Biggest non-QB bust?

Bolts223

7 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

For the Vikings, there is an even bigger bust than Troy Williamson.  His name was Dimitrius Underwood.  He was a defensive end who turned out to have mental problems.  We signed him to a $5.3 million contract and he ended up going AWOL after his first practice in training camp, never to be seen in any team activities again.  He didn't end up getting paid any of the contract money, but we ended up wasting our first-round pick (#29 overall) on him.

I had completely forgotten about him. What a headcase. 

• Like 1

People are talking about 0 sacks with Vernon Gholston. The man have 42 TACKLES in 45 games. How do you AVERAGE less than 1 tackle a game as a starting linebacker? Per volume, Trent Richardson is arguably the worst RB in the history of the NFL though.

• Like 1

Aaron Curry. He was suppose to be the next defensive generational player. 

Gholston, no. Everyone knew he was a workout warrior and a ridiculously high probability of being a bust. Even the talking media heads said he might bust hard and they are usually high on everyone. 

9 hours ago, ET80 said:

That's fair, but I remember the hype coming in on Dorsey - folks were comparing him to Warren Sapp, and I actually thought he'd live up that expectation, he was a beast in college.

I thought he would too. And he definitely didn't turn into that. But dude had a 9 year career as a very good run defender. But when we're talking about guys like Dion Jordan, who started one game for the team who drafted him, or Larry Elkins, who had 24 career receptions after getting drafted 2nd overall, or Tony Mandarich, who was taken over Barry, Deion, and DT, and then only started two seasons (poorly) for Green Bay, he just isn't in that kind of conversation. Dorsey isn't even the biggest Chiefs bust.

Dorsey MIGHT be in the conversation for biggest disappointments of the 2008 draft (Vernon Gholston and Derrick Harvey probably have him outdone there though, still.) But he was too competent a player for far too long to be considered an all-time bust.

7 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Some people remember Mike Mamula in the same way that they remember Gholston (workout hero but a draft bust)

Mamula had 31.5 sacks, including 2 seasons of 8+ and he played in 5 playoff games.

He would be unremarkable if he was drafted at 17 instead of 7.

Mamula was a reach, not a bust 

The main thing I remember about Curry, wasn't that he was supposed to be that great of a player, but he was supposed to be incredibly safe; bust-proof.

A lot of these mentioned don't even make me bat an eye. Anything beyond the top 10, or even top 5, shouldn't remotely qualify.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Hukos said:

He's a bust as a pass rusher, but I think he's actually somewhat respectable at being a QB spy. So he's not quite a bust.

He's not even a bust as a pass rusher thats ridiculous to say.  He might not be some 15 sack a year monster but he's far from a bust considering he is avging around 8 a year almost.   I think people really don't understand what bust means.  If were talking about a bust i would imagine it's a top 3 pick that was expected to be some world beater and can't miss prospect like Chase Young is this year.  If he comes out and gives around 3  sacks a year and makes no probowls then i would consider him a bust.    But the 8th pick in the draft and not even the #1 DE coming out giving you an avg of 8 a year is not a bust.   Now if you want to talk Falcons busts with the 8th pick then we can talk Jamaal fricken Anderson  6 years and 7.5 sacks total  now thats garbage.

23 hours ago, ET80 said:

Robert Gallery? Wasn't he a serviceable G for the Seahawks? 

Not a hit, but I'd hesitate to call him a flat out bust.

Got a good one - Justin Gilbert.

Met Jim Leonhard when he was on the browns. Sounds like Gilbert had work ethic issues more then anything else though Jim was very careful about being too hard on him. 

• Like 1

Reggie Bush was a major draft bust.  

Everybody was freaking out back in 2006 when Houston went with Mario Williams instead.  

No, Mario Williams actually had a pretty solid career.  

Bush barely rushed for 1,000 yards in just two seasons, had negative yardage after his last season, and was out of the league before he was even 35.  

Honestly, his career was terrible.