Why does there seem to be more confidence with Drew Lock being 'the guy' for Denver over Dwayne Haskins in Washington?

TOUCAN

This whole thing has me talking, I've been looking a little at Drew Lock and Dwayne Haskins situations lately. It feels as if Denver has more confidence in the situation with Lock than Washington does with Haskins. If you look at their recent game logs when the play calling duties were taken away from Callahan and given to O'Connell, Haskins really flourished.

Is it a regime continuity? Is the fact that Washington basically turned over the entire organization the culprit?

I mean I understand that these are small sample sizes but:

Drew Lock Rookie year

• 5 starts
  • 4-1 record as a starter
  • 7 TD, 3 interceptions
  • 64.1 completion %
  • 6.6 AY/A
  • 89.7 Passer rating

Dwayne Haskins Rookie year

• 7 starts
  • 2-5 record as a starter
  • 7 TD, 7 interceptions
  • 58.6 completion %
  • 5.9 AY/A
  • 76.1 passer rating

I get that the Redskins are a dumpster fire, but Denver isn't exactly loaded with offensive talent either. In the small bit of play we've seen from both of them, Lock has been better by most measures.

Add that into the fact that the Broncos are one of the best ran franchises and the Redskins are arguably the worst, and you have your answer.

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

One franchise has been competent this decade and the other hasn’t

This ultimately plays into it. Right, wrong or indifferent - John Elway's vision is still intact in Denver, and Lock is part of that vision.

Anytime you have a regime change at the top of a franchise, you'll have murmurings of confidence issues. I doubt Ron Rivera and his team of folks have looked at Haskins outside of a surface glance - they're going to have get to know him in very short order to determine where (or if) he fits. 

3 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

I mean I understand that these are small sample sizes but:

Drew Lock Rookie year

• 5 starts
  • 4-1 record as a starter
  • 7 TD, 3 interceptions
  • 64.1 completion %
  • 6.6 AY/A
  • 89.7 Passer rating

Dwayne Haskins Rookie year

• 7 starts
  • 2-5 record as a starter
  • 7 TD, 7 interceptions
  • 58.6 completion %
  • 5.9 AY/A
  • 76.1 passer rating

I get that the Redskins are a dumpster fire, but Denver isn't exactly loaded with offensive talent either. In the small bit of play we've seen from both of them, Lock has been better by most measures.

Add that into the fact that the Broncos are one of the best ran franchises and the Redskins are arguably the worst, and you have your answer.

Do you recognize how destitute the playcalling under BIll Callahan was and that the last 3-4 weeks while Kevin O'Connell was calling the shots how much better he got?

1 minute ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Do you recognize how destitute the playcalling under BIll Callahan was and that the last 3-4 weeks while Kevin O'Connell was calling the shots how much better he got?

Look I'm not going to lie that I don't watch many Redskins games.

But at the same time - It's not that hard to understand why people are higher on him than Haskins right now when his numbers were clearly better.

Who will end up having the better career is still up in the air.

Edited by Bolts223

7 minutes ago, Dome said:

As a mostly uniformed outsider looking in, I have no faith in either of them 

I think Lock could be good. He shredded the Texans, but everyone does that.

I admittedly haven't watched any of Haskins outside of highlights or snippits.

17 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I think Lock could be good. He shredded the Texans, but everyone does that.

I admittedly haven't watched any of Haskins outside of highlights or snippits.

Correction: Everyone except Gardner Minshew shreds the Texans. (15 points in 2 games)

BTW: Haskins was 45th in rating of players who threw more than 2 passes last year.

If he is good we have not seen it yet.

• Like 2