Where does Andy Dalton end up?

SmittyBacall

No idea why people are acting like Andy is some replacement level player. There are a lot of franchises who haven't had a QB anywhere near as good as him over the past 10 years.

• Jets
  • Bills
  • Dolphins
  • Jaguars
  • Browns
  • Buccaneers
  • Redskins
  • Cardinals
  • Rams
  • Vikings
  • Bears

That's like a 1/3 of the league that definitely hasn't had someone as consistently decent as Dalton over the same period of his career.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Malik said:

No idea why people are acting like Andy is some replacement level player. There are a lot of franchises who haven't had a QB anywhere near as good as him over the past 10 years.

• Jets
  • Bills
  • Dolphins
  • Jaguars
  • Browns
  • Buccaneers
  • Redskins
  • Cardinals
  • Rams
  • Vikings
  • Bears

That's like a 1/3 of the league that definitely hasn't had someone as consistently decent as Dalton over the same period of his career.

That’s very true

2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Plus, Rapaport reported Carolina has already committed to Newton as their QB in 2020 already, and he’s usually a pretty reliable source

sort of.
What the report actually says is that unnamed sources claim he's the guy right now. In February. And then they equivocate by saying "a lot can change"

"A lot can still happen in the coming months, but as of now, the #Panthers are moving forward with Cam Newton as their starting QB, sources say."

I'd say this declaration is pretty much meaningless in terms of where Cam plays next year. As far as the trade, teams simply use a conditional pick based on the 2020 performance - and for the Panthers, that's perfect as they stockpile 2021 draft capital

I don't see Dalton going to Carolina either, it makes little sense as you noted above

3 hours ago, Malik said:

• Jets
  • Bills
  • Dolphins
  • Jaguars
  • Browns
  • Buccaneers
  • Redskins
  • Cardinals
  • Rams
  • Vikings
  • Bears

Because he's in his 30's, probably isn't getting better, has had a few down years in a row, and we've seen that he's not good enough to win the SB.

That being said, i think he has some good football left in him.  Put a good team around him and he'll perform.  Which is more than most QB's can do.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2020 at 8:03 AM, SmittyBacall said:
On 2/18/2020 at 6:44 AM, JustAnotherFan said:

Chicago has enough resources to sign Dalton but it wouldn't make any sense to do it.

Dalton is better than Trubisky, so absolutely would make sense to make an upgrade while the Bears strong roster is still intact.

By what margin? The difference between Mitch and Dalton are not that far apart in 2020. 

For one, Dalton is strictly a backup QB and has proven time and time again that he cannot be a legit reliable starter for any team in this league.

This is just blatantly untrue. Dalton has proven, time and time again (since his rookie year), that he is a capable starter. And a above-average starter if propelled by his supporting cast. He was a legitimate MVP candidate during his 2015 campaign before he got injured late in the year. That was 5 years ago. Since then he’s taken his lumps and we haven’t been able to provide him with enough talent to reach that potential again. But to say he’s a proven back up? He’s won 70 games in his career as a starter. 

Highlighted for obvious reasons. 

Now, I want you to think about this?

For two, Pace/Nagy are committed to Mitch and whoever is brought in as "competition" won't even get a start until the season is over. 

I really don’t believe that to be true. Nagy and Pace are working for their jobs this season. If Trubisky continues to hold the team back they aren’t going to remain hitched to that dying horse all year. I’d imagine Trubisky has about as much leash as Mariota did last year. They would be smart to bring in a competent starter. 

1) Nagy MIGHT be playing for his job but I'm not too convinced that Pace is (you obviously don't know how McCaskey works). 

2) Mitch's situation to Mariota is completely irrelevant.  Mariota didn't have previous ties to the EITHER of current owner or coach. They essentially inherited them. Pace DRAFTED Mitch and then hired Nagy to WORK with Mitch after him playing 1 year in a anarchy system. 

On 2/18/2020 at 8:37 AM, ET80 said:

I think this is unfair - for half a decade, he had an average Bengals team in the playoffs. AJ Green, Geno Atkins, a faulty OL and RB such as Jeremy Hill, and he was able to sneak into a few WCs. For all intents and purposes, that Bengals team overachieved a lot in that timeframe.

If your definition of a reliable starter is strictly a guy who can make deep playoff runs, you'll need to recalibrate that definition - if anything, Andy Dalton is the textbook definition of reliable starter, a guy who can win and get a fringe playoff team into the playoffs. You're not going to make an NFCCG or even a Divisional Round game, save for a miracle of some sort - but with a competent team, you're going to win games and compete for the post season.

It's not unfair, it's 2020.  

You are also strongly underrating SEVERAL players on those teams during that time. Including his OL which featured a future 1st ballot hall of famer.  Also,   Burflict (hate him with a passion but he's good), Maulauga (never turned out to be what some thought but was very solid), Nelson (very solid--one of the best at the time tho underrated), Jones (second chance at life after bad decision and turned out well), Dunlap (VERY underrated), etc.....

They had some a very good teams! It was old Lewis, who was stuck in his ways, and Dalton in the playoffs that kept them going anywhere.

Edited by JustAnotherFan

4 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

By what margin? The difference between Mitch and Dalton are not that far apart in 2020. 

By watching them play.

Highlighted for obvious reasons. 

Now, I want you to think about this?

I’m Ron Burgundy? Yes, it was 5 years ago, but there’s nothing that makes me believe Dalton’s play (physically or otherwise) has deteriorated over those 5 years. The supporting cast makes the difference. 

1) Nagy MIGHT be playing for his job but I'm not too convinced that Pace is (you obviously don't know how McCaskey works). 

I’d agree with this. Pace’s job is probably safer. And yes, he might be coaching for his job. 

2) Mitch's situation to Mariota is completely irrelevant.  Mariota didn't have previous ties to the EITHER of current owner or coach. They essentially inherited them. Pace DRAFTED Mitch and then hired Nagy to WORK with Mitch after him playing 1 year in a anarchy system. 

It’s not irrelevant in the slightest. It doesn’t matter who drafted him. After 3 years of inconsistent, below-average QB play (which is very obviously holding a talented roster back) you eventually have to assess the situation for what it is and make a decision based on what is best for the club. Are you actually convinced they’re committed to Trubisky for the entire 2020 season? I’m not. There’s a reason they’re looking for QB talent to “challenge” Trubisky. They need someone competent to replace him midseason when enough is enough.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

but there’s nothing that makes me believe Dalton’s play (physically or otherwise) has deteriorated over those 5 years. The supporting cast makes the difference. 

By watching them play.

This answer has nothing to do with what you said or what I asked. 

The margin between Dalton in 2020 and Mitch is not that far apart. But you have already proven that you don't have a consistent basis when judging QB's so...

Yes, it was 5 years ago,

Enough said then.

but there’s nothing that makes me believe Dalton’s play (physically or otherwise) has deteriorated over those 5 years. The supporting cast makes the difference. 

Really? So the supporting cast is the reason that he has been one of the worst QB's in the game in the last 3 years? His supporting cast is the reason he has the 5th most turnovers in the league in the last 3 years? 

Get outta here with that nonsense. Dalton's has always been an average at best QB, and in 2020 he is one of the worst, and the best you have come up with is pointing to "70 wins".

News flash...Cutler had nearly that many wins too over the same period and even Mitch has more wins than Dalton as well over the last 2 years. 

It doesn’t matter who drafted him.

It absolutely does matter. New GMs and HC's like to choose their QB's and the Titans Robinson and Vrabel did NOT choose Mariota. Unlike Pace who DID choose Mitch! 

After 3 years of inconsistent, below-average QB play

2 years.....because his first season was with Fox and a bunch of nobodies and Pace knew was Fox was done. Buy hey, you have watched him play right? Or is the the whole "surrounding talent" argument  only apply when it fits your agenda?

It doesn’t matter who drafted him. .

It absolutely does matter. GM's and HC's like to choose their own QB's and Vrabel and Robinson did not choose Mariota. Unlike Pace who DID choose Mitch.

8 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

This answer has nothing to do with what you said or what I asked. 

I’m not judging this based on metrics. I’m judging this based on what I’ve seen. 

The margin between Dalton in 2020 and Mitch is not that far apart.

What margin are you referencing? And I would hope so. Dalton had a dismal supporting cast in 2020. He’s not the type of QB to overcome that. 

But you have already proven that you don't have a consistent basis when judging QB's so...

Not sure what this is referencing, but to be perfectly honest, I don’t care.

Really? So the supporting cast is the reason that he has been one of the worst QB's in the game in the last 3 years? His supporting cast is the reason he has the 5th most turnovers in the league in the last 3 years? 

Yes?

Dalton's has always been an average at best QB

I would agree, and that’s better than Trubisky. Dalton was a legitimate MVP candidate (until Week 13) in 2015 before he got injured for the year. He can be a very good QB with the aid of a sufficient supporting cast. I don’t think Trubisky can. He will be a career back up sooner than you realize. 

Unlike Pace who DID choose Mitch! 

And if he has a brain in his head he’s already realized what Mitch is and is going to take the necessary steps to eventually replace him when the time comes. 

We can rehash this midseason and see who can say “I told ya so”. Until then, adios and good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

First, you say "I'm done here" and so I was gonna move on. Then, you post two random twitter posts 3 days later (which I saw, laughed at you (you don't read the news) and ignored it) and now 3 weeks later you tag me and bring it up again. 

Listen here, my little insecure boy or girl. If your gonna be done with something then be done with it. Don't say your taking your ball and going home and then sit on the sidelines pouting and still talking.

Pace also said Mitch was the starter. Pace also said a few years back that Mitch was going to sit and learn.  I could post a dozen other interviews, posts, blogs, etc too that say the exact opposite. Does it mean it's true? No. It doesn't. It's the off-season with the draft coming up.  Pace has an ego. He's not ready to admit he messed up by drafting Mitch just like he wasn't ready to admit he messed up by drafting White.

Not to mention, when exactly is this "competition" going to take place given the current circumstances? Best case scenario right now is a very short TC (I doubt it) and a shorter preseason (if at all). When will Foles have time to work with the offense, learn the playbook,  learn about his teammates, etc, etc? So Nagy is just going to hand the starting job over to Foles when Mitch would have a far better understanding of the different nuances. Jesus christ, think about it.

I swear, you people on social media will believe everything you read. 

I know you must be hurt seeing 32 owners agreeing that the unemployed turnover machine Dalton is garbage after going to bat for him as much as you have, but leave me out of your personal issues.