More flex scheduling could be on the way

August4th

The NFL has asked teams for feedback on the prospect of radically expanding flex scheduling, including the possibility of moving games from Sunday to Monday in mid-season, sources said.

Before the holidays, league executives posed an open-ended question to teams: How much flexing could they handle? How much advance notice would teams need if broadcasters wanted to switch a Sunday afternoon game to “Monday Night Football?” What if every week of the season were opened to flexing?

Any flex scheduling changes would not take effect until new media rights deals kick in, starting with the 2023 season. Even though the NFL has not started formal negotiations with any networks, ESPN has let it be known that it wants to incorporate flexible scheduling as part of a new “Monday Night Football” deal.

ESPN wants to be able to flex out of late-season games that carry no postseason implications, like the Dec. 24, 2018, matchup between the 6-8 Denver Broncos and the 3-11 Oakland Raiders, or the Week 10 matchup earlier that season between the 1-7 New York Giants and the 2-7 San Francisco 49ers.

As an added enticement, ESPN has told the NFL that it would put “Monday Night Football” back on ABC if it ends up with the rights. ESPN’s “Monday Night Football” deal ends after the 2021 season, one season before the league’s other media rights packages expire.

It’s not just ESPN, though. NBC’s “Sunday Night Football” likely wants more options. With some exceptions, the NFL typically announces its flex games for Sunday nights 12 days before kickoff, starting in Week 5. NBC likely wants that time frame to be moved up. The NFL can flex only two games into Sunday night between weeks 5 and 10, another point that NBC likely wants to be relaxed.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2020/02/10/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/NFL-flex.aspx

• Like 1

This is crapola, but its the NFL

The part I find interesting is that they know there are crappy match-ups at the end of the season. So crappy that they don't want to broadcast them
Yet out of the other side of their faces, they clamor for a 17 game season. Why do we need more ****ty football if its not even good enough for TV ? 

As far as the flex, the NFL is already struggling to fill many of the stadiums around the league. I can't imagine fans will be OK with buying airfares, hotels and making plans only to have The Lords move the game time to make a few more bucks.

How many yachts do you need Jerry and Robert ?

a883b2164018d46719b27da8aaffd895.jpg

4 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

This is crapola, but its the NFL

As far as the flex, the NFL is already struggling to fill many of the stadiums around the league. I can't imagine fans will be OK with buying airfares, hotels and making plans only to have The Lords move the game time to make a few more bucks.

This all day.  Some people have to plan these things out well in advance to travel to games not local.  This is absolutely crapping all over them and forcing them to make last second changes.  I made the Lambeau trip a few years ago.  I can't even describe how changing a Sunday game to a Monday night game would suck trying to make adjustments to travel, lodging, and work schedules.  Leave the Monday night games alone.  If they hate the match-ups, try doing a little research into teams moving forward instead of trying to get the big market teams on there as much as possible.  Like, did anyone really expect the Jets and Giants to be top contenders this past season?

Edited by INbengalfan
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

I think this is a terrible idea for fans.  Those fans that purchase tickets.  It may not impact alot of them, but if I've planned a trip to a game, booked my flights, etc., and then the league moves the game?  That, in my opinion, is very disrespectful.  

The only way to make it work is to give bonuses to such fans. Further "flexing" is, let's face it, a problematic thing.

It's a great idea for everyone except gameday fans yeah,

Maybe if it's less nimble than MNF. Like do it 31 or more days out, that way most hotels should honor a change of date. Or make the choice for the rest of the season after the first 4 weeks.
Looking at schedule last year, they didn't do the worse job scheduling.

1. Texans vs. Saints
  2. Broncos vs. Raiders, both teams were bottom 10...though I get this game is kinda a throwaway a week 1b
  3. Browns vs. Jets - Two teams that underachieve a lot, but they were both looked at as taking a step forward, worthy early season gamble.
  4. Bears vs. Redskins - Bears were a playoff team, Skins were middle of the pack...it's not the best but an ok matchup
  5. Bengals vs. Steelers - When's the last time the Bengals were exciting?
  6. Browns vs. 49ers - dont put perennial underachieving teams on MNF twice
  7. Lions vs. Packers - Some exciting games in the past, a decent divisional matchup.
  8. Patriots vs. Jets - Preferably would have this earlier, but you have the Jets maybe taking a step to beat the team who has owned the division for 20 years
  9. Dolphins vs. Steelers - we all knew the Phins were tanking, why were they in Primetime?
  10. Cowboys vs. Giants - Yes NFCE games do well, but the Giants have sucked for years. 
  11. Seahawks vs. 49ers - Seattle's style of play always keeps games close, mix that with the Niners getting JimmyG back at a worthy choice
  12. Chiefs vs. Chargers - Shoulda been two really good teams battling for the divisional crown, Chargers just fell off a cliff.
  13. Ravens vs. Rams - Exciting young QB getting his first full year vs a team who played in the SB, makes sense.
  14. Vikings vs. Seahawks - two good teams, that there is a bit of a hate relationship with (at least I always thought so)
  15. Giants vs. Eagles - again these do well numbers-wise, but the Giants had sucked and it was a helluva bet that that failed that the eagles would be healthy.
  16. Colts vs. Saints - former SB matchup, was gonna be Luck vs Brees
  17. Packers vs. Vikings - it's a fine matchup, not the best idea to put a team like the Vikings on twice (aging, hot & cold) but could do way worse.

So the key is, make sure they are exciting teams that don't have a history or underperforming or being bad the last couple years.
Maybe wait til post draft to do the schedule?

9 minutes ago, August4th said:

IDK how the MNF flexing would work without screwing over fans and other businesses. what happens if someone has something schedule to take place at the stadium or need to use same parking in the area that Monday. sounds like a potential nightmare in traffic and logistics

Feel like they would just mandate all teams that arent in other primetime games to keep the stadium open on the schedule. 
I mean it's not like there is a ton of things happening on a Monday night in most cities...right?

24 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

60,000 people in a stadium(a fraction of which will go through travel arrangements) vs. millions who watch on tv, it's simple numbers.

People who paid 100-300 for tickets should take precedent to those watching on TV 

• Like 1