Jump to content
Uncle Buck

Will Mike Zimmer be back in 2021?

Will Mike Zimmer be back after the 2020 season?  

33 members have voted

  1. 1. Will Mike Zimmer be back after the 2020 season?



Recommended Posts

I just wanted to make a poll and see what Vikings fans think will happen with our head coach after next season.  The poll isn't about whether or not you think he SHOULD be back, just whether or not he WILL be back.  What do you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been a big fan of Coach Zimmer since he got here, but lately, I've been starting to think that his system isn't going to get us to the promised land and that it may be coming to an end.  It's too bad because if he had better luck with his quarterbacks, he might have been able to make it work.  Had Teddy not suffered his catastrophic knee injury, we could have gone all the way in 2017.  Ultimately, being put into the position where he had to pay Cousins such a huge contract was probably his undoing.  Maybe he will figure out how to reverse the trend, but I'm really starting to think we are at the end of the road.  :(

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I've been a big fan of Coach Zimmer since he got here, but lately, I've been starting to think that his system isn't going to get us to the promised land and that it may be coming to an end.  It's too bad because if he had better luck with his quarterbacks, he might have been able to make it work.  Had Teddy not suffered his catastrophic knee injury, we could have gone all the way in 2017.  Ultimately, being put into the position where he had to pay Cousins such a huge contract was probably his undoing.  Maybe he will figure out how to reverse the trend, but I'm really starting to think we are at the end of the road.  :(

 

That is my feeling as well, they need to have a standout draft class in 2020 to get back on track. 2019 was a solid class, need more in 2020 though.

Roster management was derailed burning first round picks on Sam Bradford, Laquon Treadwell and Mike Hughes. Maybe Hughes figures it out in year 3 with a chance so I don’t want to be too harsh on him yet. The point being, unless you’re talking about developing a QB, you absolutely need your first round picks to be big time contributors as your roster ages and becomes more expensive and you’re looking at three drafts in a row where that top draft asset hasn’t led to a good return.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I've been a big fan of Coach Zimmer since he got here, but lately, I've been starting to think that his system isn't going to get us to the promised land and that it may be coming to an end.  It's too bad because if he had better luck with his quarterbacks, he might have been able to make it work.  Had Teddy not suffered his catastrophic knee injury, we could have gone all the way in 2017.  Ultimately, being put into the position where he had to pay Cousins such a huge contract was probably his undoing.  Maybe he will figure out how to reverse the trend, but I'm really starting to think we are at the end of the road.  :(

 

It took Andy Reid, what, 17 years to win one?

He'll be back and won't leave until he retires.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

It took Andy Reid, what, 17 years to win one?

He'll be back and won't leave until he retires.

Reid is also 2 years younger than Zimmer, which is odd to think about because it feels like Reid has been a HC forever. Zimmer doesn’t have as much time to figure it out, unless he’s coahing into his late 60s. If the Vikes need to rebuild and start new with a rookie QB in the next couple of years, I don’t think Zimmer is the right man for the job. It took Reid leaving Philly and getting a bunch of luck in his favor in landing Mahomes to get that SB win.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd actually be somewhat surprised if he wasn't back.  I will state that, on the whole, he's been more successful in his first 6 years than Denny was and Denny was still there for another 4 years.  I think there definitely needs to be some re-tooling of the players, but I don't think it's fair to get rid of a pretty successful coach just because some of his defensive players got old. 

I don't believe the system is the problem, I think the offensive line (along with the QB situation) has simply been the main problem.  I think they've at least solidified the QB situation, even if not completely solved, and we'll have to see about the offensive line.  I have no such concerns with the defense, even if some of the talent is being overhauled.  I have faith that the defense will be fine...and that's a credit to Zimmer, not a failure of the system.  As I've often said, having a good defense keeps you competitive, because it keeps you in games.  If you have a bad defense, unless you have a superstar offense, it's awfully hard to be competitive and win games consistently. 

I think the Chiefs are actually a perfect example...it was only until their defense became competent later in the season did they truly become a threat to win the title (and it helps that they didn't have to face the Ravens or Patriots).  But, if their defense falls off next year and goes back to what they were in 2018 without Chris Jones, I don't think they'll be there at the end. 

With the Vikings' defense under Zimmer, they'll always be in the mix.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he'll be back.  Unfortunately, I think the Vikings will be on a perpetual Ground Hog Day loop.  Having a decent year, make the playoffs but not go very far one year, only to be followed up be the next year missing the playoffs and maybe being less than .500.  In the "good years" the Vikings will always be one or two players away from a championship contender.  In the bad years, the Vikings will have addressed those one or two players, only to have a critical failure in another area.  I feel like we fans have been in this loop since about 1980!  I swear, I'm hearing Sonny and Cher singing "I Got You Babe" right now!!!!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted no, but I could have just as easily flipped a coin to answer.

Like VV, I think as long as he's here, they'll be just good enough not to fire him, but never a REAL THREAT to win the SB.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Wilfs are loyal.  The recent problems with The Vikings were caused by some bad luck (Bridgewater), causing need to give up a 1st Rounder for Bradford, AND to need to overspend salary on Cousins, and having little cap space left over to address holes in the lineup due to players in several lineup areas aging.  In addition, there were several reasonably high round draft choices that didn't work out.  Many of the overall problems are more due to Spielman's, or  Spielman's AND Zimmer's failures, taken together, than to Zimmer alone.  Unless BOTH will be fired, I'd expect Zimmer to stay.  The Wilfs firing BOTH seems fairly unlikely, based on how they've behaved, so far.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that Zimmer's tenure with the Vikings is tied to the amount of time Rick Spielman is the GM. Depending on the timing of Spielman's departure, which I very much look forward to, it is possible that Zimmer gets a year with the new GM to try and convince the new GM that Zimmer is the coach he wants.

It is unfortunately looking more likely that Spielman will be the Vikings GM through the 2020 season. Given that, my interest this offseason is greatly diminished. However, that does increase the chances we'll have Zimmer next season too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I think that Zimmer's tenure with the Vikings is tied to the amount of time Rick Spielman is the GM. Depending on the timing of Spielman's departure, which I very much look forward to, it is possible that Zimmer gets a year with the new GM to try and convince the new GM that Zimmer is the coach he wants.

It is unfortunately looking more likely that Spielman will be the Vikings GM through the 2020 season. Given that, my interest this offseason is greatly diminished. However, that does increase the chances we'll have Zimmer next season too.

I'm not sure when you ever would have possibly thought that they weren't going to return this season.  If they weren't, they would have been fired a day after their season ended.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
1
4 hours ago, Robb_K said:

The Wilfs are loyal.  The recent problems with The Vikings were caused by some bad luck (Bridgewater), causing need to give up a 1st Rounder for Bradford, AND to need to overspend salary on Cousins, and having little cap space left over to address holes in the lineup due to players in several lineup areas aging.  In addition, there were several reasonably high round draft choices that didn't work out.  Many of the overall problems are more due to Spielman's, or  Spielman's AND Zimmer's failures, taken together, than to Zimmer alone.  Unless BOTH will be fired, I'd expect Zimmer to stay.  The Wilfs firing BOTH seems fairly unlikely, based on how they've behaved, so far.

I agree Robb!  I don't think there is another coach in the league who has had worse luck with the most important position on the field.  This is even tougher when you are a defensive-minded coach like Zim.  We still haven't gotten the problem solved, but under the circumstances, I think the Vikings have done about as well as they could have done keeping the spot filled.  It would sure be nice if we could find a way to get a true franchise quarterback one of these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

It depends how the team does. A boring 8-8 might get him axed.

Possibly. I don’t see this team doing worse than 10-6, but could see a 12-4 season. IMO, Zimmer is safe and will be here in 2021 and beyond. Like others have mentioned, I think Zim is done when he decides to retire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...