Report - Falcons to cut Devonta Freeman

goldfishwars

Just now, theJ said:

Honestly thought he was already gone.  When was the last time he took a snap?  Feels like 3 years ago at this point.

It's a testament to his inability to run the ball now that he played 14 games last year and i didn't even realize it.  I even had multiple Falcons on fantasy teams, and he never once crossed my mind or showed up on a stat line that i cared about.

He may find a deal slightly above the vet min, but it's going to be slim pickings for him out there.

58 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Another chapter in the cautionary tale about paying your running backs big money.

Freeman wasnt making *big* bucks (unless the point of reference is some 4th-6th round draft pick) and his second contract was warranted by production the previous two seasons. Due to injuries, ATL's getting out from under just when the contract's about to escalate. Be interesting to know the teams decision if he'd not suffered the injuries and his production remain consistent.

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Freeman wasnt making *big* bucks (unless the point of reference is some 4th-6th round draft pick)

His annual salary is top 5 in the NFL. I consider that big bucks in comparison to rookie contracts.

9 minutes ago, Leader said:

his second contract was warranted by production the previous two seasons.

No doubt he warranted the contract, but it was probably in the best interest of the Falcons to spend that money elsewhere. 

10 minutes ago, Leader said:

Due to injuries, ATL's getting out from under just when the contract's about to escalate. Be interesting to know the teams decision if he'd not suffered the injuries and his production remain consistent.

That’s kind of my point. The shelf-life for running backs aren’t worth their contracts, even if they’ve earned it. It’s a brutal position to play.