Where does Andy Dalton end up?

SmittyBacall

16 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I think Chicago is a real possibility but sorry I do not think anyone is going to trade anything for Dalton, because #1 he's not that good to warrant a trade, unless the Bengals are willing to accept a late round pick and eat a lot of his salary. 

#2, this upcoming FA QB class is the best we've seen in years, therefore, no team is going to be in a rush to trade for Dalton, unless as mentioned above, it is enticing enough for a team to part ways with draft capital.

I think they'll take whatever they can get, even if that's a sixth round pick.  And salary wise he's pretty cheap and has no dead cap, so the team trading for him can renegotiate if they want.  No reason for Cincy to eat any money.

I think there will be a healthy market for the guy.  Teams with younger QB's would probably rather a guy like him to mentor than a sixth round pick.  The problem is that the Bengals are "trying to do right by Andy" aka trading him to a spot where he'll start.  That limits the field quite a bit.

48 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I think Chicago is a real possibility but sorry I do not think anyone is going to trade anything for Dalton, because #1 he's not that good to warrant a trade, unless the Bengals are willing to accept a late round pick and eat a lot of his salary. 

Then you're underrating Dalton's ability as a quarterback.

48 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

#2, this upcoming FA QB class is the best we've seen in years, therefore, no team is going to be in a rush to trade for Dalton, unless as mentioned above, it is enticing enough for a team to part ways with draft capital.

Fair enough, but let's see how this QB market shapes up entering FA before we call it an all-time class. Brady, Winston, and Brees/Bridgewater could be retained to their former clubs. Who's left after that? Rivers and Mariota? Even if guys like Winston and Bridgewater aren't retained, they're expensive, risky and/or unproven. They aren't definitively better options than an established vet like Andy, not in the slightest.

Andy has a lot going for him. He's a proven winner who has provided good QB-play when given an equally good supporting cast. He will come cheaper and has proven more than the majority of this QB market. Andy, like most Bengals players - now and throughout history - is underrated. It's fun to pick on the ginger with a history of struggling on the national scale (which may be because of reasons beyond his control). The casual observer of Bengals games has reasons to balk at the thought of acquiring Andy. But he's still a good QB with some good football left to give. I would safely assume there is going to be a market for his services.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2020 at 1:58 PM, theJ said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting to trade for him and hand him a 5 year contract as the new franchise QB. He's a stop gap solution for a team that's not in position to draft a QB they feel is a day 1 starter.

That probably limits the field down to NE, CHI, and IND.

Chicago has neither cap space nor draft capital to acquire Dalton, so that leaves NE and IND and IND/Reich probably prefers Rivers given their history
I don't think there are many situations where Andy is the answer right now, might have to wait till September and see if any starting QBs bust a chin strap
Cincy also said they will let Andy have a say in his next stop, further reducing the number of suitors for his services.

17 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Chicago has neither cap space nor draft capital to acquire Dalton,

So ~25M and 6 draft picks is not enough to sign Andy Dalton? Are we talking about the same QB? 

Chicago has enough resources to sign Dalton but it wouldn't make any sense to do it. For one, Dalton is strictly a backup QB and has proven time and time again that he cannot be a legit reliable starter for any team in this league. For two, Pace/Nagy are committed to Mitch and whoever is brought in as "competition" won't even get a start until the season is over. 

18 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Chicago has neither cap space nor draft capital to acquire Dalton, so that leaves NE and IND and IND/Reich probably prefers Rivers given their history
I don't think there are many situations where Andy is the answer right now, might have to wait till September and see if any starting QBs bust a chin strap
Cincy also said they will let Andy have a say in his next stop, further reducing the number of suitors for his services.

Even if the Colts don’t sign Rivers, I’d much rather the Colts enter 2020 with Brissett as the starter then give up draft capital for Dalton. 

18 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Chicago has two fifths, two sixths and a seventh.  I think one of those fifth rounders can get it done.

As for money, that's rarely an issue for a mid-tier player like Dalton.  Restructures are common, and expected.

I'm curious if Cincinnati will be willing to carry him that long, or if they determine the right thing for Andy is to release him early enough to allow him to find a spot.  I'm of the opinion that they won't hold him past the draft, but who really knows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Chicago has enough resources to sign Dalton but it wouldn't make any sense to do it.

Dalton is better than Trubisky, so absolutely would make sense to make an upgrade while the Bears strong roster is still intact.

For one, Dalton is strictly a backup QB and has proven time and time again that he cannot be a legit reliable starter for any team in this league.

This is just blatantly untrue. Dalton has proven, time and time again (since his rookie year), that he is a capable starter. And a above-average starter if propelled by his supporting cast. He was a legitimate MVP candidate during his 2015 campaign before he got injured late in the year. That was 5 years ago. Since then he’s taken his lumps and we haven’t been able to provide him with enough talent to reach that potential again. But to say he’s a proven back up? He’s won 70 games in his career as a starter. 

For two, Pace/Nagy are committed to Mitch and whoever is brought in as "competition" won't even get a start until the season is over. 

I really don’t believe that to be true. Nagy and Pace are working for their jobs this season. If Trubisky continues to hold the team back they aren’t going to remain hitched to that dying horse all year. I’d imagine Trubisky has about as much leash as Mariota did last year. They would be smart to bring in a competent starter. 

• Like 1

For one, Dalton is strictly a backup QB and has proven time and time again that he cannot be a legit reliable starter for any team in this league. 

I think this is unfair - for half a decade, he had an average Bengals team in the playoffs. AJ Green, Geno Atkins, a faulty OL and RB such as Jeremy Hill, and he was able to sneak into a few WCs. For all intents and purposes, that Bengals team overachieved a lot in that timeframe.

If your definition of a reliable starter is strictly a guy who can make deep playoff runs, you'll need to recalibrate that definition - if anything, Andy Dalton is the textbook definition of reliable starter, a guy who can win and get a fringe playoff team into the playoffs. You're not going to make an NFCCG or even a Divisional Round game, save for a miracle of some sort - but with a competent team, you're going to win games and compete for the post season.

• Like 2

On 2/14/2020 at 1:02 PM, uk9erfan said:

Lol. In the same cell as Antonio Brown. 

BREAKING NEWS!

Andy Dalton seeking legal action against Antonio Brown for having repeatedly farted in Daltons face.

Antonio Brown issued a statement

"Big chest, big farts. I can't be contained. The media tryna blast me, make me the villian. Ain't none of that gonna keep me down."

ESPN investigates...

• Like 1