Report - Falcons to cut Devonta Freeman

goldfishwars

17 minutes ago, Leader said:

Freeman wasnt making *big* bucks (unless the point of reference is some 4th-6th round draft pick) and his second contract was warranted by production the previous two seasons. Due to injuries, ATL's getting out from under just when the contract's about to escalate. Be interesting to know the teams decision if he'd not suffered the injuries and his production remain consistent.

Very true. Devonta's first 3 years under the deal: 4.4M, 5M, 6.75M. Last 3: 9.5M, 9.3M, 8.2M

2015-2016 Devonta: 31 games, 492 carries, 2,135 yards, 22 TD, 127 catches, 1,040 yards, 5 TD, 4 fumbles. 

2017-2019 Devonta: 30 games, 394 carries, 1589 yards, 9 TD, 100 catches, 750 yards, 5 TD, 7 fumbles.

So he wasn't worth the next 3 years based on how his last 3 have gone. But he was worth the first 3 based on how 15-16 went. Let him go and let him enjoy SF with Shanahan.

2 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

His annual salary is top 5 in the NFL. I consider that big bucks in comparison to rookie contracts. No doubt he warranted the contract, but it was probably in the best interest of the Falcons to spend that money elsewhere.

Generally speaking, the only things cheaper than rookie contracts are the UDFA's. Freeman was working on a second contract (or extension, I dont know exactly cause I dont follow ATL that closely and havent researched it) - which was warranted given production and *wasnt* huge bucks in their cap situation.

4 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

That’s kind of my point. The shelf-life for running backs aren’t worth their contracts, even if they’ve earned it. It’s a brutal position to play. 

The shelf life or most RB's is short - and money can *always* be considered for allocation elsewhere. I think ATL got good "bang for the buck" or that it wasnt a bad deal when signed - except the injuries clipped his production which puts a bad light on things - but it can happen to any position.

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

Generally speaking, the only things cheaper than rookie contracts are the UDFA's. Freeman was working on a second contract (or extension, I dont know exactly cause I dont follow ATL that closely and havent researched it) - which was warranted given production and *wasnt* huge bucks in their cap situation.

The shelf life or most RB's is short - and money can *always* be considered for allocation elsewhere. I think ATL got good "bang for the buck" or that it wasnt a bad deal when signed - except the injuries clipped his production which puts a bad light on things - but it can happen to any position.

He wasn't huge bucks, but he was about to be. But his last 3 seasons haven't warranted paying him for the future since he's on a downward trend.

10 minutes ago, scar988 said:

He wasn't huge bucks, but he was about to be. But his last 3 seasons haven't warranted paying him for the future since he's on a downward trend.

Agreed. Thats what I was saying. Only "wrinkle" that would have made it interesting is if the players production had remained constant (or improved even).  To see the organization's decision going forward if that were the case.....but it wasnt and they're making the right choice.

If he isn’t fixed on taking the biggest deal on the market then he should go to KC. Split time with Williams and get in a RB-friendly offense. Could probably say the same for Baltimore. 

If he just wants money - hope Miami wants you.

11 hours ago, candyman93 said:

JK Dobbins makes sense for them in the draft 

With all the needs the Falcons have on defense? Edge, DT, OLB, CB, S are all needs, not to mention LG and C on offense, and maybe TE if they don't resign Hooper. That would be a fireable offense for Dimitroff. They don't need to draft with a RB, just stick with UDFA's/late rounders at RB.

10 hours ago, theJ said:

It's a testament to his inability to run the ball now that he played 14 games last year and i didn't even realize it.  I even had multiple Falcons on fantasy teams, and he never once crossed my mind or showed up on a stat line that i cared about.

Freeman's a Shanny back. He needs to be put in space to be effective, but when he is, he's pretty good. The problem was that we moved from a zone-blocking scheme that fit Freeman's talents, to a power/gap scheme (because that's what Dirk Koetter likes). It really hurt what Freeman was capable of doing. Also, our run blocking is BAD. Go watch some Falcons film, running lanes collapse all the time before Freeman is able to make his cut.

So in essence, it's all Dirk Koetter's fault, completely unironically.

• Like 1