Will Mike Zimmer be back in 2021?

Uncle Buck

Will Mike Zimmer be back after the 2020 season?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Will Mike Zimmer be back after the 2020 season?

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/mike-zimmer-true-feelings-kirk-cousins/?fbclid=IwAR2mfYi9CH2Ozuii5FgiwT_4VqzIWg4eUopo8IEnkjc2rZuMugLa-Ctqb-0

"

Here’s what Zimmer said:

"The thing that I told Rick (Spielman) was, when we sat down in meetings, I said, ‘look, we’ve won this many games in these many years because of this football team.’ Because we’ve played really good on defense for the most part. This year, obviously, we played so much better on offense and we were able to go further than what a lot of people thought we would. So it’s important that we continue to put the pieces in place on defense.

What I don’t want to do is say, ‘okay, (here) is this one thing – we’re going to do this and we’re going to take away from the rest of the things that have gotten us to this point.’ So that’s the other thing.

Rob Brzezinski, our cap guy, does an outstanding job of saying, ‘okay, if we do this, then we’re going to have to give up here. If we do this, then we’re going to have to do this. If we do this, we can add here or we can add there.’ So I think all of those things come into play."

According to this Zimmer did not really want Kirk Cousins at that high contract number and turns out with how the team is now, he was correct in that though.  If that is the case the GM should go really, Zimmer maybe but absolutely the GM first.  The team is a defensive football team and now they turned it into an offensive football team that depends on good QB play which is clearly not happening with a super young defensive unit.  Too bad the GM and head coach cannot work together more but obviously they did not have money to keep guys like Rhodes who is playing well for Indy now, or Alexander who has potential long term, same with Kearse who was pretty solid last year on the Vikings and is not even commanding that much money, same with Alexander.    

• Like 1

Saw this today, wish he could bring that kind of honesty day in and day out to players but being a head coach, but that is not really possible to do always as he did as a DC.  It is a hard relationship to have coaches and players, especially with some who may be a little on the aloof side.  

PS he was dead right about Devon Still, who was an obvious disappointment in the NFL.

If the Vikings embrace a fully rebuild, I wonder if we see Zimmer resign. 

I’m leaning more and more towards the expectation that the team won’t fire Zimmer, even if they choose to rebuild. But, that might not be what Zimmer wants to do. At 64, does he have a rebuild in him? 

20 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

If the Vikings embrace a fully rebuild, I wonder if we see Zimmer resign. 

I’m leaning more and more towards the expectation that the team won’t fire Zimmer, even if they choose to rebuild. But, that might not be what Zimmer wants to do. At 64, does he have a rebuild in him? 

I think we're undermining the rebuild if we don't have both a new GM and head coach. Hopefully Zimmer would be willing to move on for the good of the team.

41 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

I think we're undermining the rebuild if we don't have both a new GM and head coach. Hopefully Zimmer would be willing to move on for the good of the team.

If the new GM is told that he has to keep Zimmer the Vikings will be eliminating some of the better GM candidates from the pool of candidates to consider. That would be a mistake.

• Like 1

I've been thinking that if I were Rick Spielman I would very possibly be thinking of firing Mike Zimmer before too long.  Either during the season, or at the end of the year.  The reason is that the team doesn't seem to have a real direction right now, and if we want to rebuild  the way Zim would probably like to do it, we are pretty much starting from the ground up.  If we wait for Zim to rebuild the defense, there really aren't any veterans on the team who will still be very good by the time we are a good team again. 

From Rick Spielman's perspective, if he keeps Zimmer around, it is probably just going to take longer to rebuild, and how much time is he going to be given to get things going again.  If he replaced him with an offensive minded head coach and a promising rookie QB, it might give him more time to rebuild the team into a competitive unit.  This may save his job for several more years.  Without firing Mike Zimmer I just don't see a way that either one of them will be around much longer than the 2021 season.

4 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I've been thinking that if I were Rick Spielman I would very possibly be thinking of firing Mike Zimmer before too long.  Either during the season, or at the end of the year.  The reason is that the team doesn't seem to have a real direction right now, and if we want to rebuild  the way Zim would probably like to do it, we are pretty much starting from the ground up.  If we wait for Zim to rebuild the defense, there really aren't any veterans on the team who will still be very good by the time we are a good team again. 

From Rick Spielman's perspective, if he keeps Zimmer around, it is probably just going to take longer to rebuild, and how much time is he going to be given to get things going again.  If he replaced him with an offensive minded head coach and a promising rookie QB, it might give him more time to rebuild the team into a competitive unit.  This may save his job for several more years.  Without firing Mike Zimmer I just don't see a way that either one of them will be around much longer than the 2021 season.

If the Vikings get killed by GB again and drop to 1-6, I'd expect it.

if he doesn't get fired after a massacre by the Packers, then I don't think he's going to get fired in 2020

2 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

If the Vikings get killed by GB again and drop to 1-6, I'd expect it.

if he doesn't get fired after a massacre by the Packers, then I don't think he's going to get fired in 2020

I wouldn't be surprised if they kept him around until the end of the year, but you could be right.

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they kept him around until the end of the year, but you could be right.

Fire Zimmer and Spielman when the Vikings are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.  Kubiak becomes interim head coach and George Paton is promoted to GM.  This allows the Vikings to be immediately in competition for the head coaching prospects that become available after the regular season.

Paton is trusted by ownership and he likes being in the Vikings FO.  Kubiak is not likely to be a serious candidate for the HC job permanently.  

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers has been squaring off with Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer for years, and Rodgers says that’s a tough challenge. So when Rodgers was asked about talk that Zimmer could be fired as a result of the Vikings’ highly disappointing 2020 season, he was surprised.

Rodgers told reporters today that he thinks it’s “absolutely crazy” that anyone could think Zimmer might be out of work soon. Rodgers said he considers Zimmer one of the best coaches in the NFL.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/28/aaron-rodgers-says-its-absolutely-crazy-if-mike-zimmer-is-on-the-hot-seat/

but hey, what the heck does Aaron know about coaching quality and in particular, Zimmer? i mean, our online fans here are better experts, I'm sure.

• Like 2

With so many teams struggling, roster turnover on defense, no preseason/COVID, and new contract. I'm accepting the fact of the Wilfs will keep the Rick/Zim for at least one more year. 

Unless the team quits on him the rest of the season. I just hope Rick says no if Zim wants another 1st rd CB. you can't keep spending your premium picks on one position.