Texas OT Connor Williams out indefinitely!!!

Iamcanadian

Texas has confirmed that All-American junior LT Connor Williams will undergo surgery on his knee after he tore the MCL and sprained both the the MCL and PCLs in his left knee. The surgery is expected to take place in the next week to 10 days. There is no timetable on Williams’ return pending how well the surgery goes, but it appears that he is out for an extended period.

The injury will also impact Williams’ draft status.

6 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Texas has confirmed that All-American junior LT Connor Williams will undergo surgery on his knee after he tore the MCL and sprained both the the MCL and PCLs in his left knee. The surgery is expected to take place in the next week to 10 days. There is no timetable on Williams’ return pending how well the surgery goes, but it appears that he is out for an extended period.

The injury will also impact Williams’ draft status.

Didn't tear the MCL, sprained it.  Also sprained PCL and tore his meniscus.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/09/17/texas-longhorns-connor-williams-injury

1 hour ago, coach4fu said:

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/09/17/texas-longhorns-connor-williams-injury

I hope you are right on, because I absolutely hate when serious injuries fall on potential high picks or any player for that matter, even if he plays for a team I hate. I still want to see them all play.

Add him to the list....

WR Deebo Samuel - leg out for season

QB Deondre Francois Florida State - knee out for season

WR Nick Westbrook Indiana - knee out for season

LB Christian Miller Alabama - Bicep out for season

LB Terrell Lewis Alabama - Elbow out of the season

CB Ryan Pulley Arkansas - shoulder out for the season

LB Darrin Kirkland Jr. Tennessee - knee out for season

WR Jauan Jennings - wrist out for season

TE Miller Forristall - knee out for season

LB Jack Cichy Wisconsin - ACL out for season

S Marcell Harris - achilles out for season

CB Jordan Parker OU - knee out for season

LB Jackson Dillion - Head out for season

QB Tyrell Pigrome - knee out for season

LB Peyton Pelluer - foot out for season

S Justin Tranquill - ACL out for season

QB Jacob Eason Georgia - ankle out indefinitely

OT Connor Williams - knee out indefinitely

CB John Reid - knee out indefinitely

RB Terence Williams Baylor - shoulder out indefinitely

LB E. J. Levenberry UCONN - knee out indefinitely

Alabama has been hit the hardest with injuries, their starting 5 linebackers are all out....  That is too bad for Williams, especially considering he has not gotten off to the best start, did have some struggles in pass pro early this season.  Be very curious what he does around draft time.  

15 hours ago, coach4fu said:

Sprains can technically still be tears, just very minor ones.  People hear tear and they think complete tears, but with sprains and strains (difference between the two is whether you're talking about a ligament or a tendon).  Because both are fibrous, it's actually pretty common that with either some of the fibers do tear, they just don't require surgery to repair.

It's the meniscus tear that should be the most concerning, though, particularly for a player who carries the kind of weight that he does and whose position requires good flexibility of the knees.

8 hours ago, The LBC said:

Sprains can technically still be tears, just very minor ones.  People hear tear and they think complete tears, but with sprains and strains (difference between the two is whether you're talking about a ligament or a tendon).  Because both are fibrous, it's actually pretty common that with either some of the fibers do tear, they just don't require surgery to repair.

It's the meniscus tear that should be the most concerning, though, particularly for a player who carries the kind of weight that he does and whose position requires good flexibility of the knees.

True, but ortho's usually differentiate between tears/sprains.  

7 hours ago, coach4fu said:

Orthos do, I'm not as convinced reporters do.  Bias is always going to be reflected by reporters; local beat writers will likely go with the term that suggests the minimizing (unless they're going for panic-inducing clickbait), national/outside-market reporters will likely go with the more extreme term just to get people to actually pay attention to the story.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2017 at 8:47 AM, coach4fu said:

I'm no doctor so take this for what you wish, but my understanding is that there are basically like 3 degrees of tears, and a sprain is a word that effectively refers to the least severe tear grade. I've also read that with many injuries, a less severe tear can be harder to rehab because they don't want it to tear further/completely, so sometimes it will take more time to rehab (but not always). Overall, I think this happened early enough that Williams could probably still come out if he wanted, but IMO, he wasn't performing up to the standard that he needed to be. I think he probably goes back to school more because of his play than the injury, but obviously coming out is a personal decision for each player.

Archived