UPDATE - Todd Gurley released

RamRod

6 minutes ago, RamRod said:

Just wanted to make a thread for this. I know it's already been discussed plenty already but I think it warrants it's own thread.

I know there's been reports about a potential trade.

Prepare for an onslaught for even mentioning this lmao didnt go well for me. 

3 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Prepare for an onslaught for even mentioning this lmao didnt go well for me. 

I just wish people would start up threads more often. Seems like most discussions always go in the general thread. I guess when I made that thread my intentions were for it to be about smaller news and things.

1 minute ago, RamRod said:

I just wish people would start up threads more often. Seems like most discussions always go in the general thread. I guess when I made that thread my intentions were for it to be about smaller news and things.

I think it's just cause of the offseason. Not alot of substantial topics so its easy to just lump it all together in General.

But this SHOULD have its own thread considering the magnitude and reports of a discussion to be had between Gurley/McVay/Goff even if it doesn't materialize into anything. My guess is that they want to sit Gurley down and explain next season it will be a split carry situation between him and Henderson even though they acknowledge the line was sub par last year. Get him on board early to control the narrative for next season. It's better this way then having him show up to camp and dump it on him for him to then turn to reporters and act surprised. 

Analyze the financials of trading or cutting him. When it’s done also matters. Then let me know if taking that cap hit makes sense financially. You also have to then spend more cap to replace him or draft capital which then can’t be spent on areas of obvious need.

@BStanRamFan I really wish that you would realize I’m not attacking you at all. It’s all about the topic. The idea to me of trading him is a terrible one. I’ve explained why many many times and laid out the numbers and you play this game of being a victim. Look at the salary cap implications and try to make an argument on why we should move him.

I’ll throw out another reason why we shouldn’t. The 2016 season. 
278 carries 885 yards 6 TD and 3.2 ypc

2019?
223 carries 857 yards 12 TD and 3.8 ypc

The year before he was offensive player of the year was worse than this past season. The common denominator? A bad OLine filled with injuries. People wanted him gone after 2016. He wasn’t good was a waste of a pick after all you should never pick a RB in the first especially one coming of an injury. Sound familiar? Just add in a bad extension and it’s like a bunch of parrots just entered the room. Now I don’t know if he’ll return to 2017 form. But the idea of taking a huge cap hit to move this guy is as much as I hate the word it’s stupid. We have to fix the OLine regardless of who our RB is. Fix the OLine! It affected Goff and Gurley and it shows in McVay’s play calling that he didn’t trust the OLine. 

imho Gurley and Cooks will be Rams for 2020 they just can’t responsibly run this team by taking the cap hits to move on from those contracts. If you want to stop being a victim and pay attention to what I’m saying about the cap I’d love to have this conversation. Otherwise have a nice day.

efit: Exit interviews happen with every player and coach every season in every sport. Not sure why this is news.

Edited by NVRamsFan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RamRod said:

I know it's already been discussed plenty already but I think it warrants it's own thread.

Yea no offense @RamRod but there was a reason that this convo stuck in the General thread. Its just dead time click bait fodder.

Anyone who actually looks at the Financials and even thinks about what it would take to make this move for just one second, realizes that its just not feasible in our current cap situation. And the report of the "meeting" was so bogus, they happen every year.

There just isnt anything to actually talk about here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

@BStanRamFan I really wish that you would realize I’m not attacking you at all. It’s all about the topic. The idea to me of trading him is a terrible one. I’ve explained why many many times and laid out the numbers and you play this game of being a victim. Look at the salary cap implications and try to make an argument on why we should move him.

I’ll throw out another reason why we shouldn’t. The 2016 season. 
278 carries 885 yards 6 TD and 3.2 ypc

2019?
223 carries 857 yards 12 TD and 3.8 ypc

The year before he was offensive player of the year was worse than this past season. The common denominator? A bad OLine filled with injuries. People wanted him gone after 2016. He wasn’t good was a waste of a pick after all you should never pick a RB in the first especially one coming of an injury. Sound familiar? Just add in a bad extension and it’s like a bunch of parrots just entered the room. Now I don’t know if he’ll return to 2017 form. But the idea of taking a huge cap hit to move this guy is as much as I hate the word it’s stupid. We have to fix the OLine regardless of who our RB is. Fix the OLine! It affected Goff and Gurley and it shows in McVay’s play calling that he didn’t trust the OLine. 

imho Gurley and Cooks will be Rams for 2020 they just can’t responsibly run this team by taking the cap hits to move on from those contracts. If you want to stop being a victim and pay attention to what I’m saying about the cap I’d love to have this conversation. Otherwise have a nice day.

efit: Exit interviews happen with every player and coach every season in every sport. Not sure why this is news.

The stats highlighted above are missing some additional information. In between that 2016 season and 2019 season were 658 touches (combine rushes and receptions) from 2017+2018. It is also leaving out the minimal success Gurley had in late 2018 behind what you would deem an "above average" offensive line that CJ Anderson was able to take full advantage of. 

Certain things are not mutually exclusive. For instance, it's perfectly reasonable to say "Fix the OLine" and "Gurley has lost a step". Both things can be true and I would agree that both are.

I would say and have said in my original post on Gen Thread that Gurley is likely to be a Ram next year and a trade would not be likely given the financial and time constrained hurdles along with lack of draft capital. BUT I believe Snead will explore the possibility nonetheless. That is what I believe I was shot down on by other posters including yourself. Snead is a mover and shaker, he is a trade connoisseur. And just because some people on this forum do not see a feasible way to trade Gurley does not mean one doesn't exist and does not mean Snead cannot get one done. I have full faith in our GM to do whats best for the franchise both short and long term.

**No one is a victim here. Just tired of the moral superiority some take on this forum over others and poking fun at it. No one on footballs future with their regular 9-5 should be a condescending ****** to another. Especially one that thought the O-Line was going to be fine going into the 2019 season ;) 

***Exit interviews are not done well into February. They are done within a week or two after the season wraps before players leave the facility on a more permanent basis. 

Edited by BStanRamFan

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

***Exit interviews are not done well into February. They are done within a week or two after the season wraps before players leave the facility on a more permanent basis. 

They had meetings with him last year throughout the offseaon on how to plan his rehab and how they would handle his workload. This isnt something new

• Like 1

Financial details aside, I think it just makes sense to keep him. He’s going to be more valuable to us than any kind of return we might get. He’s talented enough to be able to bounce back big time. Yes, I understand the odds of that are decreasing the further along we go, but if he were to go off next year (which there IS still a CHANCE of) for another team, we’re not going to care about the late round draft pick that we’d get for him—because that’s all we’d be getting in return for him at this point in time—if we’d even be able to get that much 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

It makes no sense to trade him. Keep him for another year. Maybe he has something to prove and he bounces back. 

He wants the carries then give it to him and let’s see what happens. People tend to forget that we are at our best when Gurley is running 

100% agree. I wouldn't even consider moving him now as we can just give him a full workload this year and see how he does. If he succeeds, great. If he fails, it'll be easier to move on from him next offseason.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 9:09 AM, BStanRamFan said:

Especially one that thought the O-Line was going to be fine going into the 2019 season ;) 

There's so much wrong with everything you said I'll just address this. That was never said. What was said by myself and others was that McVay and Kromer had a plan and they've earned the right to get the benefit of the doubt from us as fans. They were rolling the dice with young guys and Boom out of position but to write off the season before it even started showed a lack of faith in them. Injuries and bad play from Allen, as well as Blythe at Guard and Havenstien at RT made the OLine the weak spot of the 2020 team. 

So if you want to go on linking articles from people who don't pay attention to the cap ramifications of trading Gurley or Cooks you go right on ahead with it because I'm done explaining why it's idiotic and our GM likely isn't that stupid. He's usually a guy adding picks and freeing up cap space this time of year not wasting both. 

6 hours ago, Rrrrrrrams said:

yeah, snead put a pick on talib to get rid of him, so much for that theory.

trading cooks makes zero sense. this is a non starter.

trading gurley is obviously an option, if guys like mike silver ian rap and espn are talking about it.

He put a pick on Talib to save $8M. Attaching a pick to Gurley doesn't save money. That's the difference.

• Like 4