Unpopular Opinions: Entertainment edition

TOUCAN

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Ridiculous. The static nature of the characters alone limit it's intelligence and ceiling.

Parks and Rec took one of the Office's (Rashida Jones) most boring characters and turned her into a main character on their show. Then you had Rob Lowe and Adam Scott being the most boring and bland 2 characters will get in a series. Without April and Ron that show is unwatchable. The other shows you mentioned aren't even within the same tier.

7 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Parks and Rec took one of the Office's (Rashida Jones) most boring characters and turned her into a main character on their show. Then you had Rob Lowe and Adam Scott being the most boring and bland 2 characters will get in a series. Without April and Ron that show is unwatchable. The other shows you mentioned aren't even within the same tier.

3 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Comedy (and really all television) is made by writing, not actors. 

That the writers of The Office couldn't make Rashida Jones a strong character but the writers of Parks and Rec could, is not a mark against Parks and Rec, it's a mark against The Office. 

And the idea that any sitcom is a solid tier above any of the shows that I listed is pretty absurd. The Office is a significantly less intelligent comedy than Community, and has less compelling characters than Brooklyn 99 or New Girl.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Dane Cook is not, has not been, and will NEVER be funny.  

Image result for dane cook

Most stand up performances I’m laughing the entire time. With Dane Cook I just look at whoever I’m with and like... why is he funny? I’ve never even smirked at one of his jokes. No one I’ve been with has either. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Dane Cook is not, has not been, and will NEVER be funny.  

Image result for dane cook

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Most stand up performances I’m laughing the entire time. With Dane Cook I just look at whoever I’m with and like... why is he funny? I’ve never even smirked at one of his jokes. No one I’ve been with has either. 

Couldn't agree with these any more. Unfortunately, most of my friends think he's hilarious. Makes my blood boil. 

6 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

I never thought I'd see the day when people would start crapping on The Office.

It typically happens when a show sets the genre. Imitators learn from their mistakes and sometimes improve the formula. It doesnt help that The Office white knuckled it when Steve Carrel left for far too long. They should have ended the show there as it was already starting to tread water. Jim/Pam was the heart of the show and when it was clear their relationship was settled the stakes died. 

23 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

It typically happens when a show sets the genre. Imitators learn from their mistakes and sometimes improve the formula. It doesnt help that The Office white knuckled it when Steve Carrel left for far too long. They should have ended the show there as it was already starting to tread water. Jim/Pam was the heart of the show and when it was clear their relationship was settled the stakes died. 

Which is maybe the best argument for The Office. 

Even Parks and Rec had its very mediocre first season, then quickly righted the ship.

New Girl was able to navigate those same waters and hit the ground running.  

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Which is maybe the best argument for The Office. 

Even Parks and Rec had its very mediocre first season, then quickly righted the ship.

New Girl was able to navigate those same waters and hit the ground running.  

See I wouldnt put New Girl in the same category. Without the interview/faux docu format it seems too different to me. That could just be me nit picking

On 2/23/2020 at 10:24 PM, mse326 said:

Don't know if this is unpopular or not, but the best TV currently all comes from the UK

They certainly produce a disproportional amount of quality TV shows, just like rock music back in the day.

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

Couldn't agree with these any more. Unfortunately, most of my friends think he's hilarious. Makes my blood boil. 

Dane Cook's act is like a lousy PG-13 "Jump Scare" horror film.  Talks very slowly, very quietly while telling his story, and the BAM! 

He yells the "punchline."  Crowd startled into laughing.  

Not funny Dane.  Not funny at all.

• Like 1