Unpopular Opinions: Entertainment edition

TOUCAN

On 6/18/2020 at 2:37 PM, Daniel said:

Here may be an unpopular one: both Tom Cruise and Nicholas Cage are great actors.  When they want to be.

The difference is that Nic Cage elevates bad material (and is often brilliant)

Tom Cruise is adequate to me. He doesnt ruin movies, and he doesnt elevate them. 

17 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Such a product of the 90s

I think the NY Times said it best:

It was a very heavy movie so it doesn't exactly have high replay value but this trailer doesn't do it justice.  Esp the way they used to make trailers with voiceovers and narration (this one has that plus it's blasting Seal).  This movie was hard to watch bcuz it's depressing AF.

This was the movie tho where ppl said okay maybe Mark Wahlberg isn't just a pop rapper and an underwear model.  Not to mention this was released shortly after Gilbert Grape and really helped solidify DiCaprio as a star on the rise who has the chops.

59 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

When Nick Cage is trying, and finds the right scrip, there isn't a better actor in the business. 

He's pretty amazing in Adaptation.  Was good early in his career in Leaving Las Vegas and Raising Arizona.  I kinda think he gave up after those.

Tom Cruise is great in Tropic Thunder, but his real standout is Magnolia.  He bodies William H. Macy and Philip Seymour Hoffman in that movie.  I don't know why he wasn't able to come close to that in anything else I've seen him in though.

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

He's pretty amazing in Adaptation.  Was good early in his career in Leaving Las Vegas and Raising Arizona.  I kinda think he gave up after those.

Tom Cruise is great in Tropic Thunder, but his real standout is Magnolia.  He bodies William H. Macy and Philip Seymour Hoffman in that movie.  I don't know why he wasn't able to come close to that in anything else I've seen him in though.

Born On The 4th of July

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

Nic is brillant in Vampires Kiss and Mandy as well.

Also, he elevates Whicker Man to fun shlock

Nic is brillant in Vampires Kiss and Mandy as well.

He is pretty amazing in Bad Lieutenant as well. Not to mention Kick ***, The Rock (IMO the best 'fun' action movie ever made and Michael Bay's only saving grace), Lord of War. 

And while the movie overall is meh, in Mom and Dad he stole basically every scene. 

When he is on, he is so freaking fun. 

Its seemingly become trendy to overlook Jerry Maguire but he was terrific in that as well. 

Edited by BroncosFan2010

I have to admit something: i really enjoy Burlesque.  It's a guilty pleasure of mine.  I think it's a combination of younger Christina Aguilera (smokin hot), and the music.  Christina has one of the most distinctive female voices of all time, and i really dig it.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I'm not saying he's an amazing actor in them or anything, but I think he plays the roles in the MI movies quite well.

You can do well in a movie and not necessarily be a great actor.  An action role doesn't usually require a lot from someone.  I haven't seen all of them, but I've at least seen like three or four.  I don't recall any specific moments where I was wowed or thought he showed great range.  Specifically, people at the most extreme emotional states seem to be the toughest to pull off convincingly.

There are a lot of movies with Cruise that I like, even love.  A Few Good Men is an example, and while he's good, the part everyone remembers from that movie is Jack Nicholson's 5 minutes of screen time.

I bring up Tropic Thunder because you never see him in comedy, and he was one of the funniest parts of that whole movie.  I bring up Magnolia because he played a hookup artist guy and went through like the entire spectrum of emotion, and he did it in a Paul Thomas Anderson movie alongside consistent greats, and stole every scene he was in.

But he wants to be an action star, so...

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

The movies where I think Tom Cruise really brought something to his role:

Risky Business
Rain Man
Interview with the Vampire
Jerry Maguire
Magnolia
Vanilla Sky
The Last Samurai
Collateral
Tropic Thunder
Edge of Tomorrow

Haven't seen but have heard good things: Born of the 4th of July and American Made

Where Tom Cruise really seems to excel is that he is almost never bad.  He's almost always at least solid to above average in a role and having that in being a bankable movie star has made him boatloads of cash.  That aside, most actors would kills to have the 10 performances I listed above in their careers.

• Like 2