Trading Andy Dalton

SmittyBacall

1 hour ago, johndeere1707 said:

If this happened OMG. I doubt it tho

Yeah me too. 

However, if i can play devil's advocate for a minute:

The bengals made it public that they were going to try and trade Andy into a situation where he could start.  That appears to be only New England at this point.  So in that sense, it would appear that the trade market has shriveled up.  But...if they're now open to trading him to a spot where he's the backup, there are more options now.  Because there are certainly teams that would be willing to take Andy on a restructured deal and give up a 4th or 5th round pick for him.  He's a proven commodity, almost definitely better than the guy you're taking in that position.  And a boon for the locker room.

So, i still doubt that particular trade rumor.  However, it's not far fetched to think that he might still get traded for a mid-round pick.

4 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

That Chicago 4th round comp pick looking really good right about now. That "4th" round pick could have been a falling receiver in a deep class. The risk of playing hardball, I guess.

Who ARE they targeting then?  Crickets from them on the subject.  I wouldn't put it past them to float this to drive the price down.  I still think the trade that makes most sense is Dalton and 33 for 23.  We should be ab;e to get our pick of the litter at LB.

I could see Andy and a pick to move up in the third as well, maybe our fifth and Dalton for their natural third rounder.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

But why would the Pats want Dalton in the first place? They could sign a more accomplished QB. Cam Newton will be available soon and Jameis Winston is available now. I fully expect the Bengals to release Andy with no trade available, 

Jameis Winston? I guess it's an accomplishment to throw 30 INTs for the first time in 40 years.

12 hours ago, sparky151 said:

But why would the Pats want Dalton in the first place? They could sign a more accomplished QB. Cam Newton will be available soon and Jameis Winston is available now. I fully expect the Bengals to release Andy with no trade available, 

Neither of those guys fit the mold for what belichick wants. They're both a little careless with the ball, and not the "smart" players he typically goes for. Even though I do agree that Cam at least is a better player (I don't agree on Jameis). 

13 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Jameis Winston? I guess it's an accomplishment to throw 30 INTs for the first time in 40 years.

He also had over 5K yards, leading the league.  

Sure Winston would have to take better care of the ball in NE but Arians wants his QBs to throw deep frequently. Sometimes Evans outjumps the defense and has a big play, sometimes the safety gets the pick. Palmer also had a lot of picks under Arians. NE doesn't have the type of receivers Tampa does so Winston would have to change his game. But there's no particular reason why he couldn't check down more to White or throw shorter to Edelman.