Trading Stafford

LionArkie

https://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/2020/02/13/sources-lions-in-trade-talks-to-deal-matthew-stafford/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=snd&utm_content=wdiv4

Rumors about a Stafford trade are coming out.  I don't think we trade him nor do I think this is true, but I do think this is to drive up the bidding for the #3 pick.  If we no longer have Stafford, Tua becomes a very real scenario.  So, if we traded Stafford, what kind of compensation would you want, and how would you want to move forward? 
Personally, I would want no less than a second and even then I don't think it is worth it.  I'm thinking at least a first if his medical checks out.  Am I overvaluing him?
Also, if we did make the trade and drafted Tua, I think I would want to sign Rivers for a two year contract to let Tua get nice and healthy before he takes over.

I don't think we should trade Stafford, but if we did it would cost well more than a 2nd.  Alex Smith is the type of QB that gets traded for a 2nd.  Stafford is a proven vet who hasn't had a team built around him.  I would want a 1st plus to consider it, especially given the cap hit we would have to deal with.  

Side note, It would be a very Lions thing to do to trade Stafford and then have Miami trade up to #2 and take Tua.  I know we would get Chase then, but Chase isnt winning us games with Driskell at QB.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I don't think we should trade Stafford, but if we did it would cost well more than a 2nd.  Alex Smith is the type of QB that gets traded for a 2nd.  Stafford is a proven vet who hasn't had a team built around him.  I would want a 1st plus to consider it, especially given the cap hit we would have to deal with.  

Side note, It would be a very Lions thing to do to trade Stafford and then have Miami trade up to #2 and take Tua.  I know we would get Chase then, but Chase isnt winning us games with Driskell at QB.  

This is a good point.  If we trade Stafford, is Young the most desirable pick for the Lions. I would think it would have to be Tua.

Edited by LionArkie

4 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

This is a good point.  If we trade Stafford, is Young the most desirable pick for the Lions. I would think it would have to be Tua.

If we trade Stafford, we for sure would target Tua.  But that would also make Miami more nervous and pay enough to Washington to get above us and take Tua as well. 

Lions GM Bob Quinn said that trade rumors surrounding QB Matthew Stafford are "100% false!"

It would cost the Lions $32 million against the cap for Stafford to *not* be on their roster in 2020. He also thrived in his first season under new OC Darrell Bevell before breaking his back. Any rumors suggesting Stafford could be on the move are assuredly false and erroneous.

take it for what its worth

33 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I figured as much. I think trading Stafford moves us even further back of being competitive and even less likely to go to the playoffs.

exactly, its not like the coaching staff n gm have all the time in the world,  they were almost fired after this year. the last thing they can do is trade Stafford and start over

Trading Stafford, Drafting the right QB and investing in the OL would be the smart thing moving forward. Get out of that massive contract and you can invest in some playmakers while your QB is on his rookie contract, you might go 5-11 or 6-10 for one season then the next year they would be primed for a playoff run on top of having a top 10 draft pick to pick another stud.

First post, I figured it was a ruse, he looked good under Bevell and put up MVP numbers before hand so it would be strange to give him up. Either this was a test to see who’d bite and what they’d offer or his injury might be a issue. All the same it would be a good idea to draft a backup. Jordan Love in the 3rd or 4th or maybe Anthony Gordon in the 5th or 6th round would be a smart idea.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, DavisTyranus said:

First post, I figured it was a ruse, he looked good under Bevell and put up MVP numbers before hand so it would be strange to give him up. Either this was a test to see who’d bite and what they’d offer or his injury might be a issue. All the same it would be a good idea to draft a backup. Jordan Love in the 3rd or 4th or maybe Anthony Gordon in the 5th or 6th round would be a smart idea.

Welcome to the forum.  Always good to see new faces and perspectives post.  

As for your comment.  i agree.  There isn't a reason to trade him unless his back is that worrisome which I will leave that up to the team doctors.  I would like a better option behind him though so agree with the 5-7th round QB pick if we like someone. 

47 minutes ago, DavisTyranus said:

Welcome aboard! We definitely need to start going after some backup options.  I'm still not even that opposed to taking Tua, it won't help us as much for next year, but I think it will pay big dividends in the future.  Either way, I don't want to see Stafford going right now.

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Welcome to the forum.  Always good to see new faces and perspectives post.  

As for your comment.  i agree.  There isn't a reason to trade him unless his back is that worrisome which I will leave that up to the team doctors.  I would like a better option behind him though so agree with the 5-7th round QB pick if we like someone. 

Thanks

☺️

2 hours ago, LionArkie said:

Welcome aboard! We definitely need to start going after some backup options.  I'm still not even that opposed to taking Tua, it won't help us as much for next year, but I think it will pay big dividends in the future.  Either way, I don't want to see Stafford going right now.

Agreed, and thank you.

Your ownership, coaches and front office wpuld be crazy to trade him. For my mind it wpuld have to be a high 1st this year or two 1st toal to get him. 

Im sorry to hear they are doing this 

If he went to the pats it would be great for him. 

Another option wpuld be the colts.

• Like 1