Trading Stafford

LionArkie

I really hope that this "fake news" was pushed by someone within the organization.

I feel that the best thing for this team moving forward is Chase Young, and I really don't think it's all that close: Young immediately elevates Flowers and our young secondary, turning this defense from below average to very good in just one off-season. (Not that it matters, but, of all of the 'realistic' Madden sims I've tried with various 2020 draft strategies, drafting Young was the only one that landed us a Super Bowl, and it was during the 2021-2022 season.)

The best way to get Young is to convince another team to offer Washington a king's ransom to move ahead of us, so floating such a rumor is a great way of fueling that move. (Watch for tons of praise for Tua from 'members of the organization' after his workout.)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I really hope that this "fake news" was pushed by someone within the organization.

I feel that the best thing for this team moving forward is Chase Young, and I really don't think it's all that close: Young immediately elevates Flowers and our young secondary, turning this defense from below average to very good in just one off-season. (Not that it matters, but, of all of the 'realistic' Madden sims I've tried with various 2020 draft strategies, drafting Young was the only one that landed us a Super Bowl, and it was during the 2021-2022 season.)

The best way to get Young is to convince another team to offer Washington a king's ransom to move ahead of us, so floating such a rumor is a great way of fueling that move. (Watch for tons of praise for Tua from 'members of the organization' after his workout.)

I am beginning to hope Young some how falls to us at 3. After putting some more thought to it, having him with the exact same personal otherwise (injures aside) would have really brought Patricia's vision between the lines. That should still hold true with the turnover we have on D this off-season.

• Like 2

I wouldn't be opposed to drafting Tua and trading Stafford in 2021. I'd want 2 1sts for him, and I think we'd get it. Play Stafford this year and just ship Tua off to the Wayne State medical research department for a bionic hip and have him heal up while holding clippy. It could potentially be best both for our long term success and for Stafford's legacy as a player, (assuming he can win elsewhere. I think he can.)

I absolutely love Stafford and know that he's always been a huge part of the solution that never materialized. He has never been a part of the problem. I don't, however, think the Lions are going to be particularly competitive soon. I think his contract prevents Detroit from making ANY contractual mistakes elsewhere, and that's just not going to happen for us. I don't feel good about any team rebuilding underneath the shadow of a contract like that. This team is more than 1 draft away from even making the playoffs... and I don't see us having success in the playoffs at all with this core.

All of that being said, I don't even expect the Lions to win again. I never saw Bobby Layne, but I'm going to limb out and say that Stafford is the best QB Detroit has ever had. I'll be entirely fine if we keep him. He's a great player and I'd love for him to retire a Lion.

*I'd much prefer the Chase Young theory. Chase Young theory good.

Edited by nagahide13
  • Like 2

Stafford is not going to be traded this off-season. I wouldn't rule it out entirely if he's healthy, the season goes down like the Hindenburg and there is a regime change. 

Some of the scenarios and the capital in return are laughable. I just saw a thing about the Bears trading him for a 2nd round pick. A top level QB being traded to a division rival for pennies on the dollar. And we're the ones that drink the kool-aid? 

The only way that this could happen is if Stafford is trying to force himself out and he agrees to something financially where it wouldn't totally handcuff the Lions this season. There is no chance they're eating a $32M cap hit. 

• Like 1

Shouldn't trade him, but I don't get why the Lions aren't being mocked more to draft Tua.  Stafford is 32, which is not that old for a QB, but he's getting up there.  Tua probably wouldn't be able to play in the first year anyway.  You draft Tua and let him sit for a year or two behind Stafford.

Maybe I'm off base and people think the Lions have a chance to 'win now', meaning they could potentially win the NFC North next season.  I surely don't see that, but I guess it's possible.  And if that's the thinking, then I guess another player who can play now at a position of need would be better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, showtime said:

Shouldn't trade him, but I don't get why the Lions aren't being mocked more to draft Tua.  Stafford is 32, which is not that old for a QB, but he's getting up there.  Tua probably wouldn't be able to play in the first year anyway.  You draft Tua and let him sit for a year or two behind Stafford.

Maybe I'm off base and people think the Lions have a chance to 'win now', meaning they could potentially win the NFC North next season.  I surely don't see that, but I guess it's possible.  And if that's the thinking, then I guess another player who can play now at a position of need would be better.

I think there are several of us who believe Tua would be the best for the Lions in the long term. However, ownership gave a playoff contention mandate that has management behind the 8 ball.  Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing Tua drafted at 3, but I would be surprised if the Lions did it as it helps us none next year. If the Lions could manage a trade down, pick up Tua then trade stafford at years end for a future 1st, I'd be pretty giddy about it. And I know a trade down means a team is moving up for a qb, but who's to say it isn't Herbert?

*And when I say "several of us", I mean me...and hopefully at least one other person.  It just sounds lonely if I'm all by my lonesome on this one.

Edited by LionArkie
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LionArkie said:

I think there are several of us who believe Tua would be the best for the Lions in the long term. However, ownership gave a playoff contention mandate that has management behind the 8 ball.  Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing Tua drafted at 3, but I would be surprised if the Lions did it as it helps us none next year. If the Lions could manage a trade down, pick up Tua then trade stafford at years end for a future 1st, I'd be pretty giddy about it. And I know a trade down means a team is moving up for a qb, but who's to say it isn't Herbert?

*And when I say "several of us", I mean me...and hopefully at least one other person.  It just sounds lonely if I'm all by my lonesome on this one.

I read earlier today that the salary cap hit is not the 32mil we thought but is actually just under 25mil. That said, maybe trading Stafford is more realistic that we thought. 

What about Stafford for Tyrod Taylor and the 7th pick from the Chargers? That too much compensation?

Just a quick thought.. dont want to see him go, but.... 

Edited by BarryTheBest
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, BarryTheBest said:

I read earlier today that the salary cap hit is not the 32mil we thought but is actually just under 25mil. That said, maybe trading Stafford is more realistic that we thought. 

What about Stafford for Tyrod Taylor and the 7th pick from the Chargers? That too much compensation?

Just a quick thought.. dont want to see him go, but.... 

Not nearly enough, in my humble opinion. 

• 2 weeks later...

Prior to the 2020 college football season, many felt that Jake Fromm State Farm would be a top pick in the 2020 NFL Draft. That's clearly not the case, and he could possibly be available in the mid-late 2nd round.

If he's still on the board in the mid-2nd, and assuming that we 1) traded down from #3 and acquired additional picks, and 2) did not draft Tua, wouldn't it be a great idea to grab him and give him a few years behind Stafford? I'm starting to think that getting a stud at #5-#7, then a few other great players in the mid-late 1st and early 2nd, and leaving this draft with Fromm would be a great direction for this team: let Stafford start over the next two seasons, then move him to his desired location and hand the ball to Fromm for 2022, assuming that his development has warranted that decision.

6 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Prior to the 2020 college football season, many felt that Jake Fromm State Farm would be a top pick in the 2020 NFL Draft. That's clearly not the case, and he could possibly be available in the mid-late 2nd round.

If he's still on the board in the mid-2nd, and assuming that we 1) traded down from #3 and acquired additional picks, and 2) did not draft Tua, wouldn't it be a great idea to grab him and give him a few years behind Stafford? I'm starting to think that getting a stud at #5-#7, then a few other great players in the mid-late 1st and early 2nd, and leaving this draft with Fromm would be a great direction for this team: let Stafford start over the next two seasons, then move him to his desired location and hand the ball to Fromm for 2022, assuming that his development has warranted that decision.

I like Fromm as a leader and a winning mentality. His physical stuff does leave you wanting more but he is going to be playing inside a dome a minimum of 9/16 games per year (8 home + @ Minny). I wouldn't be opposed to taking Fromm and developing him. Luton from Oregon State is another interesting guy. Checks all the boxes in terms of physical traits. I don't know a lot about him at this point but he is being talked about as a guy that could be a sleeper. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I like Fromm as a leader and a winning mentality. His physical stuff does leave you wanting more but he is going to be playing inside a dome a minimum of 9/16 games per year (8 home + @ Minny). I wouldn't be opposed to taking Fromm and developing him. Luton from Oregon State is another interesting guy. Checks all the boxes in terms of physical traits. I don't know a lot about him at this point but he is being talked about as a guy that could be a sleeper. 

Another super sleeper is Cole McDonald from Hawaii. I watched a few of his games and the guy has a cannon! He most likely will be an UDFA.

8 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I think if we get Fromm, we have to acknowledge he is a game manager or at least that is how I view him.  I think it will be incredibly important to build the team around him.

*Meaning great defense and a running game <broken record, I know>.

Edited by LionArkie
  • Like 1