UPDATE - Todd Gurley released

RamRod

No roster hole. Henderson was known by most to be the second best back in last years draft class. People thought of him as a poor man's Kamara. We saw glimpses of what Henderson can do with the ball in his hands. I think Gurley is a big name and we know what he did and thats why the assumption is it creates a hole but now we get to see Henderson have his break out season and stabilize the Rams backfield. I will say though that its tough to see my guy Gurley not a Ram anymore. I just think the Rams truly knew he wasnt the Gurley we knew and loved so whats the point of keeping him and paying him all that money? Henderson moving forward will help the Rams rushing attack get back to being where it needs to be. Its not like the Rams have scrubs. Plus the Rams have the genius himself in McVay so we are in great hands. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Car_Ramrod said:

Gurley officially cut. Wow. Saves money but, we haven’t had much success drafting RBs lately.

Saves future money,  We actually eat more of a cap-charge for 2020 than we would have just carrying him.

This tells me there's something else coming on the horizon.  Probably the Ramsey extension coming imminently (could be to get it done now before pass-rushers like Clowney and Yannick have the chance to reset the market again), but I've learned to never be surprised by Lester.  He may have another "out there" move bubbling below the surface.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

No roster hole. Henderson was known by most to be the second best back in last years draft class. People thought of him as a poor man's Kamara. We saw glimpses of what Henderson can do with the ball in his hands. I think Gurley is a big name and we know what he did and thats why the assumption is it creates a hole but now we get to see Henderson have his break out season and stabilize the Rams backfield. I will say though that its tough to see my guy Gurley not a Ram anymore. I just think the Rams truly knew he wasnt the Gurley we knew and loved so whats the point of keeping him and paying him all that money? Henderson moving forward will help the Rams rushing attack get back to being where it needs to be. Its not like the Rams have scrubs. Plus the Rams have the genius himself in McVay so we are in great hands. 

They better be bringing someone in to compete with Henderson. Don’t trust that guy as our leading back....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Not really a hole on the roster when an UDFA could come in and do what Gurley did last year. 

How strong of a laughing at your comment emoji would you like. Just stop the man had 14 touchdowns last year and still put up decent rushing numbers behind a bad OLine. Just stop with that nonsense. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, holt_bruce81 said:

They better be bringing someone in to compete with Henderson. Don’t trust that guy as our leading back....

The Rams traded up in the draft to get Henderson for a reason. Similar situation to the Saints trading up in the draft to get Kamara. At the time my friend was shocked the Saints traded up to get Kamara especially since they already signed AP and had Ingram. Not to mention Kamara didnt spark any confidence in how he played in Tennessee that had him fall in the draft. Once Kamara got his full opportunity after the Saints got rid of AP we saw why the Saints did what they did. It even allowed the Saints to let Ingram walk. Now they did bring in Murray to go with Kamara but I do think the Rams will be fine with Brown and Henderson. 

2 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

How strong of a laughing at your comment emoji would you like. Just stop the man had 14 touchdowns last year and still put up decent rushing numbers behind a bad OLine. Just stop with that nonsense. 

Dude, he didn't play very well. He sucked as a receiver and was pretty mediocre as a runner. I was hoping he'd bounce back with better blocking. I'm not sure what to make of this.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Rushing TDs don’t mean much to me unless we’re talking fantasy football here. They are very much situational-based. 

And hey I’m not trying to downplay what Gurley meant to the Franchise. He was a beast for the Rams and I loved watching him. Sad to see him go. But he wasn’t good last year and the knees are a major concern going forward. 

Edited by holt_bruce81
  • Like 2

I'm just so disappointed in the Rams today. I just don't understand releasing Gurley. Especially releasing Clay after we have already lost 5 Defensive Starters with only 2 real replacements. Clay was balling for us, before injury he was on pace for like 12 sacks, just don't understand what we are doing 

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Dude, he didn't play very well. He sucked as a receiver and was pretty mediocre as a runner. I was hoping he'd bounce back with better blocking. I'm not sure what to make of this.

At the VERY LEAST he was no longer good/effective enough in the role they had carved out for him for last season

Now was that a large enough role? Id say no, especially if they were looking at this move on the horizon, they should have run him as much as possible.

I dont like it, I see the financials for the future though. $10m+ is nothing to scoff at, especially when it was real money, not just when a previously paid signing bonus will be hitting the Cap.

As I continue to look deeper, many of us are overlooking the Real Dollars being paid out and when. We've mostly got the Cap Math down, but more and more with these Roster Bonuses, the real time dollars are becoming bigger factors

1 minute ago, RamsFan24 said:

I'm just so disappointed in the Rams today. I just don't understand releasing Gurley. Especially releasing Clay after we have already lost 5 Defensive Starters with only 2 real replacements. Clay was balling for us, before injury he was on pace for like 12 sacks, just don't understand what we are doing 

What Clay Mathews were you wtching? He was average at best. He was the most obvious cut after Weddle this offseason, NRC was more surprising than that

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

What Clay Mathews were you wtching? He was average at best. He was the most obvious cut after Weddle this offseason, NRC was more surprising than that

Clay was almost averaging a sack a game before the jar injury. He was constantly in the backfield applying pressure Meeting Fowler and AD at the Quarterback. I'm extremely lost with 8 sacks in 13 games being average. He was a nice surprise in my book.

• Like 1