Trading Andy Dalton

SmittyBacall

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

He also had over 5K yards, leading the league.  

Sure Winston would have to take better care of the ball in NE but Arians wants his QBs to throw deep frequently. Sometimes Evans outjumps the defense and has a big play, sometimes the safety gets the pick. Palmer also had a lot of picks under Arians. NE doesn't have the type of receivers Tampa does so Winston would have to change his game. But there's no particular reason why he couldn't check down more to White or throw shorter to Edelman. 

I'd put money on Jameis not being a Patriot, and I'd give you pretty good odds too. 

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

But there's no particular reason why he couldn't check down more to White or throw shorter to Edelman. 

White and Edelman aren't check downs, they're the primary reads. Belichek wants QBs that excel at short passing game, protect the football, and get the ball out quickly and accurately. Winton is a gunslinger. He doesn't fit what the Patriots do.

7 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Sure Winston would have to take better care of the ball in NE but Arians wants his QBs to throw deep frequently. Sometimes Evans outjumps the defense and has a big play, sometimes the safety gets the pick.

Also, this isn't true at all. The vast majority of Winton's interceptions were bonehead decisions, inaccurate throws, or general poor feel/ability to read coverages. And most of them were in the short to intermediate areas of the field, not deep. Feel free to peruse this "highlight reel" to see for yourself.

8 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

And before Sparky or anyone else brings it up, the Pats signing Hoyer doesn't change the fact that they still need a starter.

I can see them sticking with those two for this season, but if they want to win games,  they need to fi d someone a bit better I think. Will likely sign a  qb at some point,  but I don't blame them if they sit tight and wait.

14 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

I can see them sticking with those two for this season, but if they want to win games,  they need to fi d someone a bit better I think. Will likely sign a  qb at some point,  but I don't blame them if they sit tight and wait.

They only sit tight if they are all in on Lawrence or Fields

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theJ said:

Even without a QB, they'll never be picking in that range. They're just too well coached otherwise. 

We are talking Bobby Hoyer.  You can't make chicken salad out of chicken $#$%.  If they are all in on a tank, Belicheck would be in the know.

11 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

We are talking Bobby Hoyer.  You can't make chicken salad out of chicken $#$%.  If they are all in on a tank, Belicheck would be in the know.

They did pretty well with Cassel once upon a time. They can win 7 games with whoever they put at QB. Which is outside of top QB range. 

9 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

That Patriots could start me at QB and make the playoffs. They will be fine. 

Plus, I expect them to add another QB of some sort before the season rolls around. Maybe a veteran like Andy or Brissett, or perhaps a premium draft pick.

It's not like NE was old school Indianapolis where Peyton Manning was willing them into relevancy and they went to an immediate #1 pick when he was out.  NE has a good roster. As long as they get even below average QB play, they'll be a playoff contender.

• Like 1