Will Mike Zimmer be back in 2021?

Uncle Buck

Will Mike Zimmer be back after the 2020 season?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Will Mike Zimmer be back after the 2020 season?

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

That ain't gonna happen.  At worst, I see an 8-win season.  I look at our competition in the division and they haven't really gotten better either.  I have faith in the coaching staff that, while that can't turn water into wine, they can certainly turn it into pretty damn good beer.  

Maybe.

No one in the NFC North has so far really improved in the off season.  The Packers have not gained any talent, and probably less talent on the offensive side of the ball.  The efforts to turn the Lions into the Patriots continue...but, they are still the Lions coached by Patricia, not Belichek.  Who knows what the heck is going on in Chicago.  The Vikings have not improved either.  The winner of the division may only need to win 9 games!  So, the Vikings are probably in the running under that kind of scenario. Yet, after winning double digit games in 2019, with a thrilling win over New Orleans in the Wild Card round, Viking fans might've expected more this offseason...and a lot can still happen.  But, if the season began and started today, March 19, 2020, the Vikings only win 8 games, the Packers win 9.

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I think we’re good enough at home to put together 4-6 wins from those games alone. Throw in a couple road wins, I think we’re looking 7-9 wins barring an unbelievable draft class.

My thoughts exactly. 8-9 wins, unless the draft class is epic.

On 2/13/2020 at 11:27 AM, TENINCH said:

Sure would like to see what he could do with a Patrick Mahomes type player. Few and far between but now Andy Reid is regarded as some great coach when he's had Franchise QB's nearly his entire coaching career. Zimmer has been shafted on QB's since he got here outside of getting Cousins.

And he will continue to be "shafted" as long as Spielman is the guy in charge of attaining the QBs.  

8 minutes ago, Hyperborean said:

And he will continue to be "shafted" as long as Spielman is the guy in charge of attaining the QBs.  

I don't believe that's a fair criticism, considering sans a devastating injury we might have still had Teddy, who's now going to be starting in Carolina.  You can't really blame Spielman for not retaining him, although I still wish he would have instead of signing Kirk.  It's a tough pill to swallow to bet your job on a guy who still hadn't fully recovered.

• Like 1

I just look at the fact that Zimmer went 7-9 with a team that had a rookie QB in Teddy, no Adrian Peterson, Greg Jennings, Charles Johnson and Jarius Wright at WR and only 3 defensive starters over the age of 27.  If he can make that work, I 100% think he can make this work.  Ye of little faith.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

Unless this team completely flops next year Zimmer will deservedly be back

Barring a draft that sees poor returns from the 1st day picks, the Vikings will be back in the playoffs IMO. I don't know if we'll be so successful come the playoffs, but the hope is to improved enough to be in the Super Bowl in 2021. 

Re-signing Cousins was a good move. He earned my respect last season and a few more years heading the offense seems right. Re-sign Cook obviously. 

The secondary is the biggest concern right now. I like Mike Hughes, but he was completely destroyed by Amari Cooper last year. I don't want him lining up to face him ever again.

https://zonecoverage.com/2019/minnesota-vikings-news/second-look-revisiting-mike-hughes-performance-vs-dallas/

Edited by babababa
  • Like 2

On 3/19/2020 at 10:16 PM, Uncle Buck said:

What would you have done during his tenure that he didn't do?

I wouldn't have drafted Ponder.  Not in the first anyway.  I really can't fault him for Teddy or Cousins honestly.  We didn't have much of an option.  But I definitely wouldn't have extended Cousins.  He's had his chance and it's fairly obvious he's not a championship QB.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2020 at 3:36 PM, swede700 said:

I don't believe that's a fair criticism, considering sans a devastating injury we might have still had Teddy, who's now going to be starting in Carolina.  You can't really blame Spielman for not retaining him, although I still wish he would have instead of signing Kirk.  It's a tough pill to swallow to bet your job on a guy who still hadn't fully recovered.

I guess that's true.  I just think Spielman has been snakebitten on drafting QBs and isn't going to do it again.  It certainly won't happen this season after the Cousins extension.  I'm through with Cousins and wish the Vikings were too.

On 3/19/2020 at 3:44 PM, swede700 said:

I just look at the fact that Zimmer went 7-9 with a team that had a rookie QB in Teddy, no Adrian Peterson, Greg Jennings, Charles Johnson and Jarius Wright at WR and only 3 defensive starters over the age of 27.  If he can make that work, I 100% think he can make this work.  Ye of little faith.

Guilty as charged.  I'll believe it when I see it.

33 minutes ago, Hyperborean said:

I wouldn't have drafted Ponder.  Not in the first anyway.  I really can't fault him for Teddy or Cousins honestly.  We didn't have much of an option.  But I definitely wouldn't have extended Cousins.  He's had his chance and it's fairly obvious he's not a championship QB.

In fairness to Spielman, the Ponder pick was when the triangle of authority was still in command, so I can't put that one all on him. I do agree on Cousins, though.

4 hours ago, Hyperborean said:

While I do tend to agree with you, he doesn't have a ton of options that are a whole lot better.  Kirk had a decent season, and there may or may not be a QB available in the draft that can do a whole lot better.  Burrow and Tua will more than likely be gone, and the others after that are a total crapshoot.  In this situation, sticking with Kirk is likely the higher percentage choice, even though I also doubt that he has what it takes to win a Super Bowl.

SB is out of the question in 2020-21. If they decide to take a WR is the 1st round (to replace Diggs), then forget about 2021-22 as well.

We just saw what two all pro WRs can give this offense (with Cousins). Don't expect anything different, even if we luck out and draft another rookie all pro WR.

The trenches must be drafted highly, and luck into stud talent there, which bumps multiple positions on the respective side. I want guys that play the highest % of snaps (that fit the roster), which outside of QB, is likely OL, 3T, Edge & CB. That's where the top 3 picks should go IMO

Edited by CriminalMind
  • Like 4