Will Mike Zimmer be back in 2021?

Uncle Buck

Will Mike Zimmer be back after the 2020 season?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Will Mike Zimmer be back after the 2020 season?

56 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Of course you can. CB is a premium position. 

QB, OT, Pass rusher, and CB should really be all you use a 1st rounder on. 

I agree with your assessment of premium positions. I’d even throw Safety in there as well if you’re can land a special player. A Safety like Smith can be a game changer for a defense. But I get why the position is often ignored as a premium position, it’s easy to find plug and play types that can develop into mediocre to good players like Sendejo and Harris.

3 hours ago, dc_vikingfan said:

With so many teams struggling, roster turnover on defense, no preseason/COVID, and new contract. I'm accepting the fact of the Wilfs will keep the Rick/Zim for at least one more year. 

Unless the team quits on him the rest of the season. I just hope Rick says no if Zim wants another 1st rd CB. you can't keep spending your premium picks on one position.  

Under Zimmer:

2014: Barr (LB) Bridgewater (QB)
2015: Trae Waynes (CB)
2016: Laquon Treadwell (WR)
2017: No First, first selection Dalvin Cook (RB)
2018: Mike Hughes (CB)
2019: Garrett Bradbury (C)
2020: Justin Jefferson (WR) Jeff Gladney (CB)

I don't see that as "keep spending premium picks" on CB.

In addition - the defense 3 or more CBs on the field most of the time. That's a position that requires a lot of bodies, and as mentioned, is a premium position. 

Edited by JDBrocks

You need 11 players to fill 11 positions on offense.  You need another 11 players to fill 11 positions on defense.  If they aren't ALL premium positions, then why aren't there more two way players in the league.  Sure would save a lot of money if your non-premium running back could also be your non-premium safety.  Or your non-premium tight end could also be your non-premium middle linebacker.  Maybe WR2 should also be the nickle back on defense.  While we're at it, quarterbacks should learn to be place kickers AND punters!  

I'm trying to make the point...ALL positions in football are premium positions.  Just because the rise of analytics in football is the new "in thing" doesn't mean it's changed a damn thing about the game.  You think you might have hit a nerve????

4 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

You need 11 players to fill 11 positions on offense.  You need another 11 players to fill 11 positions on defense.  If they aren't ALL premium positions, then why aren't there more two way players in the league.  Sure would save a lot of money if your non-premium running back could also be your non-premium safety.  Or your non-premium tight end could also be your non-premium middle linebacker.  Maybe WR2 should also be the nickle back on defense.  While we're at it, quarterbacks should learn to be place kickers AND punters!  

I'm trying to make the point...ALL positions in football are premium positions.  Just because the rise of analytics in football is the new "in thing" doesn't mean it's changed a damn thing about the game.  You think you might have hit a nerve????

This is simply not true. If you don’t think the game has changed you are being willfully ignorant. Some positions are more valuable than others. I’m sorry if that upsets you.

8 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Of course you can. CB is a premium position. 

QB, OT, Pass rusher, and CB should really be all you use a 1st rounder on. 

I understand CB is premium position but you can't going into the well at one position with your premium picks. 

Other premium positions according to your list hasn't been drafted in the 1st round by this team since Teddy(14).  

4 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Under Zimmer:

In addition - the defense 3 or more CBs on the field most of the time. That's a position that requires a lot of bodies, and as mentioned, is a premium position. 

Once again I'm not saying CB is not important or a premium position.  However, if I'm Rick the answer should be no if Zim wants another 1st rd CB. Looking at your post under Zimmer half of the Vikings 1st's since 2015 have been CB's.  We had other rounds where the team could've drafted CB especially since Zimmer is a CB guru. Vikings draft DLine line mid-rounds because of Patterson ability to develop why not have that same standard for Zim at CBs? Mid round picks at CB can fill out your depth at CB also

Edited by dc_vikingfan
  • Like 1

I don’t get why Patterson gets so much edit for developing players. What’s he really developed? Hunter and two or three marginal role players? 

Given all of the mid round picks who can’t even be relied on as contributors, I don’t see where Patterson earns the praise he gets. 

8 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Under Zimmer:

Five OL at a time......one OL on that list.

Edited by PrplChilPill
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dc_vikingfan said:

I understand CB is premium position but you can't going into the well at one position with your premium picks. 

Other premium positions according to your list hasn't been drafted in the 1st round by this team since Teddy(14).  

Once again I'm not saying CB is not important or a premium position.  However, if I'm Rick the answer should be no if Zim wants another 1st rd CB. Looking at your post under Zimmer half of the Vikings 1st's since 2015 have been CB's.  We had other rounds where the team could've drafted CB especially since Zimmer is a CB guru. Vikings draft DLine line mid-rounds because of Patterson ability to develop why not have that same standard for Zim at CBs? Mid round picks at CB can fill out your depth at CB also

Exactly!  I would much rather put our first round picks into the defensive line and let our CB guru coach up some second round guys in the secondary.  A great pass rush like San Francisco had last year would make life a lot easier on our CBs and a lot tougher on opposing QBs who are currently able to sit back in the pocket and wait for his receivers to get open.  Great pass rushers almost always trump great CBs, IMO.  When we had Doleman and Millard on our D-line, we were the #1 defense in the league.  I can't even remember who our CBs were during that time.

Edited by Uncle Buck

14 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

Hierarchies exist for a reason.

Teams should do whatever they can to field the best team, but I'm not spending premium resources for a kicker just because he's the #1 ranked K in the country when I have the #3 ranked QB there, which is also a need for my team.

Those analytics haven't changed at all.