2020 NFL Offseason

GMENNATION

We are about 1 month away from FA opening and the combine comes up in a few weeks so I'm starting a general offseason thread. Teams can start franchising players Feb 25 but that should be a quiet period for us.

With the hiring of Joe Judge and Jason Garrett, that increases the chances we spend on Devin McCourty or Byron Jones, both of which I would be pretty happy with. McCourty is a high-character guy who has obviously won a lot. He's also from the area and could be a great mentor for our young secondary as a guy who has played CB and FS for many years. Byron Jones is a younger, more athletic version of McCourty. He doesn't have as much pedigree yet still will likely be more expensive than McCourty. Joe Judge is going to push versatility and both of these guys have it so I think there is a good chance we end up with one of them.

The stars have really aligned for us to sign a legitimate pass rusher as well. There aren't typically as many big name rushers that hit the open market so we have some options. We HAVE TO come away with one of those top guys. I know it will be painful to have completely wasted a premium draft pick but we have to let Leonard Williams walk. There is no use tying up so much cap space in a run stuffer that pushes the pocket a little bit.

If I'm the Giants I go with McCourty, Yannick Ngakoue and Isaiah Simmons at #4. Immediately makes our defense aggressive and versatile. In this situation I hope to grab on OT with our 2nd pick. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m gonna ruffle some feathers, but I would not sign Leonard Williams given the reports, false or not, about his salary expectations. I’d go all in on Chris Jones if Chiefs don’t sign him.  I’d also look into Jordan Phillips.  

I’d also sign Darqueze Dennard.  Solid slot corner. Won’t break the bank. And we have Grant Haley there. 

I would be heavy in the battle for Byron Jones, Jimmie Ward, Justin Simmons, Anthony Harris FS battle. I expect Simmons to stay in Denver and Jones to be the most expensive. However, a true centerfielder is huge need. Love only played about 75 snaps at FS.  Sean Davis is another name to watch here  

This is a weak edge class, but Clowney and Yannick will be hugely expensive.  I would love Clowney, but don’t think we will be able to afford him. Yannick is terrible against the run, but may be better as a 3-4 OLB (not against the run but as a pass rusher). I’d also look into Mario Addison, Frankie Luvu.

OL I am really conflicted. This is a really solid OL class and we could walk away with several starters. We could use help at 3-4/5 positions. I think Conklin will be too expensive for what he is. However, that didn’t stop us from signing Solder. If Anthony Castanza doesn’t retire and hits the market, I would go all in on him, move Solder to RT, and let him battle it out with Gates and a draft pick. Roderick Johnson and Halapoulivaati Vaitai could be bargain finds at RT. 

Connor McGovern and Ted Karras are two C that interest me.  McGovern can play G in a pinch too.  We cannot keep Pio/Pulley as starters. 

It really feels like Byron Jones is going to be the big money guy for us. I expect to sign some middle tier veterans on defense and then draft OL at #4

I'd rather get an impact defensive guy at #4 but it just doesn't seem to be shaping up that way. A long way to go though

On 2/24/2020 at 9:10 AM, GMENNATION said:

It really feels like Byron Jones is going to be the big money guy for us. I expect to sign some middle tier veterans on defense and then draft OL at #4

I'd rather get an impact defensive guy at #4 but it just doesn't seem to be shaping up that way. A long way to go though

Today Getleman said that they are open for business as far as trading back goes.  I feel like we're going to trade back 3-4 spots and take the best OL available.  

9 hours ago, NYGiantsman10 said:

I wouldn't hate that. As long as we stay in the top 10 we'll be in good shape. 

We’ve gone offense with their top first the last three years and 7 of the last 8 years. Definitely need to go defense and get an impact stud but I unfortunately think OL is most likely. 

13 hours ago, Kodaraw said:

We’ve gone offense with their top first the last three years and 7 of the last 8 years. Definitely need to go defense and get an impact stud but I unfortunately think OL is most likely. 

I dont know, depending on whom we trade with ,, whats to say we dont somehow end up with another 1st rd pick in the lower half of the round? Miami is one team we could do that with. I still see us with Simmons at this point. If its not, and we do go OT.. i want either Andrew Thomas or Tristan Wirfs

12 hours ago, NYGiantsman10 said:

Are you guys following the Combine? Becton just ran a 5.11 at 364 pounds and Wirfs is putting on a show. Becton might be the pick at 4 he's an absolute monster.

Im still sticking to Thomas or Wirfs. Wirfs looks like he belongs in the Worlds Strongest Man competition 

On 2/12/2020 at 10:09 AM, Acgott said:

All the discussion is Yannick will be franchised 

We’ll see how it plays out. I hope the Jaguars find a way to salvage the relationship, but the things I’ve heard behind the scenes is that he wants out and things will get ugly if he can’t get out. And I’ve heard that his #1 preference is to play for the Giants.