Positivity

dll2000

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

Maybe.  I just don't see them spending big at TE with Burton's fairly big contract still on the books for at least 1 more season.

I can totally see them drafting a TE as early as the 2nd and keeping Burton, Horstead and Holtz in the mix.  IMO Horstead and Holtz were nice additions that helped as the season went on.

It is a TE focused offense and those guys did not break 100 yards receiving for the season. Holtz was better at FB where I would move him.

Pace has consistently sucked at addressing the TE spot and Burton cannot be relied on for anything.

I think he is going to follow the same MO he has in the past and make a strong move in FA to address the weakest position on the  team.

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

It is a TE focused offense and those guys did not break 100 yards receiving for the season. Holtz was better at FB where I would move him.

Pace has consistently sucked at addressing the TE spot and Burton cannot be relied on for anything.

I think he is going to follow the same MO he has in the past and make a strong move in FA to address the weakest position on the  team.

There isn’t really a difference making TE available other than Henry and he isn’t a physical player which Bears also really need.  

Hooper is just above average, not a difference maker.  

Henry is also an injury risk.  He will also cost big bucks. 

Pace probably picks up a FA band aid who is just a guy at best.  

Nagy doesn’t like using FBs. 

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

There isn’t really a difference making TE available other than Henry and he isn’t a physical player which Bears also really need.  

Hooper is just above average, not a difference maker.  

Henry is also an injury risk.  He will also cost big bucks. 

Pace probably picks up a FA band aid who is just a guy at best.  

Nagy doesn’t like using FBs. 

There are 3 guys in free agency that defenses actually need to cover

Henry

Hooper

Ebron

8 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

You may be right but I'm just finding it hard to see where they fit a big money TE in with the current guys they have committed for 2020.  Let's assume they cut Shaheen, that still leaves them with ~$12.5M or so in cap money tied up to the TE position for next season.

I also forgot to mention that Ben Braunecker is still under contract for another year in 2020 and we cannot underestimate the importance of keeping him since he is a key special teams player.

2 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

You may be right but I'm just finding it hard to see where they fit a big money TE in with the current guys they have committed for 2020.  Let's assume they cut Shaheen, that still leaves them with ~$12.5M or so in cap money tied up to the TE position for next season.

I also forgot to mention that Ben Braunecker is still under contract for another year in 2020 and we cannot underestimate the importance of keeping him since he is a key special teams player.

Burton is gone after this season.

Braunecker and Shaheen could easily both be cut.

They need someone who can start week 1 at a key position on the offense. That does not seem like the type of need you can leave to a chronically injured free agent bust or a 2nd round pick.

• Like 1

Still kinda jacked the year I represented Bears in forum site GM game my first three picks were:

1. Jack Conklin

2. Chris Jones

3. Austin Hooper

I actually tried to act like a scout that year and put a lot of time into it.  Spent a ton of hours watching college tape that year.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

He's played in 81% of all possible games per each season since he was drafted in 2015.  I'd say that's pretty good for a lineman.

I don't really care what he did in 2015. I care that's played in 61% of his games from 2017-2019. Even if you go by his whole career, 81% of his games is about 13 games per year. That's not osmeone I'm willing to give $15M a year to.

9 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I don't really care what he did in 2015. I care that's played in 61% of his games from 2017-2019. Even if you go by his whole career, 81% of his games is about 13 games per year. That's not osmeone I'm willing to give $15M a year to.

You are going to be hard pressed to find OLmen who have never missed a game.

While Kyle and Chris were discussing Trubisky, they reminisced about a conversation they had following the Bears playoff loss to the Eagles in January of 2019. “If we beat you guys, could we have made a run? You said, ‘no shot, you guys weren’t physical enough.’ And I can attest to that because when we went out there it was like playing up against the varsity team in terms of pace, and physicality,” said Kyle.

“Yea we had a physical group and I just thought like, ya know the type of runs you guys used, I didn’t feel like it played to your strengths. Like you had some physical players, again, I’m not taking away from the toughness or physicality of the players but, scheme matters,” Chris replied.

Well said Chris, well said.

This echoes what Kyle Long was saying earlier too during a radio broadcast when asked about Mitch, saying how the offense wasn't being tailored to his strengths to help him be the best QB he could possibly be.

This article is basically an indictment of Nagy that he needs to be better as an offensive coordinator if he's going to continue taking on that responsibility. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

Well said Chris, well said.

This echoes what Kyle Long was saying earlier too during a radio broadcast when asked about Mitch, saying how the offense wasn't being tailored to his strengths to help him be the best QB he could possibly be.

This article is basically an indictment of Nagy that he needs to be better as an offensive coordinator if he's going to continue taking on that responsibility. 

He has shown he is not interested in tailoring to Mitch's strengths. He has shown he is not interested in being physical, he wants to out smart or confuse the defense and he ends up confusing his own players.

Nagy isn't changing. The QB is going to be changing.

17 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He has shown he is not interested in tailoring to Mitch's strengths. He has shown he is not interested in being physical, he wants to out smart or confuse the defense and he ends up confusing his own players.

@topwop1

Very old adage in coaching:  "You coach what you know."

Very few guys have breadth of knowledge necessary to adapt personnel to any scheme.  Almost all of them are over 60 and been coaching or playing in some capacity since they were 21.  

6 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

@topwop1

Very old adage in coaching:  "You coach what you know."

Very few guys have breadth of knowledge necessary to adapt personnel to any scheme.  Almost all of them are over 60 and been coaching or playing in some capacity since they were 21.  

I'm not saying that isn't true...but if Nagy realizes he is limited in what he knows to best help his current group of players, most notably at QB and RB, then he should delegate that responsibility off to some other offensive coach that has a better understanding of how to play to those players' strengths.

Hopefully that is why he hired Bill Lazor and got rid of Helfrich.

29 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Somehow I think Dowell Loggains' offense was better suited for this current cast of Bears players.  How sad is it to say that.

4 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Somehow I think Dowell Loggains' offense was better suited for this current cast of Bears players.  How sad is it to say that.

We do not have a TE that can execute the system.

The OL cannot execute the system at a high level.

The QB pretty obviously cannot.

Yet, last season he showed that the system is more important to him than the players being successful. So, the personnel needs to change or the coach needs to change. 

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

We do not have a TE that can execute the system.

The OL cannot execute the system at a high level.

The QB pretty obviously cannot.

Yet, last season he showed that the system is more important to him than the players being successful. So, the personnel needs to change or the coach needs to change. 

I'm not going to change your opinion on this but how can we expect a QB to execute a system that is reliant on a certain type of TE and OL that is currently lacking with this team?