Biggest non-QB bust?

Bolts223

13 hours ago, Dome said:

Vernon Gholston for me. He was the 6th overall pick and has 0 sacks in his career.

Yes, but you see, he was extremely well-built, and thus a sure bet for NFL stardom....... or so a few salivating Jets' fans seemed to think at the time.  More than once I saw this famous beefcake photo of The Ghost wordlessly posted as though incontrovertible proof of his eventual stardom. Sort of look at this guy! I rest my case. I began to wonder if NFL scouts were going to start attending the Mr. Olympia, or perhaps the Ahhhh-nold Classic, instead of the NFL Combine. After a few sackless years for Gholston and his mighty physique one began seeing alibiing posts claiming that in this game or that he had almost got a sack, and had "applied pressure", as one might rationalize away failing to have sex with a girl- well, no, we didn't actually DO it, but I applied a lot of pressure!

Happily there arose from the Gholston fiasco a new NFL stat, or, in modern terminology, a new "metric": the ALMOST, a number for which Leonard Williams is enormously grateful, and owing to which he is apparently about to get rich: Leonard Williams had zero sacks in 2019, but he led the league with 17 Almosts!

Vernon Gholston 

• Like 2

Trubisky easy since the next 2 QBs might both wind up in the HoF and one of them is already MVP and SB MVP.

They also traded up to take him so he cost a bunch.

Just plain bad player without context then maybe someone from this list:

• Gholston of course
  • Charles Rogers
  • Danny Watkins
  • Jamal Reynolds
  • Wendell Bryant
  • Jerome McDougle
  • Troy Williamson
  • Justin Harrell
  • Jason Smith

Then there are guys like Justin Blackmon who was pretty good in the 20 games he played but could not stay out of trouble.

• Man, he just turned 30 and is still not able to play.

For Entertainment Purposes Only:

Top 5 picks in the 1989 NFL Draft

1 - Troy Aikman - HoF

2 - Tony Mandarich

3 - Barry Sanders - HoF

4 - Derrick Thomas - HoF

5 - Deion Sanders - HoF

Ouch!

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Brian Bosworth, Steve Emtman, Kijanna Carter, Lawrence Phillips.

Boz was overhyped, but it's a misconception he sucked, probably due to that one play he got trucked by Bo Jackson. In reality Boz was a decent player that had injury problems.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

What about that LT the Raiders drafted a few years ago who was an athletic FREAK (last name was Campbell I think?) but was just god awful at actually blocking?

Robert Gallery? Wasn't he a serviceable G for the Seahawks? 

Not a hit, but I'd hesitate to call him a flat out bust.

Got a good one - Justin Gilbert.

8 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

We're talking like the past 20 years my dude.

Guy's not even top 5 in terms of WR busts IMO. He sucked but injury busts aren't as bad as idiots like (justin blackmon, josh gordon etc.) who washed out because of addictions/stupid decisions. 

I called him a bust not a bad person/idiot/addict.   To me a bust is a top-10 pick with 25 receptions and 0 TD’s but everyone can have their own definition. 

41 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Robert Gallery? Wasn't he a serviceable G for the Seahawks? 

Not a hit, but I'd hesitate to call him a flat out bust.

Got a good one - Justin Gilbert.

16 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Kolton Miller?

Both wrong. I'm thinking of Bruce Campbell, and just now realized he was a 4th round pick so very, very hard to call him a bust at any level lol

• Like 1