Where does Andy Dalton end up?

SmittyBacall

41 minutes ago, e16bball said:

We both know Dalton isn’t really that bad, but perception means as much as reality when it comes to trade value, and his stock has to be at its absolute nadir right now. 

QB Perception means a lot in Chicago, so that may play a role as they compete with Stafford, Cousins, Rodgers in the NFC North
Dalton had a top 10 defense in Cincy with Zimmer calling the shots and he never managed a single playoff win. Of course there are many reasons for that, but the reality is that the Bears are built to win now and this is Nagy's last stand as far as delivering a winner in the Windy City.

Is Dalton better than Trubisky ?
Absolutely . And he would likely see success there given the skills players and the familiar OC as you noted. But if the Bears are going to make a move at QB and move on from the 2nd pick of the draft, I'm not certain that Dalton would be their first choice. Expecting him to lead the bears on a deep playoff run is 100 % unsupported conjecture and mostly blind hope. Cam Newton or another QB might be higher on their list

However, Chicago is very tight on the cap and has limited draft capital after the Mack trade, so while they might like to aim higher - there are practical limits in terms of what they can offer on the $$ and draft pick side. They will have to move cap around and/or make cuts just to fit Andy's salary.

Here is the problem with Dalton:

You get a young QB and you never know how they are going to hold up to playoff pressure until they are there.

Dalton got 4 playoff games and he was beyond abysmal.

• Ratings of 67, 63.4, 51.4, 44.7
    • You get a 39.8 rating for spiking the ball 22 times

The better play is to find someone (anyone) who has not completely failed 4 times in the playoffs.

• If Brady, Mahomes, Foles, Aikman, Warner, etc are playoff clutch then Dalton is a choke artist

Tebow is a better option than Dalton if you are serious about the playoffs. (Tebow is only 76 days older than Dalton)

• Terbow is not a good option but Dalton is worse

If you just want to win 5 to 9 games for a year or two then Dalton is fine.

BTW, I feel the same way now about Wentz's health.

If the Eagles ever again show up to a playoff game with Wentz starting and don't have 2 backups, at least 1 who is decent, the coach and GM should be fired.

You can't show up to the playoffs and just hope things will be different.

33 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

You get a young QB and you never know how they are going to hold up to playoff pressure until they are there.

The better play is to find someone (anyone) who has not completely failed 4 times in the playoffs.

• If Brady, Mahomes, Foles, Aikman, Warner, etc are playoff clutch then Dalton is a choke artist

Tebow is a better option than Dalton if you are serious about the playoffs. (Tebow is only 76 days older than Dalton)

I agree.  I don't see Dalton as a stop gap.  He is bad.  I've seen people mention Chicago or New England as possible choices.  Yeah, if he's going there to be the back up QB, sure.  Trubisky is really struggling, but he's still only 25 years old.  Maybe there's something there with him.  Dalton is 32.  The guy is a backup QB at this point.  He shouldn't be a starter in the league anymore, imo.

8 minutes ago, showtime said:

I agree.  I don't see Dalton as a stop gap.  He is bad.  I've seen people mention Chicago or New England as possible choices.  Yeah, if he's going there to be the back up QB, sure.  Trubisky is really struggling, but he's still only 25 years old.  Maybe there's something there with him.  Dalton is 32.  The guy is a backup QB at this point.  He shouldn't be a starter in the league anymore, imo.

Absolutely. If Nagy gets Dalton to lead the Bears to a 10-6 record and a wildcard game and then he goes 14 for 30 for 167 yards 0 TDs and 2 picks... Nagy is fired the next day.

Nagy wants to keep his job.

14 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

He’s on the tier with the other game managers. 

He's at the top of the list of the game managers IMO. He's really not bad like people think he is. He's a solid starting QB.

The Bengals had nothing else around him. Joe Mixon was a nice player, but very inconsistent. They have no #1 WR (Green has been hurt), their TE is a shell of his former self (Eifert), and their OL is comprised of absolute bums and never-were's.

3 hours ago, SkippyX said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting to trade for him and hand him a 5 year contract as the new franchise QB.

He's a stop gap solution for a team that's not in position to draft a QB they feel is a day 1 starter.

That probably limits the field down to NE, CHI, and IND.

Also, i've been saying it for years, but i'd still like to see Andy in a big game without Marvin Lewis.  The prime time choking dates back to pre-Andy days.  We can't be sure it was all him.  Because he wasn't the only one on those ML teams that froze up in the spotlight.  The vaunted Zimmer defense always sucked too.

(i think it's likely Andy was part of the problem too, btw, but a team with few options should consider trying it for a 5th or 6th rounder).

• Like 2