Will Mike Zimmer be back in 2021?

Uncle Buck

Will Mike Zimmer be back after the 2020 season?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Will Mike Zimmer be back after the 2020 season?

All bets are off if the team goes 2-14, but I think Wilf will give Zimmer a chance to run it back 1 more year.

I think Spielman and Zim got extensions before the season with the knowledge that this was a development throw away year. You can’t expect to have a serviceable defense losing 6 starters from last year and replacing them with Yannick and rookies. Next year with Hunter, Pierce, and  Barr back, a year of development, and maybe a top 10 pick this defense will be back to respectability.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

All bets are off if the team goes 2-14, but I think Wilf will give Zimmer a chance to run it back 1 more year.

I think Spielman and Zim got extensions before the season with the knowledge that this was a development throw away year. You can’t expect to have a serviceable defense losing 6 starters from last year and replacing them with Yannick and rookies. Next year with Hunter, Pierce, and  Barr back, a year of development, and maybe a top 10 pick this defense will be back to respectability.

Still doesn’t change the QB situation unless they use a top 10 pick on one. Cousins has arguably been one of he Vikes biggest problem with his constant turnovers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

This was a playoff team a year ago, with expectations of making the playoffs again. They are clearly not a playoff team this year. 

How aren’t they worse?

Because they are missing 8 starters from that team that was on the playoffs a year ago.  We expected them to make a run for the playoffs, but what has happened wasn't out of the realm of possibility.   If anybody didn't think that, then they were fooling themselves.  I certainly expected them to be in contention for the playoffs, but the fear that this would happen was always there...even if I tried to mask it with optimism.

Year One - 7-9 (4th place schedule based on 2013 record)
Year Two - 11-5 (3rd place schedule based on 2014 record)
Year Three - 8-8 (1st place schedule)
Year Four - 13-3 (3rd place schedule)
Year Five - 8-7-1 (1st place schedule)
Year Six - 10-6 (2nd place schedule)
Year Seven - 1-5 (2nd place schedule)

----------

Zimmer's MO, tougher opponents, we do worse over the course of the year.  Softer schedule because of the finish from the previous year, we do better.  This year, our early schedule was stacked with "better" teams with Green Bay, Seattle, and Tennessee - but by not winning all of the "supposed to win" games like yesterday with Atlanta, it's going to be a down year.  This alone is worth moving on from Zimmer for me.  With him, we are likely to have a decent season every other year, largely beat the teams we are supposed to, and bow out in the playoffs.

I guess I shouldn't be terribly shocked given that he worked under Marvin Lewis and that was his MO as well.

26 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Because they are missing 8 starters from that team that was on the playoffs a year ago.  We expected them to make a run for the playoffs, but what has happened wasn't out of the realm of possibility.   If anybody didn't think that, then they were fooling themselves.  I certainly expected them to be in contention for the playoffs, but the fear that this would happen was always there...even if I tried to mask it with optimism.

I was too optimistic and that's apparent now. I thought they'd take a slight step back, but not this hot mess. Yes we're missing key pieces to the defense, but it's apparent that these corners need a lot of work and the D-line isn't helping. There isn't consistent pressure, and rarely is it immediate.  

Zimmer and Cousins (who I can't figure out for the life of me) will have through next year to figure this out IMO. The money hit for cutting Cousins has got to be massive. All the good faith I had in both of these guys is tenuous right now. That said, if they continue to play like they did against Atlanta and lose more games than win going forward I would understand blowing it all up. I would even advocate it if they can't give us a reason to believe that next year will look more like 2019. I'd rather Zimmer and Cousins turn the rest of this season around, otherwise we're looking at a genuine rebuild, and with that this team can forget about the playoffs anytime soon. 

Adapt or die. 

I’m just not seeing it from Zimmer, or Kubiak. I feel like we’re watching coaches who are running what they want the team to do, not necessarily what the team is capable of doing. There are just too many aspects where it appears we are not putting the players in the best position to succeed. We’re not utilizing all of the weapons that they have at their disposal. 

I have always liked Zimmer, and for the most part he’s done a good job. But this team is not heading in the right direction, and given his approach to the game, and what we’ve heard him say on the style/manner of how he wants this team to play, I just don’t see Zimmer being the coach to turn things around. 

Every coach seams to have a shelf life, and Zimmer may have reached his. 

• Like 1

That's a fair way to look at it, but still, in the end, I think nothing will happen right now.  We'll have to wait and see what happens the rest of the year.  If they end up 3-13, then they'll have to cut bait...but I still don't see that happening.  I think we'll know if the players give up on Zimmer...that hasn't happened yet, and that will likely determine the fate of him and Spiels.  

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

That might explain why they are worse, but they are still worse. I guess we'll see next year if all these coaches are worth the money.....I have my doubts. And, in looking at a post above a few spots, three good years, and four bad or mediocre years isn't good enough. Being good every other year isn't good enough. 

• Like 1

I think Zimmer will last through the end of the season.  I WOULD be okay with that IF the team showed any kind of heart and passion.  While I don't like losing, I can stomach it a lot better if I felt there was 100% effort.  However, I would say that this season, with exception of a player here and there, the Vikings have given 75% effort at best.  There's really no excuse for that...and the has to land at Zimmers feet.  I had hope that the Vikings could turn the season around and perhaps reach .500.  I no longer feel that's possible.  I think I would trade anyone not on a rookie contract that I could get value for...even Thielen, Smith, Barr, Kendricks, Cook, Rudolph, Cousins (I realize not likely...but maybe cut).  I The only major extension talks I would have is with Hunter.  I don't know who I would want as a new head coach.  I want someone offensive minded, but I don't know who currently in the NFL has run offenses that are consistently excellent?   I am not sure I would hire someone who has never called their own plays...which, unfortunately leaves Bienemy and Lefwich out.  I know he's been out of football for a few years, and is a defensive minded coach mainly, but if Tony Dungy had the itch, I would hire him without question.  

18 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I don't know who I would want as a new head coach.  I want someone offensive minded, but I don't know who currently in the NFL has run offenses that are consistently excellent?   I am not sure I would hire someone who has never called their own plays...which, unfortunately leaves Bienemy and Lefwich out.  I know he's been out of football for a few years, and is a defensive minded coach mainly, but if Tony Dungy had the itch, I would hire him without question.  

That's the problem that I have.  Who would be better?  I'm not sure Bieniemy is.  I always liked him as our RB coach and he's certainly done a good job for the Chiefs...but I'm still not sure he's HC material.  Maybe he'll prove me wrong.  But, other than him, there isn't a single candidate out there that even intrigues me.  They're either retreads like Jay Gruden, Garrett, or Shurmur, or unqualified/unproven/uninspiring people like Brian Daboll, Brian Schottenheimer, Randy Fichtner, Arthur Smith, or Kevin O'Connell.  I just don't see a name out there that is likely any better than Zimmer.

Other than that, you'd have to go back down to the college level to find anyone and I'd personally prefer that college coach to have NFL experience...no career college coaches like Spurrier/Kelly were (which would be Dabo Swinney now)...and I'm not sure there are any college coaches with NFL experience that have any interest in coming back to the NFL.  Maybe there is, I don't know.     

40 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Top name on my list is still Greg Roman; he's shown the ability, in multiple stops, to mold his offense to his personnel; specifically his QB.

I don't really know about his personality and whether that's HC material or not...but he also has had far more mobile QBs in Kaepernick and now Jackson, so I can only really say he knows how to mold his offense to his mobile QB.  

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

Top name on my list is still Greg Roman; he's shown the ability, in multiple stops, to mold his offense to his personnel; specifically his QB.

Roman has shown to be a good play designer(esp on run plays) and he absolutely will design an offense to his QBs strength, but he is pretty meh as a playcaller especially in negative script situations. he is quick to abandon the principles that work and becomes extremely predictable when his team is down even one score. I still think he could be okay but would prefer someone like Brian Daboll or Eric Bienemy. 

42 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I don't really know about his personality and whether that's HC material or not...but he also has had far more mobile QBs in Kaepernick and now Jackson, so I can only really say he knows how to mold his offense to his mobile QB.  

First year in SF as the coordinator they had Alex Smith at the helm, went 13-3, had the #11 ranked scoring offense and were #1 in least giveaways.  Second year in 2012, Smith nearly matched his touchdown numbers from the first year in only 8 games, Smith went down, and the offense adjusted for Kaepernick, again finishing #11 in scoring, and #2 in giveaways.

Even in Buffalo he had top 12 scoring offenses, and his offenses have always taken care of the football, never finishing worse than 11th in giveaways.

-----

Now some of these numbers are obviously buoyed by some pretty good defenses as well, but at this point, the willingness to adapt scheme and play design to suit the players you have would be a welcome reprieve.