Introducing the Mexico City Zapatas

Techbert

• 4 weeks later...

Hola!

The Zaps hold their stocking plan expansion draft.

pos/name/last team/cap hit per signed year/notes

qb Andy Dalton Cin 17,700,000 no dead
qb Josh Rosen Mia 2,079,796  2,879,694 guaranteed

rb Le'Veon Bell NYJ 15,500,000  13,500,000  15,000,000 not really tradable before 2021
rb Rex Burkhead NE 3,906,250 Voided
rb Brandon Bolden NE 1,987,500 Voided

te Jesse James Det 5,279,000  6,429,000  7,179,000

ot Marcus Cannon NE 8,916,666  8,916,668 Voided
og Brian Winters NYJ 7,281,250  no dead

de Brandon Graham Phi 6,324,000  17,928,000
de Breeland Speaks KC 1,663,777  1,941,073
de Johnathan Kongbo SF 510,000  600.000  690,000

dt Star Lotuleilei Buf 8,100,000  9,350,000  9,350,000
dt Tyson Alualu Pit 3,625,000

ilb Benardrick McKinney Hou 7,406,250  8,500,000  10,250,000  10,250,000
ilb Mark Barron Pit 8,125,000 (Cut IRL)
lb Clay Matthews LAR 5,750,000 (Cut IRL)

cb Robert Alford Az 7,500,000  9,000,000
cb Nickell Robey-Coleman LAR 4,500,000 Voided

s Patrick Chung NE 6,058,333  3,733,334 Voided
s Marcus Epps Phi 585,000  675,000  765,000

Edited by Techbert

Overall, I looked for potential trade bait and people who could start a year or two and turn into compensatory picks. I have a number of these.

No one is great. There's a reason the fans that generated the list were ready to give up on all of them.

QB I wanted to be able to draft Burrows #1 or not draft Burrows #1 (spoiler alert: I won't.) Dalton gives me that flexibility. He's a legit starter at an attractive price so I am happy to play him. Or trade him before the season. It was a mistake to leave Rosen available. He is at worst a plus backup and at best a serviceable starter, and he is under control for two more years at a low price for a quarterback good enough to easily make the team. There's a good chance Rosen will wind up my starter and while I don't expect him to be more than a place-holder I also don't think he'll be a disaster. But a roster of Dalton and Rosen is pretty darn solid for an expansion team.

RB Le'Veon would help me sell tix IRL as an expansion team. Contract becomes cutable or tradeable in 21, and easily so in 22. The kind of runner who should do okay behind an expansion team OL, which is basically what the NYJ had last year. Burkhead probably has another year in him, and can do a bit of everything as a backup. Bolden is a special teams ace that can score a TD or two in the red zone.

WR/TE Hated either the talent or the contracts of all the offered wr and te. Took James to solidify that position for a while, and drafted te usually take a year or two to develop fully. Same with wr, but couldn't pull the trigger on any. Always have loved Brandin Cooks, but that contract was a bit too much even for me.

OL Wanted 4 but settled on two. Cannon is a good run blocker at rot and can move inside if you want. Winter is great in the clubhouse and has a dead-free last year of his contract. I think he will rebound. These two will allow me to credibly run the ball, and that is my standard expansion team strategy in the early years.

DE Graham has an awful contract but it won't hurt me. He is a credible starting DE and can be in a rotation if I pick the right people. Speaks is cheap and if he wakes up without a five cent head he still has promise. Kongbo is cheaper.

DT Went with a couple of known quantities. Star is a huge contract but is not going anywhere, either team-wise or if an OL tries to move him. Alualu is a 3-4 end but I think he can work beside someone like Star in a 4-3. The two give me scheme flexibility... if Alualu has another year left.

LB McKinney is a smart mike. I like that. Barron is a fast mike. I like that. Matthews is a ticket-selling mascot, but he's not too expensive and has played inside and out. I still have scheme flexibility with these guys.

DB Alford and Nickell won't embarrass me too much. I think they are both coach-killers if you let them, but they are just holding the fort a year or two and they can do that. Chung is smart and reliable and can run things for a year or two. Epps may make the roster.

Edited by Techbert

• 1 month later...

Draft Day!

I'm going to go to the 32 team league rather than the 33 team league. That means that each of my players has a twin on another team. If I pick a player he is still available for other teams in a twilight-y kind of way. But the bookkeeping is easier. The Kamis will stay a 33 team league, which means if I have Myles Garrett and play the Browns, they don't have Myles Garrett.

Original Picks (all tradable)

1-1
2-33
2-50
3-65
3-82
4-107
4-124
5-147
5-164
6-180
6-197
7-215
7-232
7-255

Jedrick Wills' (ot Ala) agent confirms they have been in contract negotiations with The Zaps with the expectation he would be the selection if the team does not trade out of the pick.

Sources say Techbert has been hanging around Evil Techbert too much and it has clouded his judgment. Techbert has responding by penning a 20,000 word post saying why he wanted Wills.

1 hour ago, bcb1213 said:

I'm so confused.  you expansion drafted a real life free agent with nrc 

Yeah. A list was created by one of us. It was a good list but flawed. A lot of work and consensus was put into it. And some people were released since the list was created. The advantage of using a common list is it is a lot better to have a flaw in a minor player status than having a poster claim a key player for a team in the expansion and get sqawked over it.

The way to think of it is that they would not have been released if they were made available to an expansion. And I am not worried about it since this is primarily a draft exercise and essentially all the expansion picks will be gone in a year or two.