Biggest non-QB bust?

Bolts223

Got curious and looked up post-merger non-QB draft picks in the top-10 overall who had the lowest Career AV per PFref.

The ten lowest were:

1. RB Larry Stegent (8th overall, 1970) - 0 career rushing yards, 1 catch for 12 yards (suffered a knee injury in his first preseason game, which might explain why)
  2. DL Reggie Rogers (7th overall, 1987) - 2 career sacks in 15 games over 4 seasons (drove drunk and killed 3 teenagers in a collision, also breaking his own neck)
  3. WR Kevin White (we all know this one)
  4. OT Kevin Allen (9th overall, 1985 ) - cut by the Eagles after 1 season for testing positive for blow; ranked as the 4th worst NFL player of all time by Deadspin.
  5. OG Brian Jozwiak (7th overall, 1986) - appeared in 28 games over 3 seasons for the Chiefs, with just 3 starts; retired due to a hip injury.
  6. LB Mike Junkin (5th overall, 1987) - 7 starts in 3 seasons for the Browns and Chiefs, and suffered a variety of injuries, then got popped for steroids.
  7. DE Jamal Reynolds (10th overall, 2001) - 3 sacks over 3 seasons (18 games) for the Packers.
  8. LB Trev Alberts (5th overall, 1994) - Started 7 games for the Colts over 3 seasons and was always hurt.
  9. DB Justin Gilbert (we all know this one)
  10. DB Bruce Pickens (3rd overall, 1991) - Vaguely remember this guy's name but can't find anything on him or why he flamed out. 

Out of these, I'd have to say Rogers was the worst, given he has the same body count as Aaron Hernandez. 

Edited by Starless
  • Like 2

On 2/12/2020 at 2:28 AM, LeotheLion said:

Trent Richardson, Greg Robinson, Gholston, Curry 

Trent Richardson always going to be remain infamous in my mind, especially considering he went to a spring league and literally had more TD's than rushing yards in a game once.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Starless said:

Got curious and looked up post-merger non-QB draft picks in the top-10 overall who had the lowest Career AV per PFref.

The ten lowest were:

1. RB Larry Stegent (8th overall, 1970) - 0 career rushing yards, 1 catch for 12 yards (suffered a knee injury in his first preseason game, which might explain why)
  2. DL Reggie Rogers (7th overall, 1987) - 2 career sacks in 15 games over 4 seasons (drove drunk and killed 3 teenagers in a collision, also breaking his own neck)
  3. WR Kevin White (we all know this one)
  4. OT Kevin Allen (9th overall, 1985 ) - cut by the Eagles after 1 season for testing positive for blow; ranked as the 4th worst NFL player of all time by Deadspin.
  5. OG Brian Jozwiak (7th overall, 1986) - appeared in 28 games over 3 seasons for the Chiefs, with just 3 starts; retired due to a hip injury.
  6. LB Mike Junkin (5th overall, 1987) - 7 starts in 3 seasons for the Browns and Chiefs, and suffered a variety of injuries, then got popped for steroids.
  7. DE Jamal Reynolds (10th overall, 2001) - 3 sacks over 3 seasons (18 games) for the Packers.
  8. LB Trev Alberts (5th overall, 1994) - Started 7 games for the Colts over 3 seasons and was always hurt.
  9. DB Justin Gilbert (we all know this one)
  10. DB Bruce Pickens (3rd overall, 1991) - Vaguely remember this guy's name but can't find anything on him or why he flamed out. 

Out of these, I'd have to say Rogers was the worst, given he has the same body count as Aaron Hernandez. 

Reading about Rogers, apparently they didn't even cut him because he killed those kids, but because he broke his neck. Damn.

And he had a lot of issues afterwards too, five more DUI's and died from mixing coke and alcohol. His brother apparently died from the same thing. Troubling life.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Starless said:

RB Larry Stegent (8th overall, 1970) - 0 career rushing yards, 1 catch for 12 yards (suffered a knee injury in his first preseason game, which might explain why)

On this website (http://azcardinal.com/hist.htm#1966_to_1970:_Charley_Winner), the author dismissed the pick as the bust. He got this response from Larry's son:

..Yes the 1970 draft did seem to be a sucky one. However, taking my dad at the 8th spot was a steal. He was a tremendous football player. Injuries cut his career terribly short. Let me tell you something about my father. He was big. He could run. He had great hands. He could block. He could do it all. Ask anyone who knows anything about my father and they will tell you the same thing. If he would have never trashed his knee at Veteran's stadium ( where that was a common occurrence) you would be singing his praises right now, because he had the talent and the passion to be a hall of fame running back. Ask anyone at A&M...My dad grew up dirt poor and his only way out was through football. He dominated at every level he played at. If he would not have gotten hurt in St. Louis, he would have dominated the professional ranks as well...Larry Stegent was a great football player and a great pick. Things don't always turn out the way you want them to. At the time, he was the obvious selection for the Cards. He was as good as they came. If Landry and Lombardi were alive today, they would tell you the same, because that is what they told my dad.

-Jason Stegent

I’m not sure many will remember Steelers LB Huey Richardson, the 15th overall pick in the 1991 draft. 

After a rookie season where he looked totally out of place, and recorded two tackles, Richardson was traded by Pittsburgh to Washington for a lowly 7th round pick.

The Redskins released him after only four games, and after finishing the 1992 season with the Jets, Richardson’s NFL career was over.

Edited by Boknows34

17 hours ago, BZski said:

Jason Smith from Baylor? 

2. Jason Smith

3. Tyson Jackson 

4. Aaron Curry

5. Mark Sanchez

Back in 2009, the 0-16 Lions had the 1st overall pick and thankfully took Matt Stafford. I can remember a lot of fans wanting them to draft Curry instead. 

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 2:40 PM, RamblinMan99 said:

Reggie Bush was a major draft bust.  

Everybody was freaking out back in 2006 when Houston went with Mario Williams instead.  

No, Mario Williams actually had a pretty solid career.  

Bush barely rushed for 1,000 yards in just two seasons, had negative yardage after his last season, and was out of the league before he was even 35.  

Honestly, his career was terrible.  

Reggie wasn't a bust he was just used enough. When he was on the field he made an impact even when he didn't touch the ball.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2020 at 4:36 AM, Boknows34 said:

I’m not sure many will remember Steelers LB Huey Richardson, the 15th overall pick in the 1991 draft. 

After a rookie season where he looked totally out of place, and recorded two tackles, Richardson was traded by Pittsburgh to Washington for a lowly 7th round pick.

The Redskins released him after only four games, and after finishing the 1992 season with the Jets, Richardson’s NFL career was over.

Don't know why Pittsburgh drafted him. They had Lloyd and Jerrol Williams at the time. They settled for him after their three targets (Alvin Harper, Mike Pritchard, Leonard Russell) were off the board.

On 20/02/2020 at 4:23 AM, RamblinMan99 said:

No, he was definitely a bust compared to the expectations the league had for him.  

Yeah the expectations were high but he was a useful offensive weapon who also had some pretty good years as a lead running back in Miami. He doesn't compare to some of the other disasters mentioned here.

For me it's easily Gholston. How can you have 0 sacks with Rex Ryan for like 2 years. It's madness. Also the belief he was just a workout warrior is a bit misleading, his productiona  at Ohio State was good and he beat no.1 overall pick Jake Long 1-on-1. His physical qualities definitely helped his draft stock but he also had a good time in college. It's a real mystery how he really did nothing. The guy wasn't Mike Mitchell or Bruce Campbell.