Trading Andy Dalton

SmittyBacall

4 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

It's not like NE was old school Indianapolis where Peyton Manning was willing them into relevancy and they went to an immediate #1 pick when he was out.  NE has a good roster. As long as they get even below average QB play, they'll be a playoff contender.

Exactly.  They'll end up in a situation like Pittsburgh last year.  Get good enough QB play to still be good, but not good enough to be a real contender.  

NE's roster is pretty depleted. Even with Brady last year, they couldn't win a playoff game. They missed Gronk badly, were thin at WR, and their #1 defense couldn't stop Derrick Henry when it counted. Since then they've lost their NT, their best pass rusher, and a versatile LB. They had to use a franchise tag on a guard which isn't a sign of how well stocked they are but of desperation. 

11 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

NE's roster is pretty depleted. Even with Brady last year, they couldn't win a playoff game. They missed Gronk badly, were thin at WR, and their #1 defense couldn't stop Derrick Henry when it counted. Since then they've lost their NT, their best pass rusher, and a versatile LB. They had to use a franchise tag on a guard which isn't a sign of how well stocked they are but of desperation. 

I agree.  Their roster is going to be flipped.  Maybe they just draft a guy in the first or second this year.  Maybe they wait.  I just don't see NE being as dominant moving forward, regardless if who they get at QB.  Dalton/Newton/Winstion are the best of the rest, and none of them are taking them deep into January

2 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

I agree.  Their roster is going to be flipped.  Maybe they just draft a guy in the first or second this year.  Maybe they wait.  I just don't see NE being as dominant moving forward, regardless if who they get at QB.  Dalton/Newton/Winston are the best of the rest, and none of them are taking them deep into January

And by flipping the roster, I mean that they will keep their core players intact, but start replacing aging vets even quicker that they normally do.  It will look similar to what we did last year.  Keep the key cogs, but start revamping where they can

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I think NE may finish last in the AFCE this year. If they play Stidham most of the year and he struggles, they could be a 4 win team. If they start off poorly, they may go into full Tank for Trevor mode. 

That would be shocking, and i would very much bet the over on that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

They also just put Fournette on the block.  I'd rather have LF for a year than a late pick.  Fournette walks, Mikey gets his comp pick

I thought he still had multiple years left on his deal?

Edit: NVM, guess not. 

Bengals won't trade for Fournette but whoever does has the chance to exercise his 5th year option for about 8 mil. 

Why would Jags delay trading for Dalton unless they are thinking about using a high pick on a QB? Otherwise, agree on comp, talk to Andy, and get the deal done.