for now.

33 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

We could do a list:

1. David Bakhtiari

2. Tyron Smith

4. Tyron Armstead

5. Jason Peters

6. Duane Brown

7. Joe Staley

He’s missed a full season so I think it’s silly to try to pinpoint where he ranks. I’m just saying this roster has enough holes to fill and filling one with a top LT in Trent is a priority. 

2 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

This is why I say not to extend anything until he reports and shows what he still has left.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

We could do a list:

1. David Bakhtiari

2. Tyron Smith

4. Tyron Armstead

5. Jason Peters

6. Duane Brown

7. Joe Staley

Hasnt played in 2 years. Was always injured before and his skills were in decline then.

You're basing this on old info.

We need to see him in OTAs and camp to be sure

1 hour ago, bigdog44 said:

He’s missed a full season so I think it’s silly to try to pinpoint where he ranks. I’m just saying this roster has enough holes to fill and filling one with a top LT in Trent is a priority. 

Given that he missed a season, it probably means his body is as fresh as it has been ever. Trent is a great athlete, he doesn't strike means someone who will lose a step just bc he took a year off.

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Given that he missed a season, it probably means his body is as fresh as it has been ever. Trent is a great athlete, he doesn't strike means someone who will lose a step just bc he took a year off.

Like Thai said, I hope he’d have to show something before he gets his deal extended 

5 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Hasnt played in 2 years. Was always injured before and his skills were in decline then.

You're basing this on old info.

We need to see him in OTAs and camp to be sure

Hasn't played in two years? That's a fictional time frame you're making up but I'm sure you'll have some kid of reasoning to it which I won't agree with.

He only missed last season. It's not old info, it's the last list that was done that I see for the NFL’s top tackles before last season. 

His skills weren't in decline. He was getting injured. Playing injured made it look like his skills we're in decline but in the beginning of seasons he didn't look like he had lost anything, but sure if he's playing with a major knee injury, thigh or hand injury it's going to affect his play.

Sure we need to and hopefully will see him but to suggest that Trent is all of a sudden not a good LT or even still great bc he took a year off doesn't pass the smell test with me. If anything is totally healthy for the first time a ready to go.

7 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

Like Thai said, I hope he’d have to show something before he gets his deal extended 

It doesn't matter to me. When you think about it, extending him now and converting some of his base salary into the signing bonus or roster bonus will save cap space for this year. Next year they can have his cap hit be higher when Alex is off the books.

Edited by turtle28

15 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Hasn't played in two years? That's a fictional time frame you're making up but I'm sure you'll have some kid of reasoning to it which I won't agree with.

He only missed last season. It's not old info, it's the last list that was done that I see for the NFL’s top tackles before last season. 

His skills weren't in decline. He was getting injured. Playing injured made it look like his skills we're in decline but in the beginning of seasons he didn't look like he had lost anything, but sure if he's playing with a major knee injury, thigh or hand injury it's going to affect his play.

Sure we need to and hopefully will see him but to suggest that Trent is all of a sudden not a good LT or even still great bc he took a year off doesn't pass the smell test with me. If anything is totally healthy for the first time a ready to go.

Fictional timeline? He last played in 2018.

As for his skills, we just disagree.

Point is, you're relying on when you last saw him play. Which was 2018.

If Im the FO, Im not throwing an extension to him until he shows he still has it.

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

It's been 400 days since his last game. 

Yeah, I meant 2 seasons. Not 730 days. The point still stands that the last time he played for us was in 2018. 

And he wasnt Trent from his 3rd/4th season in terms of skill level.

Hes still pretty good. But also, again, he's not going to give you 16 games. And availability is the best ability.

So no, if I'm making the decision to retain him, I'm not blindly giving a big extension to any player in tgat position until they show they have had no dropoff.