Will Mike Zimmer be back in 2021?

Uncle Buck

Will Mike Zimmer be back after the 2020 season?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Will Mike Zimmer be back after the 2020 season?

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

Much like @swede700's response above there was so much turnover and youth expected to step up on the defensive side of the ball that it took some time for things to get figured out. A lot of these decisions were made, if I remember correctly, before we knew there wouldn't be OTA's and things of that nature. I'm fully expecting the Vikings to be a "worst to first" type of team next year. 

I thought from the instant we knew that there weren't going to be any OTAs or in-person instruction that they were going to struggle out of the gate.  Zimmer's coaching style almost demands in-person instruction because he's such a stickler for the details.  If there had been OTAs and such, I have no question that this team would have been much better prepared and probably would have won more of those first 6 games.  I certainly don't think they would have gone 1-5.  They likely would have put up a better fight in both the Packers and Colts games.  

As it looks right now with the potential vaccine schedule, I don't anticipate much in the way of OTAs next year (unless they are allowed to delay them a little bit), but I do think they'll have a full training camp, which will put the team in a much better situation going into the season and the road schedule is a little more favorable (plus they actually get the Sea-Chickens at home for once).  They'll have to travel to Arizona, Baltimore, Cincinnati, San Francisco and likely Tampa Bay again.      

• Like 1

This is the first time I've seen this site (I guess it owns FootballOutsiders), but this is rather interesting in that they rank coaches based on their decision-making...Zimmer comes in 14th.  Needless to say, I imagine that it was heavily dragged down by his Offensive Play-Calling rank, which was 25th.

https://edjsports.com/nfl/coach-rankings/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

This is the first time I've seen this site (I guess it owns FootballOutsiders), but this is rather interesting in that they rank coaches based on their decision-making...Zimmer comes in 14th.  Needless to say, I imagine that it was heavily dragged down by his Offensive Play-Calling rank, which was 25th.

A prime example of analytics taken too far. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, swede700 said:

If the offensive play-calling was 25th and it dragged him down to 14th, he must be extremely high on the defensive side of things. 

Earlier this off-season, I predicted a 6 win season.  We are at 6 wins right now with 4 games to play.  When you consider how many no-names he has had to deal with on defense this year, I think he has earned at least another year to coach.  I also think this team should be very good in 2021.  We will have another off-season for the younger players to build strength and learn their craft, and we should be starting next season with several very good players on defense who we have been missing this season.

Here's a way early prediction for 2021 to follow up on my 2020 prediction from 6 months ago. 

The Vikings will go 12-2 in the 2021 season!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Seriously?  Wow, I hadn't heard that the owners got that through.

They can increase it to 17 as of next season under the new CBA, but it hasn't been verified to actually happen yet.  They likely will, but the details haven't been hammered out yet...and I still think the 17th game should be a neutral site game, which may cause them to hold up until 2022.    

• Like 1