Unpopular Opinions: Entertainment edition

TOUCAN

• 3 months later...

I personally find The Blair Witch Project overrated and never understood the hype it gets. It only stood out because it was a big fish in a small pond: the pinnacle of shoddy 90's horror movies that came out during that time. It wasn't even the first of its kind: Cannibal Holocaust was the actual first found footage film.

Cloverfield to me is the found footage king always and forever. How sad is it that I'd rather watch some teens talk about their sex/dating lives at some party than pay attention to any of the characters in The Blair Witch Con Job (because that's what it was). That's how lifeless I found the characters, or hell, the whole movie to be.

And before anybody calls me a late bloomer who "wasn't around to see the hype", The Matrix is my favorite movie of all time.

On 6/6/2020 at 2:04 PM, KManX89 said:

I personally find The Blair Witch Project overrated and never understood the hype it gets. It only stood out because it was a big fish in a small pond: the pinnacle of shoddy 90's horror movies that came out during that time. It wasn't even the first of its kind: Cannibal Holocaust was the actual first found footage film.

Cloverfield to me is the found footage king always and forever. How sad is it that I'd rather watch some teens talk about their sex/dating lives at some party than pay attention to any of the characters in The Blair Witch Con Job (because that's what it was). That's how lifeless I found the characters, or hell, the whole movie to be.

And before anybody calls me a late bloomer who "wasn't around to see the hype", The Matrix is my favorite movie of all time.

Difference is CH didn't crossover into the mainstream, BW did. BW's place in cinema history has little to do with its content, and more to do with its marketing and its resonance with audiences.

Edited by animaltested

On 2/20/2020 at 8:47 AM, Tetsujin said:

Nirvana came out with Nevermind in 1991, the same year the Smashing Pumpkins dropped their debut album. The Pumpkins were a superior band but since Nirvana captured whatever angst-filled feelings of the youth of the time, and the suicide of Cobain providing a short life for the band, Nirvana went on to legendary status. If Nirvana never would've existed, the Pumpkins would've achieved that status and would've been as revered in popular culture as Nirvana.

Good point. I never bought that crap about Cobain being the voice of a generation.

On 2/16/2020 at 3:39 PM, beekay414 said:

USA network is the worst TV network as far as production value goes. All of their shows suck due to this.

Since the turn of the century, I don't watch USA or TBS as much. USA shouldn't have gotten rid of "Up All Night", and TBS should have kept showing older movies like Bad Ronald and The Last American Virgin.

On 6/6/2020 at 2:04 PM, KManX89 said:

i fell asleep during the blair witch and never tried to watch it again.

On 6/8/2020 at 12:13 PM, animaltested said:

Difference is CH didn't crossover into the mainstream, BW did. BW's place in cinema history has little to do with its content, and more to do with its marketing and its resonance with audiences.

If by "marketing", you mean conning. BW is grossly overshadowed by its fraudulent marketing, the marketing ploy was a complete fraud and the film itself was nothing special.

And I know, The Conjuring movies like to play up the con artistery Warren case files as being real, but the difference is, those movies (excluding the spin-offs) are actually good and they didn't play it up hugely in the marketing like BW did.

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

There’s been very little good rock music in general for a long time, unfortunately.

There's been plenty of good metal, post-punk and prog rock. But nothing that I would label just as "rock". The last good "rock" band was The Tea Party.
Katatonia is an amazing rock band nowadays, but they played death/doom metal at the beginning of their career.

On 6/12/2020 at 10:22 PM, seminoles1 said:

X-Men: Dark Phoenix isn't bad.

I also prefer the X-Men universe to the MCU.

I think Dark Phoenix as a standalone movie is solid at worst. I went with a large group of friends and every single one of us liked it. It's the inconsistency with the timelines and contradictions from past movies that makes it "bad". 

• Like 1