Unpopular Opinions: Entertainment edition

TOUCAN

23 hours ago, Daniel said:

Black Panther introduced one of the best movie villains in a very long time, but I would put forth Thor Ragnarok or one of the latter two Captain America movies if I’m putting one to the Academy.

How are you going to disrespect Loki like that? Likely the most complex and well depicted characters in the genre. Tom HIddlestone hit that role out of the park literally every single movie.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

How are you going to disrespect Loki like that? Likely the most complex and well depicted characters in the genre. Tom HIddlestone hit that role out of the park literally every single movie.

MCU villains better than Killmonger (in no particular order)

• Loki
  • Thanos
  • Ultron
  • Alexander Pierce
  • Zemo
  • Winter Soldier

I might also put Obadiah Stain, Hela, and maybe even Ego above Killmonger as well.

4 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

• Loki
  • Thanos
  • Ultron
  • Alexander Pierce
  • Zemo
  • Winter Soldier

I might also put Obadiah Stain, Hela, and maybe even Ego above Killmonger as well.

I wouldn't go that far.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

• Loki
  • Thanos
  • Ultron
  • Alexander Pierce
  • Zemo
  • Winter Soldier

Zemo has like five minutes of total screentime, Ultron was just plain lame, and Pierce was so forgettable that I forgot he was technically the main villain in Winter Soldier.  Get @ me with a real take.

On the subject of Loki: Loki is a great villain.  He's also hardly a villain after the first Avengers movie.  I think the Marvel movies are pretty consistently great overall: they embraced the campiness inherent to the genre, but didn't run away with it, and they've gotten a laundry list of great characters, and adapted things well, but most of their villains are tropey and forgettable, but they have quite a few good ones (surprised not to see Vulture get some love).  Killmonger just happens to be the best one.  Because Killmonger was right.

12 hours ago, Daniel said:

Zemo has like five minutes of total screentime, Ultron was just plain lame, and Pierce was so forgettable that I forgot he was technically the main villain in Winter Soldier.  Get @ me with a real take.

On the subject of Loki: Loki is a great villain.  He's also hardly a villain after the first Avengers movie.  I think the Marvel movies are pretty consistently great overall: they embraced the campiness inherent to the genre, but didn't run away with it, and they've gotten a laundry list of great characters, and adapted things well, but most of their villains are tropey and forgettable, but they have quite a few good ones (surprised not to see Vulture get some love).  Killmonger just happens to be the best one.  Because Killmonger was right.

I fail to see how. He is a unrealistic character. He claims "they" took everything from him and made his life miserable. Except the only person we saw throughout the entire film who actually wronged him was his uncle. His hate has no justification what so ever because the only two people that put him in his situation was his father and uncle. 

His reasons are supposed to be implied offscreen except we dont even get that. What has happened to him "personally"? I read one journalist actually had the audacity to compare his backstory and flawed view comparable to Magneto which made me laugh. 

Nothing about Kilmongers background suggest anything about racial hardships he went through. If there was they failed to explain it, the only thing they brought up was Erik's father trying to bring weapons to America to liberate his father. 

18 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

I’ve watched the LOTR trilogy all in one day twice.  Enjoyed them both times

It just didn't translate to the visual medium as seamlessly as many believe. The pleasure of the books is the time dedicated to world building. The films, by necessity, had to focus the attention elsewhere - with extended battle scenes being the choice. The repetitious nature of the films comes from that decision. 

Nirvana came out with Nevermind in 1991, the same year the Smashing Pumpkins dropped their debut album. The Pumpkins were a superior band but since Nirvana captured whatever angst-filled feelings of the youth of the time, and the suicide of Cobain providing a short life for the band, Nirvana went on to legendary status. If Nirvana never would've existed, the Pumpkins would've achieved that status and would've been as revered in popular culture as Nirvana.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Nothing about Kilmongers background suggest anything about racial hardships he went through. If there was they failed to explain it, the only thing they brought up was Erik's father trying to bring weapons to America to liberate his father. 

He was black.  In southern California.  In the early 90s.

It's not exactly something they would need to explain to any audience member with any knowledge of American society.  He speaks about systemic and global racism several times anyway.

If you put a Jewish character in Poland in the 30s, your audience should be able to pick up on the fact that they've gone through some stuff.  It's inefficient storytelling to explain obvious points that the audience should already be aware of, especially if it's background exposition.

35 minutes ago, Daniel said:

He was black.  In southern California.  In the early 90s.

It's not exactly something they would need to explain to any audience member with any knowledge of American society.  He speaks about systemic and global racism several times anyway.

If you put a Jewish character in Poland in the 30s, your audience should be able to pick up on the fact that they've gone through some stuff.  It's inefficient storytelling to explain obvious points that the audience should already be aware of, especially if it's background exposition.

See and this is where the hang up is. Even early 90s Southern Cal was not 1930s Poland. Even deep south wasnt 1930s Poland. No where close.

There is a huge difference between examples of racism here in America as oppose to a government who is literally rounding you up to kill you. The two are not anywhere close to being related. 

It is not enough of en explanation to compare a corrupt  bureaucracy to an outright hostile one. Saying rasicm created him when it was hardly the race Wars of the 1870s or 1960s especially when much of the "systematic" oppression came from many individuals from within his own community who shared his skin color. 

Also I want to end this with another redundant post that the very worse grievances he was shown to have suffered came at the hands of his own family. Why did he not hate Wakanda the same as the rest of these "oppressive" nations? 

They robbed him of his birth right, his identity and his only family abandoning him in a "oppressive" foreign country. "They" are the ones who took everything from him. Not the oppressive countries who could at that time probably didnt care if he lived or died because he was just another statistic. 

I dont know about you but I would hate the people who robbed me of everything early in life. More so then anyone else who may use a racial slur against me. 

So I ask this in all seriousness how exactly was he oppressed again and had everything taken from him in this country? You say it should be obvious given the time period and the location. But this guy was accepted into the most elite order of the armed services and just to show how smart he was in the movie they make a point to say he went to an elite university as well.

He could have been anything so how was he oppressed? He seemed to achieve more then most in their life and it's not like he worked the soup kitchen for his entire military career like a certain other black hero from WW2. Nor did it mention he was rejected for years even decades from said university like some civil right heroes. 

I mean do you see where the contradictions in his character are?