Where does Andy Dalton end up?

SmittyBacall

It seems as though the Bengals are going to do right by Andy and facilitate a trade to his liking. The asking price shouldn’t be astronomical considering we don't have much leverage in negotiations (as we're actively looking to move him), and have his future heir apparent waiting in the wings, making him very expendable. However, $17.7 million is a bargain for a QB of Dalton's caliber (even as a one-year rental), for a team looking to win now. As a reference, Alex Smith was traded for a third round pick and a quality starter, Kendall Fuller. Tannehill (and a 6th round pick) was traded last offseason for a 4th and a 7th. 

Which leads me to asking you guys a few questions: 

What teams do you think would be interested in Andy? 

What do you think we can get in return for Andy?

Where does Andy ultimately end up?

Personally, I think we see Andy end up in a Chicago uniform, for a few reasons. Firstly, we are going to send Andy somewhere with a path to playing time, and ‘doing right by Andy’ probably entails sending him somewhere where he can win. Secondly, former Bengals OC, Bill Lazor, is now the OC in Chicago; so there are personal ties there. Thirdly, similar to the Mariota situation last year in Tennessee, I think Chicago is at the end of their rope with Trubisky and brings someone in to compete with, or be a fallback option, if he continues to falter. The Bears will be looking to capitalize on a very good roster while they still can, even if that means bringing in a quality veteran like Andy to right the ship for a few seasons before another rookie is developed. On top of all that, he fits Nagy’s scheme well, and is comfortable playing from the gun and getting the ball out quick to his receivers. I think it’s by far the best fit and makes the most sense. Problem is, Chicago is low on draft capitol at the moment, and only own a 2nd, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 6th, 7th. 

What do you guys think?

Edited by SmittyBacall

Chicago is definitely a strong possibilty.  Dalton isnt a great starter, but I think he is better than Trubisky.  I could see the going after Rivers too.

If Brady doesnt stay with Pats, I could see Dalton landing there as a stop gap.

Chargers might bring him in as a stop gap as well.

Those would be my top 3.

I could see the Bengals getting a 4th or 5th for him.

Bengals need a vet to replace Dalton, though. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Chargers might bring him in as a stop gap as well.

From what I’ve read they seem pretty content with who they have in house (Tyrod). But it’s definitely possible. 

6 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I could see the Bengals getting a 4th or 5th for him.

I’m hoping for a 3rd, but would be pleased enough with a 4th and maybe another late rounder (6th). 

1 minute ago, SmittyBacall said:

From what I’ve read they seem pretty content with who they have in house (Tyrod). But it’s definitely possible. 

I’m hoping for a 3rd, but would be pleased enough with a 4th and maybe another late rounder (6th). 

Forgot they had Tyrod.

3rd possible depending how things shake out.

5 minutes ago, Elky said:

This sounds contrary, but if Cincy doesn't get any offers that interest them, why not just ride Dalton is in his final year and bench him if/when the team is mathematically out of the playoff race?

My thought be would be there is some cap savings to be had.

2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

As a reference, Alex Smith was traded for a third round pick and a quality starter, Kendall Fuller. Tannehill (and a 6th round pick) was traded last offseason for a 4th and a 7th. 

I understand why you’d make the Alex Smith comparison, as their backgrounds/track records are pretty comparable — but I think you have to keep in mind that Alex was coming off a playoff/division championship season where he led the NFL in passer rating. Dalton is coming off a season where he posted the lowest passer rating of any full-time starter (12+ starts) and got briefly benched for Ryan Finley on the team that earned the #1 pick. 

We both know Dalton isn’t really that bad, but perception means as much as reality when it comes to trade value, and his stock has to be at its absolute nadir right now. 

I think Tannehill is probably the best comp at the moment. Dalton is a couple years older and more expensive (by a lot; $17M to $7M guaranteed in Tannehill’s new TEN contract), but he’s also probably been considered the better player. It probably bears mentioning that the Dolphins got a future 4th for Tannehill in addition to the pick swap, so that waters down the return even a bit more. 

If I were forced to pick a return, gun to my head, I’d probably say a 5th (or a future 4th) and perhaps a pick swap. Pretty much the Tannehill return, although I do think there’s a greater than zero chance that they end up having to just cut him. I hope that’s not the case, as I like the Bengals — they‘ve been the only bulwark against the advance of the Ravens and Steelers in my neck of the woods over the past two decades, and us fans of perennially moribund franchises have to stick together. 

• Like 1