Will Mike Zimmer be back in 2021?

Uncle Buck

Will Mike Zimmer be back after the 2020 season?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Will Mike Zimmer be back after the 2020 season?

• 1 month later...

This Sunday Mike Zimmer will coach his 100th game as the Vikings Head Coach. Only two other coaches have reached that milestone for the Purple, Bud and Denny.

Zimmer currently has a record of 57-41-1 (.581) with a 2-3 record in the playoffs.

3rd in wins, 3rd in games coached, and 3rd in winning percentage amongst Vikings HC's.

16 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

It would be nice to see Zimmer turn this season around, but even if he does, how much longer do we expect him to coach? He's up there in age, and while I think he'll be safe if this season is a disaster I'm curious to see what his long term future holds.

He's the 4th oldest currently.

NFL's 11 oldest coaches

1. Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, 69 (Turns 70 on Sept. 15, 2021)
2. Patriots coach Bill Belichick, 68 (Turns 69 on April 16, 2021)
3. Cardinals Bruce Arians, 67 (Turns 68 on Oct. 3, 2020)
4. Vikings coach Mike Zimmer, 64 (Turns 65 on June 5, 2021)
5. Chiefs coach Andy Reid, 62 (Turns 63 on March 19, 2021)
6. Broncos coach Vic Fangio, 62 (Turns 63 on August 22, 2021)
7. Washington coach Ron Rivera, 58 (Turns 59 on January 7, 2021)
8. Ravens coach John Harbaugh, 57 (Turns 58 on September 23, 2020)
9. Raiders Jon Gruden, 57 (Turns 58 on August 17, 2021)
10. Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy, 56 (Turns 57 on November 10, 2020)
11. Saints coach Sean Payton, 56 (Turns 57 on Dec. 29, 2020)

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfls-oldest-coach-just-turned-69-and-hell-be-setting-a-record-with-bill-belichick-this-week/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's time to revive this thread. I'm actually fairly certain the Vikings will fire Mike Zimmer either today or after the Packers game, if they fail to win, but let me get my opinion out there first:

After giving up 40 points to the Falcons the Vikings now have the 31st ranked scoring defense, giving up 32.0 PPG, trailing only the Cowboys (who play tonight on MNF). I love Zimmer and I think he's a great coach, but I tolerated the Vikings hemorrhaging offensive coordinators because the defense has been a top 10 unit in all but Zimmer's first year (in which they were 11th in scoring defense). But I can't defend him when the Vikings are giving up touchdowns to simply uncovered receivers.

Were players going rogue and trying to make plays? Maybe, but that just shows that Zimmer is starting to lose the locker room.

Were players out of position? Probably, but the sign of a great head coach is adapting your scheme to fit your players and Zimmer knew the Vikings would have a lot of young players he unfortunately couldn't ease in.

Did the Vikings come out flat after an emotionally devastating loss on national television? Yes and it is the head coach's job to motivate and prepare their football team for gameday. And in that regard Zimmer got circles coached around him by Raheem Morris, a guy who inherited an 0-5 Falcons team on Monday, hadn't coached

Is Zimmer as bad as this loss seems? No, I already stated I think he's a good head coach. But I've seem him get outcoached by Sean Payton, Doug Pederson and Kyle Shanahan in the playoffs. I've never seen him outcoach Matt LeFleur. And I flat out don't think he's the guy who's gonna finally get Minnesota a Super Bowl win.

• Like 1

Zimmer's future depends largely on how the team responds to him the rest of the year.

• If the team packs it in, Zim will be gone
  • If the team shows signs of life and responds to coaching from this staff, Zim will get a reprieve

Another factor.... how has COVID hit the Wilf's financially - both personal business and Vikings business?

If they got hit hard, Zimmer is more likely to stay because they won't want to have to pay his (and Spielman's) salaries; if they are in a good spot financially, there's a better chance they pull the trigger on a move should the team continue to be this pitiful.

There is no reason to keep Zimmer past today. It isn't just about Zimmer, it's about the ownership telling the team that they won't accept the effort and suckage that they've displayed so far, and that the ownership wants to win. Let Malouf or Patterson finish out the year as Head Coach. 

They can't just let it ride to a 2-14 or 1-15 season and expect people to continue tuning in, or to want to come back next year. Fire Zimmer and maybe even Spielman now, and use the rest of the season to get a head start on locating a new Coach and maybe a new GM.

The only reason to fire a coach midseason is if you think you can save the season or possibly if you think the coach has checked out already.  There's something irrational about the "failure is not acceptable" mindset that I don't find to be particularly helpful.

Those of you thinking Zimmer is going to be fired are grasping at straws.  There's been absolutely no indication or reason to dismiss Zimmer now.  Everyone and their mother on this site knew, going into the season, that it could go one of 2 ways, considering how young the roster was, especially on the defensive side of the ball.  I was hopefully optimistic that Zimmer would have the defense up to speed.  But, due to injuries and the lack of an offseason, that hasn't happened, so the team has suffered as a whole.  I think if a decision to fire Zimmer happens, it'll happen during the offseason, not now.

• Like 1