Unpopular Opinions: Entertainment edition

TOUCAN

On 2/13/2020 at 5:50 AM, JonStark said:

This is going to get ugly.

I'll go as far as to say his only truly great film from concept to release is The Terminator (1984). Generally, his (Big Idea) movies fall apart at the conceptual level as he's either pushing style over substance or subverting his own lore.     

I'll go as far as to say his only truly great film from concept to release is The Terminator (1984). Generally, his (Big Idea) movies fall apart at the conceptual level as he's either pushing style over substance or subverting his own lore.   

Blasphemy. Aliens is the greatest ScyFy action film ever made, and its not even close. 

22 hours ago, beekay414 said:

- The original Terminator is a terrible movie in all aspects
- The 80's overall was a terrible era for film and 95% of the "classics" from the era are vastly overrated
- If a non-comedy movie isn't at least 105 minutes long before the credits hit, it's likely to be a bad movie.
- The Star Wars franchise sucks through and through. It's a franchise better off being left to books.
- The last great comedy movie was Wedding Crashers. It's been nothing but crap since. I put a lot of value in re-watchability and 95% of comedies suck in this regard.
- Sports movies are ALWAYS terrible movies due to the lack of realism in regard to the sport the movie is based on. As a sports fan, I just can't get past this lol.
- Psych was not a good TV show nor was it funny. USA network is the worst TV network as far as production value goes. All of their shows suck due to this.

I probably have a lot more but I can't come to think of them right now.

I agree with a lot of this, but Tropic Thunder is the best comedy movie recently and is insanely rewatchable for a comedy.

6 hours ago, Fl0nkerton said:

I truly don't get why everyone loves Radiohead so much. 

I mean, have you not listened to them or something?

2 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Blasphemy. Aliens is the greatest ScyFy action film ever made, and its not even close. 

T2

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I agree with a lot of this, but Tropic Thunder is the best comedy movie recently and is insanely rewatchable for a comedy.

Tropic Thunder is fantastic, and it's not the only great comedy since that time either.  There have been a lot of mixed comedies that are fantastic and rewatchable (Wes Anderson was already mentioned, Funny People, Birdman), but do dip into multiple genres.  If you want to go pure comedy, there are still a lot of great stuff out there.

I guess that's why it's an unpopular take there.

55 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Tropic Thunder is fantastic, and it's not the only great comedy since that time either.  There have been a lot of mixed comedies that are fantastic and rewatchable (Wes Anderson was already mentioned, Funny People, Birdman), but do dip into multiple genres.  If you want to go pure comedy, there are still a lot of great stuff out there.

I guess that's why it's an unpopular take there.

Tropic thunder was 2008. I personally didnt think it was that funny. I considered The Hangover the last great original comedy which came out in 2009. 

Edited by Calvert28

51 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Tropic thunder was 2008. I personally didnt think it was that funny. I considered The Hangover the last great original comedy which came out in 2009. 

Um... I disagree:

Get Him to the Greek (2010)

Easy A (2010)

The Other Guys (2010)

Horrible Bosses (2011)

Bridesmaids (2011)

Ted (2012)

This is the End (2013)

Sorry to Bother You (2018) (if you've ever worked in a call center, this is a hilarious one)

3 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Um... I disagree:

Easy A (2010)

The Other Guys (2010)

Horrible Bosses (2011)

Bridesmaids (2011)

Ted (2012)

This is the End (2013)

Sorry to Bother You (2018) (if you've ever worked in a call center, this is a hilarious one)

Very true, and you forgot these as well.  This is the End was really good especially in the middle of it, The Other Guys was classic McKay writting and Will Ferrell one liners...

The Sitter (2011)
Cedar Rapids (2011)
21 Jump Street (2012)
Nebraska (2013)
Spy (2015)
The Heat (2015)

The Heat is surprisingly funny as is Spy I feel, and 21 Jump Street is very good and The Sitter is crazy underrated.

1 hour ago, scar988 said:

Um... I disagree:

Easy A (2010)

The Other Guys (2010)

Horrible Bosses (2011)

Bridesmaids (2011)

Ted (2012)

This is the End (2013)

Don't hate, but I only midly laughed at 4 of those. Most of the time I was waiting for the funny parts.

Sorry but 2010's were just horrible for the comedies. The only ones I actually thought were good were the Deadpool's and even those weren't great.

17 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Everything after Alien is garbage. Upgrade (2018) is a better SciFi Action movie. And, tbh - that shouldn't even be considered a genre. A true representation would have a 50/50 or 60/40 split. Aliens is simply an action film with a scifi theme. 

15 hours ago, Daniel said:

T2

Like Aliens it's just an action film with a scifi theme. Compare the action scenes to other action films &  it's subpar. The chase sequence leading to the final battle in the factory is brilliantly constructed / choreographed though. The two biggest problems with T2 are as follows ... (1) It took a massive dump on the rules set prior in the original story. (2) The T-1000 is visually impressive, but at the same time conceptually stupid.    

Edited by Small Town Values