2020 NFL Offseason

GMENNATION

7 minutes ago, Gmen19851 said:

I think the fact that they got rid of Shurmur, but not Gettelman and brought in a new coach under him says they're committed to him for the long run.

Also, he's finally buying into the rebuild. No long term deals, all money upfront, no big time money signings, and building through the draft (minus the Leonard Williams trade, which he has botched. Him playing on the tag this year would be the worst result of that trade by far. He either needs to be let go or signed long term). 

We aren't going to be good this year, but we need to be competitive and show improvement. Then, the following year is make or break- DJ's 2nd full year starting, #4 pick with a year under his belt, Saquon in his 4th year.

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

Also, he's finally buying into the rebuild. No long term deals, all money upfront, no big time money signings, and building through the draft (minus the Leonard Williams trade, which he has botched. Him playing on the tag this year would be the worst result of that trade by far. He either needs to be let go or signed long term). 

We aren't going to be good this year, but we need to be competitive and show improvement. Then, the following year is make or break- DJ's 2nd full year starting, #4 pick with a year under his belt, Saquon in his 4th year.

The only benefit to keeping LW on tag and letting him sign elsewhere next year is we *may* get a decent comp pick if we don’t sign a lot of FA. Since we spent lots of money this year, I imagine that to be the case.  Still, was an asinine trade. A lot of good players likely available at our third round spot. 

While First-Pick drafts are fun, they’re totally madden fantasy. I did a fanspeak mock, and while I disagree with a lot of the positional rankings, ended up with this:

4. Tristan Wirfs, OT

36. Xavier McKinney, FS

99. Akeem Davis-Gaither, LB

110. Cesar Ruiz, OC

150. Darrel Taylor, Edge

183. Jonathan Garvin, Edge

218. Kaijia Lipscomb, WR

238. AJ Green, CB

247. Stephen Sullivan, TE

255. Julian Blackmon, S

ADG and Ruiz likely don’t make it past 2nd. Taylor and Garvin both have good developmental traits to work with.  I passed on Murray and Queen for McKinney.  He helps shore up the back end. Getting ADG in the third really softened that. He’ll be our athletic cover LB. I would have liked an edge earlier and some additional OL depth, but it just wasn’t there. 

5 minutes ago, Gmen19851 said:

Interested to see what the public opinion on this is.  If the Jags offered number 9 and Ngakoue for number 4, would you guys accept the deal?

As far as trade value, that works out great for us. Unfortunately, we'd still have to pay him a ton of money, which I don't want to do.

1 hour ago, Gmen19851 said:

Interested to see what the public opinion on this is.  If the Jags offered number 9 and Ngakoue for number 4, would you guys accept the deal?

100% would do the trade, but that’s bad value for the Jaguars unless there is a QB they really want.

in regards to the contract, if we can get a fair contract, or a little overpay I have no issue with getting a solid young pass rusher which we desperately need. Contracts for young players become outdated in a few years, and we have the cap space.

No one on our team is going to need a big contract for a few years.

And Happy Birthday Yannick!

21 hours ago, Acgott said:

100% would do the trade, but that’s bad value for the Jaguars unless there is a QB they really want.

in regards to the contract, if we can get a fair contract, or a little overpay I have no issue with getting a solid young pass rusher which we desperately need. Contracts for young players become outdated in a few years, and we have the cap space.

No one on our team is going to need a big contract for a few years.

And Happy Birthday Yannick!

Couldn't agree more.. It's a no-brainer IMO.. Get a bonafide pass rusher and guaranteed one of the top OT. And we can afford to give him a big contract.

5 hours ago, GMENNATION said:

Couldn't agree more.. It's a no-brainer IMO.. Get a bonafide pass rusher and guaranteed one of the top OT. And we can afford to give him a big contract.

Would open up a lot of possibilities for us and would make taking an OT in first the right move. Plus, if we keep our second, we might even be able to get Queen or Murray and have a sideline to sideline coverage ILB, too, or get a true deep safety. 

6 hours ago, minutemancl said:

If he is out after this year, is there anyone who makes more sense to take the job than Nick Caserio?

Makes sense. There's no established relationship there but I'd really like to see Colts Assistant GM Ed Dodds get a look. The Giants GM job is pretty prestigious; it should attract a bunch of really quality candidates. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2020 at 12:05 PM, Kodaraw said:

While First-Pick drafts are fun, they’re totally madden fantasy. I did a fanspeak mock, and while I disagree with a lot of the positional rankings, ended up with this:

4. Tristan Wirfs, OT

36. Xavier McKinney, FS

99. Akeem Davis-Gaither, LB

110. Cesar Ruiz, OC

150. Darrel Taylor, Edge

183. Jonathan Garvin, Edge

218. Kaijia Lipscomb, WR

238. AJ Green, CB

247. Stephen Sullivan, TE

255. Julian Blackmon, S

ADG and Ruiz likely don’t make it past 2nd. Taylor and Garvin both have good developmental traits to work with.  I passed on Murray and Queen for McKinney.  He helps shore up the back end. Getting ADG in the third really softened that. He’ll be our athletic cover LB. I would have liked an edge earlier and some additional OL depth, but it just wasn’t there. 

I couldn't even dream to get a draft like this. While I prefer Wills, Wirfs is fine. 

X-Man in rd 2?????????? Ruiz in rd 4?????????????????????????????????????? 

Taylor at 150??????? AJ Green at 238?????????????? Blackmon at 255???? 

wow what a draft!!!!!!!!