Why does there seem to be more confidence with Drew Lock being 'the guy' for Denver over Dwayne Haskins in Washington?

TOUCAN

7 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

That's the problem with posting numbers without context. That was the game DeSean, Alshon and Goedert all left the game injured early in the first QT. Completely killing whatever the game plan was for Atlanta.

Game where Future HOF WR's like Mack Hollins and JJ Arcega-Whiteside were thrust into Starting roles they clearly weren't remotely ready for. Had Agholor not dropped possibly the easiest 60 yd TD you'll  ever see, pretty sure those numbers change as would of the outcome of the game.

Context!

lo freaking l. Thats the game Wentz threw an INT to a guy sitting on the turf. Wentz threw like 5 more potential picks, but Atlanta DBs cant catch. He was horrific that game.

4 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Apparently the Eagles game plan flying literally out the window when 3 of their main targets exited the game in less then a QT.

The NFL is a Any Given Sunday League. If it wasn't the Browns dont beat the Ravens, Dolphins don't beat the Patriots, Jets don't beat the Cowgirls, Eagles don't beat the Packers in GB. So forgive me if Atlanta barely beating the Eagles with 3 of their best Offensive players out while playing on the road, doesn't surprise me.

Now if any of those other 6 teams you were so quick to mention routed the Falcons without their 3 Top WR/TE targets, please let me know? 🍺

"Any given sunday" is an intellectually lazy excuse though. The Indianapolis Colts scored on 5 of their 6 possessions in their game against us, with what amounts to their QB2 leading the show. You think the Colts weren't significantly impacted by not having Andrew Luck on the roster anymore? It didn't stop them from completely shredding us. That probably impacted the Colts way more than losing some WRs impacted the Eagles.

Edited by Hukos
  • Like 1

Simple to me. The EYE test! Drew Lock looked the part and is supremely more athletic than Haskins with a bigger arm. I get the little more athletic Byron Leftwitch vibe from Haskins. I think both will be decent but I think Lock showed he can do more.

4 hours ago, BZski said:

Simple to me. The EYE test! Drew Lock looked the part and is supremely more athletic than Haskins with a bigger arm. I get the little more athletic Byron Leftwitch vibe from Haskins. I think both will be decent but I think Lock showed he can do more.

I think Haskins is the type of QB that needs a good OC that will build a system around him that compliments his strengths. I dont think he is a crazy talent that can have success anywhere or in any type of offense. From watching him at Ohio St. he was really really really good with short/intermediate timing throws--maybe what he needs to reach his full potential is sort of a west coast offense. 

Lock I think has a higher ceiling based on his raw talent and has has potential to land somewhere between Pat Mahommes and Jay Cutler based on arm talent and mobility. 

I don't know if it's because I had higher expectations of Haskins than Lock, but the latter made me stand up and take notice when he got his chance. Haskins was so-so. I don't think either proved much, if anything, so still have the upcoming season to write their legacy in the league. 

I think both will be suiting up for similarly good teams next season, certainly don't think there is much between them. 

3 hours ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

How did this discussion derail into something about the Eagles?

I haven't read all the posts, but if I had to guess?

Probably something along the lines of the ole' Joe Montana joke back in the day (late in his career).

What's the difference between Joe Montana & a $1 dollar Bill?

Well, you can get 4 Quarters out of a 1 dollar bill.

Wentz is a good QB.

Unfortunately, he'll never be great because he wears this joke badge of honor already.

He's young...but just too injury prone.

The Eagles have no stability at the QB position.

And I hope they don't realize this for a very, very long time. 😁

On 2/17/2020 at 5:56 PM, scar988 said:

Very true. Wentz was pretty damn bad that game.

He was bad in the first half. He put it together in the 2nd half though. Early in the year, and early in games especially, Wentz and our offense sucked. After New England and Seattle, Wentz stopped trying to be something he wasn't and he got better. Though early game woes were still present to some degree, because the offensive coordinator is in large part responsible for those first 15 scripted plays (which when you go 3 and out as often as we would would usually entail most of if not all the 1st quarter).

Hopefully Press Taylor is better than Mike Groh, but I doubt it. Doug just needs to not give them any real power.

On 2/17/2020 at 4:56 PM, scar988 said:

Very true. Wentz was pretty damn bad that game.

He was awful in the first half and fantastic in the second.

He was good enough to win and Agholor dropped an absolutely perfect pass that could have been a TD but at worst gets them inside the 30.

WastefulScalyEuropeanfiresalamander-size

It was on national TV.

Agendas have nothing to do with reality.

Wentz did a great job overall last year all things considered.

Lots of QBs were awful against NE last year and Wentz was not great either. Take a look at the 4th down pass to Agholor that Nelson gets 2 hands on but drops.

They go to OT if he holds onto a pass in his hands.

It was not a perfect pass, but it was an incredible pass.

2019 Wentz bashers are clueless.

• He was not an MVP candidate (obviously)
  • He did not belong in the pro bowl.
  • He was still an incredible QB on a very flawed offense.
    • 1st QB in NFL history to throw for 4000 yards without a WR  that had 500+ yards is one example

His TD to INT since his rookie year is 81 to 21(3.86). Hes 4th all time a 2.77 to 1 including his rookie year. (5th once Mahomes qualifies)

• Mahomes is 76 to 17(4.47) for a benchmark. (obviously only 2 seasons)
  • Rodgers was 2.77 or 4.29 depending on if you count his 4th year in the league as a rookie year.
  • Wilson was 3.33 in years 2-4

The Cowboys probably go 10-6 or 11-5 with Wentz last year. (obviously this is an opinion)

The Eagles probably go 7-9 with Dak.

This is coming from a Foles guy who was very critical of Wentz's play last year (2018) because he lost some games late with poor play.

He was a damn fine QB in 2019.

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 1

Wentz being bad against the Falcons is more notable specifically because the Falcons were in a funk in which they were a historically awful defense. It wasn't like they were a bad defense, they were one of the worst ever in NFL history throughout those first eight games. The Falcons defense in that stretch wasn't even up to the standards of most teams practice squads (and I mean that unironically - there's no hyperbole with that statement). I think Wentz was fine in 2019 overall, but his performance in that game was hard to watch considering offenses that were worse than Philly were carving them up pretty easily.

Edited by Hukos