Myles Garrett Reinstated

HTTRDynasty

7 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Nothing he said should have any bearing in the matter whatsoever.  If you are a person who can be driven to action like that just by hearing a knucklehead say a single word that you hate, you have no business being out and about in civilized society.  You are an animal and need to be locked up to protect said society.

He also should have laid down and not protected himself when another player twisted his head into the ground and then tried ripping off his helmet and kicked etc... and then once they were separated came charging at him again? Myles shouldn't have and didn't need a weapon but it happened, he certainly should have been allowed to defend himself and if you wouldn't if it happened to you then I feel bad for you.

It isn't like he premeditated something or shot an opponent. He did something stupid which didn't result in injury and served a lengthy suspension for it.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, ET80 said:
15 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

So, the entire "Myles accused Mason of saying the N word" was via his interview with the NFLPA, Thrash and company. Myles was allegedly told that everything he shared/his side would be kept completely secret, and then that interview was blatantly leaked to the public/never supposed to go beyond the room, for his and Mason's sake.

Ah, OK. I always assumed that was Garrett making that public, not the NFLPA.

Regardless of context, that doesn't begin to justify the actions Myles did.

I would have liked him to start the season on a brief suspension just so he still has it in his head that what he did last year is not acceptable, however now he'll just throw it in the back of his mind and not give a darn most likely. What's more befuddling is the Browns Organization doubling down in supporting Myles through the incident.

24 minutes ago, Danger said:

Regardless of context, that doesn't begin to justify the actions Myles did.

I never said it did. 

25 minutes ago, Danger said:

I would have liked him to start the season on a brief suspension just so he still has it in his head that what he did last year is not acceptable, however now he'll just throw it in the back of his mind and not give a darn most likely.

That's a very big assumption you're making there - Myles' interpretation of a six game suspension. That's a sizable chunk of cash for a guy on a rookie contract.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

I never said it did. 

That's a very big assumption you're making there - Myles' interpretation of a six game suspension. That's a sizable chunk of cash for a guy on a rookie contract.

With all this time between now and then not starting the season suspended, he's just going to move on from it and forget about it. 

As cliche as it sounds, it would have sent more of a message to him and players around the league, that this won't be tolerated. Reminding them all this still isn't ok. I don't have a personal vendetta against Garrett like some people here, but it's just a small difference in how I would have handled it.

6 minutes ago, Danger said:

With all this time between now and then not starting the season suspended, he's just going to move on from it and forget about it. 

Do you really think anyone is going to let him forget about it? It's going to follow him around for his entire career, and will be the leading story for the first Pittsburgh/Cleveland game. If be ever gets into HoF consideration, it'll be the talking point to keep him out, even if he's a model citizen on the field from now on. It was arguably the most talked about incident from last season, by a SIGNIFICANT margin. It's not being forgotten by anyone who has an interest in football.

In short - if Myles forgets it, there will be a small army of Twitter accounts to remind him at every single mention. He doesn't escape this, regardless of what the league rules.

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Do you really think anyone is going to let him forget about it? It's going to follow him around for his entire career, and will be the leading story for the first Pittsburgh/Cleveland game. If be ever gets into HoF consideration, it'll be the talking point to keep him out, even if he's a model citizen on the field from now on. It was arguably the most talked about incident from last season, by a SIGNIFICANT margin. It's not being forgotten by anyone who has an interest in football.

In short - if Myles forgets it, there will be a small army of Twitter accounts to remind him at every single mention. He doesn't escape this, regardless of what the league rules.

It also isn't like Myles or other guys would try it if the suspension wasn't a length that satisfied someone. They all, including Myles prior to and after it happened, know that it isn't acceptable.

1.  Garrett is a star player in his prime.  Unless your talent is fading, the NFL is pretty clear they're going to get stars back onto the field, once the PR firestorm goes away.

2.  The indefinite suspension was clearly a total flaunt of the CBA.   There's no way around it.

Let's be clear, 1 & 2 were not coincidental.   The Shield got to look tough on this, while at the same time likely planning for a 6-game suspension as the most likely outcome.  This also gave Goodell & co. coverage in the *very* unlikely scenario CLE snuck into the playoffs - they didn't want Garrett playing at all this year.  

Honestly, if the league was forced to have put a number on it immediately after this happened, likely it would have been 8+ games - to ensure that Garrett had no chance of returning until 2020.    He was always likely to get a worse suspension than anyone before him, given how it went down, and the risk involved on a helmetless player.   But this was always the most likely outcome, barring Garrett creating more trouble post-incident.   Once Garrett stayed out of trouble, the offseason announcement, when the PR firestorm was done, was always the most likely outcome. 

It's a totally broken process, but that's on the NFLPA for agreeing to it, too.   

Edited by Broncofan

16 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I guess "forget about it" isn't a good phrasing.

More accurately. I don't think he'll take it seriously, just scoff at it behind the scenes and think he really didn't do anything all that bad.

7 minutes ago, Danger said:

I guess "forget about it" isn't a good phrasing.

More accurately. I don't think he'll take it seriously, just scoff at it behind the scenes and think he really didn't do anything all that bad.

I think it still remains - this is the legacy of his career to this point, it's going to be how we remember him to this point. If he's not concerned about this issue, then he's not concerned about his legacy (which is totally a possibility, mind you).

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I think it still remains - this is the legacy of his career to this point, it's going to be how we remember him to this point. If he's not concerned about this issue, then he's not concerned about his legacy (which is totally a possibility, mind you).

So long as both he and the league know he act on the premise of him having a zero tolerance policy moving forward. Then that's good enough.