Where does Andy Dalton end up?

SmittyBacall

I think all of you are missing the bigger picture. If Dalton gets traded he literally no longer qualifies for the Dalton line. Which has been a staple for like a decade. I think we need to start looking at options. It cant be trubisky, that dude is about to be benched for Dalton. I nominate Carr.

3 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I think all of you are missing the bigger picture. If Dalton gets traded he literally no longer qualifies for the Dalton line. Which has been a staple for like a decade. I think we need to start looking at options. It cant be trubisky, that dude is about to be benched for Dalton. I nominate Carr.

The Carr Bar?

Edited by BroncoSojia
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Schefter speculates a possible 4th round pick for Dalton. 

To be blunt Elway made a desperation move - for a trade that was widely panned as a horrible move by everyone but DEN homers and BAL apologists (who really had nothing to apologize for, they don't force GM's to act stupidly).   Most discerning fans could see Flacco was done. 

Having said that, Dalton differs from Flacco in that he actually offers league-average play ability...if not much more.   So there's that.   A 4th would be plausible just because Dalton could actually be a placeholder for 1-2 years.    The only reason it might not go that high - the stopgap QB FA market is pretty saturated.    Which is a rare thing to say, but that's definitely what we are seeing this year.   In other offseasons, I'd say a 4th is a very reasonable target.   With JAX desperate to clear salary with Foles, and guys like Teddy B around, while few are "sexy" choices - this year's FA crop is miles ahead of years when the Mike Glennons and Matt Hasselback's of the world are the best option.   Will be fascinating to see how this plays out.

Edited by Broncofan

21 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The only reason it might not go that high - the stopgap QB FA market is pretty saturated.    Which is a rare thing to say, but that's definitely what we are seeing this year.

Yep, which bit of a shame considering he'd be in higher demand another year (just look at what someone like Mike Glennon got in 2017). The main thing going for us though is his price will be relatively cheap compared to what you'll find on the open market. Hopefully one team buys in. 

Andy Dalton is worth a late 2nd or early 3rd round pick imo. 

People like to dog him for his prime time record and lack of playoff success but that guy is not nearly as bad as 90% of the public makes him out to be.

A team could do much worse than Andy Dalton as a starter for ~2 years.

• Like 3

I can certainly see why Chicago would make sense.  He's not a great QB, but maybe he's less bad than Trubisky i guess?  If they can somehow make the cap work?

But i'm gonna throw out a wildcard...I think he ends up in Carolina, with Newton ending up somewhere else.  Maybe even Chicago.  That'd make even more sense.

2 hours ago, Tugboat said:

But i'm gonna throw out a wildcard...I think he ends up in Carolina, with Newton ending up somewhere else.  Maybe even Chicago.  That'd make even more sense.

How would that make more sense?

The thing with Newton is the he’s going to be incredibly difficult to trade. He’s still recovering from injury and likely won’t be ready to test medically until well after the FA window starting March 15th. Teams looking for QBs aren’t going to be waiting around to see if they medically clear a beaten up QB who looked like a shell of his former self last year. There’s just too much risk and not enough time to make a deal possible. Plus, Rapaport reported Carolina has already committed to Newton as their QB in 2020 already, and he’s usually a pretty reliable source. Newton is a bridge for the new regime, just like Dalton would be. It doesn’t make sense to swap those two.

I just don’t see it happening.