Rivera and Williams Have Connected

HTTRDynasty

3 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

But how do we replace him? Why risk further injury when if we had a quality leader up top before we could have kept last year behind closed doors and just upped him before the mishandling? In the end to me Trent is the out of Bruce so for that he’s a living legend in my book. He should be healthy. And if he believes he has a chance to thrive he will be motivated.

He should be healthy, but almost every year he should be healthy and every year he is broken for a good bit of the season.  He will be 32 with a lengthy injury history.  You have to ask yourself if we can truly go all in on him and depend on him for multiple years?  Because that is what it is gonna take.  He made it very clear, he wants to get paid and he wants guaranteed.  

We replaced him with a vet minimum player last year.  Apparently it isn't as hard as we thought.  I would try to give penn another year and draft a high round tackle (i assume we can trade him for at least 1 second round pick).  We also got Christian who wasn't horrible.  There are some other free agent vets.  

I get how a lot of people give him a level of credit for helping get bruce fired, but two wrongs don't make a right.  I just don't know how you make a precedent of this and let players know that it is ok and they will get their way, if they hold out, smear your staff publicly and basically say he won't be here unless we fire people.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, offbyone said:

That is the team.  Whether we like them or not.  

No it's not. Bruce Allen and Larry Hess aren't the Washington Redskins. 

Trent was clear he had no issues with Snyder or his teammates, but he had issues w/ Bruce bc of his contract and the medical staff - Larry Hess in particular - bc they misdiagnosed him for years and other players had injuries and none of it ever seemed to be handled correctly.

10 hours ago, offbyone said:

He should be healthy, but almost every year he should be healthy and every year he is broken for a good bit of the season.  He will be 32 with a lengthy injury history.  You have to ask yourself if we can truly go all in on him and depend on him for multiple years?  Because that is what it is gonna take.  He made it very clear, he wants to get paid and he wants guaranteed.  

We replaced him with a vet minimum player last year.  Apparently it isn't as hard as we thought.  I would try to give penn another year and draft a high round tackle (i assume we can trade him for at least 1 second round pick).  We also got Christian who wasn't horrible.  There are some other free agent vets.  

I get how a lot of people give him a level of credit for helping get bruce fired, but two wrongs don't make a right.  I just don't know how you make a precedent of this and let players know that it is ok and they will get their way, if they hold out, smear your staff publicly and basically say he won't be here unless we fire people.

He is already on the team, there's no reason to move on from Trent if now he wants to be here. He’s definitely able to play a few more years and the year off probably helped his body recover. 

Give him a 3 year extension, convert some of his base salary into the sighing bonus and that will even clear up cap space for this year bc we still have Alex Smith on the books for one more year.

Signing a stop gap is fine but I don't think you understand how lucky we are to have had pro bowl caliber LTs every year this entire century.

There was no precedent set by Trent. It was a Isolated case. Not every player has cancer and not every player is a 9 year vet who's been pro bowl caliber every year he's been on your team. 

11 hours ago, offbyone said:

So you're basically saying that Trent has no right to smear the Skins medical staff publicly for pushing him to play with a cancerous growth in his head that he repeatedly tried to diagnose and get removed?  It's a bit funny that you mention Trent's age and injury history when Penn is 36 and missed 12 games in 2018 lol 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Bruce was always out for himself.  He was not the team.

I can't take this point of view.  I despise him as much as anyone.  But the employees of the team are the team.  

1 hour ago, tredaddy said:

So you're basically saying that Trent has no right to smear the Skins medical staff publicly for pushing him to play with a cancerous growth in his head that he repeatedly tried to diagnose and get removed?  It's a bit funny that you mention Trent's age and injury history when Penn is 36 and missed 12 games in 2018 lol 

We don't need to rehearse all this.  Yes I am saying slandering people publicly is not cool.  Especially the supposed captain of the team.  It is pretty low brow to do it through proxies for months before speaking up himself.  But the other point of view is that the sports medicine (not oncology) based medical staff told him to get a second opinion multiple times.  He is a big boy, he can afford healthcare.  He refused an independent inquiry into the situation after he slandered the medical staff for months.  In the end he made it very clear that this was about money as much as anything else and that is where Bruce Allen comes into play.

You are totally correct in the irony of Trent vs Penn age.  But Penn doesn't have the extensive injury history like Williams.  Like most people, I thought when we signed up Penn to take his spot it would be disastrous.  I was wrong though.  Penn was very consistent.  

Clearly I am in the minority here.  So maybe I am wrong.  But I am pretty sure this won't work out well.  We are going to commit something like 15 millionish a year for multiple years.  Do you really think we will get our money's worth?  Do you really think that is the best thing for the team?  I would rather get a draft pick or two even if they aren't 1st rounders and move on.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, offbyone said:

IWe don't need to rehearse all this.  Yes I am saying slandering people publicly is not cool.  Especially the supposed captain of the team.  It is pretty low brow to do it through proxies for months before speaking up himself.  But the other point of view is that the sports medicine (not oncology) based medical staff told him to get a second opinion multiple times.  He is a big boy, he can afford healthcare.  He refused an independent inquiry into the situation after he slandered the medical staff for months.  In the end he made it very clear that this was about money as much as anything else and that is where Bruce Allen comes into play.

So the 'sports medicine' staff who refused to remove the cyst on 3 occasions or even test it for that matter gets a pass because they suggested a second opinion after repeatedly misdiagnosing and downplaying his cyst for 5+ years?  Considering he was weeks away from the cancer spreading to his brain, he doesn't have a right to vocalize the malpractice of team doctors for ignoring this issue since 2013?  Yikes my friend. 

• Like 1

There’s no world where Bruce Allen was “The Redskins.” He worked for the Redskins as did/hopefully still will, Trent Williams. 

Bruce Allen is gone and get this, the Redskins will go on!

If you can’t differentiate Trent’s beef with Bruce Allen & the medical staff vs his love for his teammates and his gratitude towards Dan Snyder and everyone else in the front office then you are very narrow minded.

Edited by turtle28

Wow, I'm all over the map with this one.

First of all, it doesn't really matter who Trent's beef was with. I think it's important to start there. Okay, he didn't like Bruce Allen and Larry Hess. We can play those semantic games if you want. But he took the Washington Redskins' money and didn't wear the Washington Redskins jersey; it was the other Washington Redskins players who went into every game last year without their star LT, and it was the Washington Redskins fans who watched 16 games with no Trent Williams. So to try to carry on as if he didn't screw over the Washington Redskins is, to be blunt, a joke. He might not hate the Redskins as a team, he might just hate certain individuals who used to work for the team, but the team itself is the one who got screwed.

Beyond that, I've said elsewhere that I think their hands are tied in terms of being forced to try to bring him back. I don't particularly want him back, but one of the common threads in young QBs who have developed successfully is quality OL play and reliable blindside protection. Free agency is a wasteland for quality starting LTs, and with the 1st rounder likely being spent on Chase Young and no picks until the 3rd, I think a plug-and-play rookie is highly unlikely. This is a guy we have on the roster, who is available and familiar to us, and he's really good when he's on the field. It's a safe way to plug that gaping hole and provide us some security that (for at least 12 games) Haskins's blind side will be well-protected.

Penn did an admirable job for us last year, but he clearly wasn't Trent. There are things you can do when you have a rock at LT -- like get guys out into routes faster because they don't have to chip and slide protections away from the left side -- that we weren't able to do. The protection last season was not good enough, even if it wasn't absolutely abhorrent either. Plus, you can't count on there being a "Donald Penn" available, in the sense that aging multi-time Pro Bowl LTs aren't always around and aren't always willing to sign on with bad teams. 

Now, if the locker room holds a grudge and doesn't want him back, I'd say all bets are off. If they can't forgive him for what he did, then you can't knowingly introduce friction and resentment into the team. But from what I've seen, it seems as though the opposite is true. It seems like they want him back. And if that's the case, maybe you can hold your nose and find a way to make it work for the next couple seasons until we can draft/sign/develop a true replacement.

For me, in the long run Trent did the Redskins fans a service bc his actions helped to rid us of the cancers known as Bruce Allen and Larry Hess.

Something this entire fanbase wanted rid of for years.

So, it seems like a bit of a flip flop to me there.

Not having Trent Williams on the field last year sucked, did it cause us to lose games?

I don’t think so.  And if Trent not being on the field last year did cost us a game or two, once again in the long run that helps us bc it either leads to Chase Young or a trade down for multiple early draft picks which will make our team better.

It doesn’t bother me, the ends justify the means. 

Edited by turtle28